Cost of flights back to the U.K.

Proffesor

Have to admit that the last time I had to fly back to the U.K. was back in the late summer of 2015, so I'm obviously out of touch.

From what I recall, Emirates BKK to Glasgow, leaving on the 3rd September returning on the 31st September, was just under THB 100k for the 2 of us. Cattle class.

I've just looked on Expedia ( other flight supermarkets are available ) and found return flights for a week in mid-February next year, BKK to Birmingham from several airlines, including Emirates ( which has a flight duration of just over 16 hours, so very short lay-over ) is markedly less than THB 30k.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but when/why did the prices drop so dramatically ? Is it due to the THB being so strong ?

13 hours ago, Proffesor said:

Have to admit that the last time I had to fly back to the U.K. was back in the late summer of 2015, so I'm obviously out of touch.

From what I recall, Emirates BKK to Glasgow, leaving on the 3rd September returning on the 31st September, was just under THB 100k for the 2 of us. Cattle class.

I've just looked on Expedia ( other flight supermarkets are available ) and found return flights for a week in mid-February next year, BKK to Birmingham from several airlines, including Emirates ( which has a flight duration of just over 16 hours, so very short lay-over ) is markedly less than THB 30k.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but when/why did the prices drop so dramatically ? Is it due to the THB being so strong ?

I did Edinburgh return (via Heathrow) in August booking direct with BA for 37k which was the cheapest at the time. I did the same two years before and again BA was the cheapest.

Apart from the fact the back seat TV was shite ( but so was the film choice) I have no complaints about BA other than the fact that 10 1/2 hours to Heathrow is a very long first leg.

9 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I did Edinburgh return (via Heathrow) in August booking direct with BA for 37k which was the cheapest at the time. I did the same two years before and again BA was the cheapest.

Apart from the fact the back seat TV was shite ( but so was the film choice) I have no complaints about BA other than the fact that 10 1/2 hours to Heathrow is a very long first leg.

Christ did it have an extra engine lol

10.5 hours Bangkok to Heathrow ??   Quickest I've ever known was Qantas in mid 90's who did it in 11 hours 20 when I was on staff tickets.  Thai schedule it at 13 hours 5 minutes and British Airways at 13 hours 15minutes

Quicker outbound obviously

11 hours ago, RR007 said:

Christ did it have an extra engine lol

10.5 hours Bangkok to Heathrow ??   Quickest I've ever known was Qantas in mid 90's who did it in 11 hours 20 when I was on staff tickets.  Thai schedule it at 13 hours 5 minutes and British Airways at 13 hours 15minutes

Quicker outbound obviously

Sorry.

I meant 13 1/2 hours but I took two antihistamine (the type that warn about drowsiness) and slept for 6 hours. :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1