Christmas Presents

Jambo

Expats:

Does your Thai wife/partner expect to receive a Christmas Present?

Is she disappointed? 🤣

Are you disappointed when she does not give you a present on  (Visakha Bucha Day) Buddha's birthday? 🤣

Do you send gifts to family back in the home country?

Everybody:

What is the favourite present you have received at Christmas?

(Me, my first Kindle)

What was the present you received that most disappointed/pissed you off at the time?

(Me, a trouser press from my wife!)

In late December last year I was in Mae Sot ( north west Thailand) and we visited a huge discount clothing "warehouse" in the middle of nowhere.

It was packed with Thai's ( I was the only farang), the staff were all dressed up for Xmas and they were playing non-stop Slade etc over the sound system. They had a big Xmas tree outside with lights and also had three staff gift wrapping items in Xmas paper and had a queue.

This warehouse caters for virtually nobody but Thai's and I found the whole experience absolutely bizare.

Haven’t done Christmas presents for family for about 30 years now.
I don’t think that pisses the Thais off, however, birthdays, Valentine’s Day and Loy Kratong they expect something. Unfortunately I don’t do those either, which is probably one of the reasons why my relationships are always a disaster.
:)
I just like every day to be the same.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

In late December last year I was in Mae Sot ( north west Thailand) and we visited a huge discount clothing "warehouse" in the middle of nowhere.

It was packed with Thai's ( I was the only farang), the staff were all dressed up for Xmas and they were playing non-stop Slade etc over the sound system. They had a big Xmas tree outside with lights and also had three staff gift wrapping items in Xmas paper and had a queue.

This warehouse caters for virtually nobody but Thai's and I found the whole experience absolutely bizare.

All shopping malls around Thailand "dress up" for Christmas even in the boonies so clearly it's a big thing for many Thais these days as well, but apart from going out for a meal we don't really get into the Xmas spirit with gifts and a tree etc. 

I just bought tickets for our annual trip to Thailand so there's her Xmas gift as far as I'm concerned, but may buy something small to annoy her as I'm sure she got me FA lol. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I can say it used to really annoy me at Christmas time as the ex-Thai misses many years ago made a complete shopping list of things she wanted. I don’t think she quite understood it was about giving and receiving (waiting for the jokes)😀

When I explained it better to her and I pulled together my list...hers became a lot shorter all of a sudden

12 hours ago, Esco said:

All shopping malls around Thailand "dress up" for Christmas even in the boonies

Agreed, but only because they all see it as a potential money making opportunity just like shopping malls the western world over but not one single Thai I have ever known gives a Christmas present to another Thai.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jambo said:

My Christmas present in 2007 ( where do the years go?) from me to me was a Boxing Day/Night threesome with two of Santa's little helpers.  🤣

cHRISTMAS PRESSIE.jpg

Sure beat a bottle of Old Spice!

I count nine.

Haven't you heard of the twelve days of Christmas. You might have had to double dip.

• Haha 2

Give wifey a present for Christmas, put up the tree in BKK at her house and will do so soon here too. All good. Give my kids money which they are quite happy with. 

We will have X-mas dinner here at the house this year and wifey will "knock it out of the park" with her cooking skills.

Personally, I still like X-mas and all the things going on during this time. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Give wifey a present for Christmas, put up the tree in BKK at her house and will do so soon here too. All good. Give my kids money which they are quite happy with. 

We will have X-mas dinner here at the house this year and wifey will "knock it out of the park" with her cooking skills.

Personally, I still like X-mas and all the things going on during this time. 

do you adopt. am availabel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Always give each other presents, jewellery, perfume, books, cloths and the like, but the kid gets the most every year. 
Tree goes up mid December with all the decorations etc. 
Christmas dinner is a big thing in our house and is one of the few times the wife eats English food. We tend to spread out opening presents over the day between meals and maybe a walk to the the beach if weather permits. 
Boxing Day I go to the pub for a few and come home to a Thai meal that the wife has cooked for me. 
Tradition, so it’s gotta be done and I love it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1