Struck down with "Manflu"

Jambo

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

Possibly as a result of this cold weather reducing my natural resistance I have been struck down by a delibitating bout of Manflu.

Manflu (aka by females as penwat or the common cold) is characterised in men by a deep feeling of being sorry for ourselves and the need for understanding and continuous sympathy from the rest of the world and particularly our wives and partners.

Sneezing like mad and got through a box of tissues driving back on Thursday. Immediately phoned Sai , still up in Mae Sot, that evening to tell her how bad I was feeling only for her to remind me to put the dogs coats on them as it was getting cold at night. Tried another attempt to gain the sympathy vote only to be told that Sai hopes I will not have given it to her.

Friday got through no less than 4 boxes of tissues and in between sent messages to the UK and phoned a few friends to let them know how bad I was feeling. Both Daughter and Grandaughter in Scotland have colds so not much sympathy there.

Went to the pharmacy and paid 30 baht for some medication called Nasolin  which states it gives symptomatic relief to all the symptons of Manflu. Just kept sending me off to sleep so I recommend it for flights to/from the UK. Also went to the "Western Produce" shop in Bangsaray and bought 6 Cadbury's cream eggs as they were on 2 for 1 special offer. Pigging out of them was a comfort in my hour of need.

Not much better Sunday and had to get further supplies of tissues. Watched a great deal of TV  and continued to fall asleep from the effects of the medication.

Feeling much better today and heroically think I might well pull through after all.

flushed the note I left for Sai giving the User Name and password for an online bank account of mine down the toilet. 😀

As they say.

If you're looking for sympathy you'll find it in the dictionary between sleaze and syphilis.

• Great Info 1
  • Haha 6

It’s just a cold - soldier on! Runny nose can be fixed and the rest is paracetamol! 

Last time I felt like shit whilst on holiday - I got in touch with a couple of friends I’d been seeing the nights before 🙃 and the two of them came over with food and drinks. We ended up watching movies in my large bed. Whilst in and out of sleep I found time for a bit of play but I couldn’t do much so I left them to it. 😩😴

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, karon steve said:

Man flu can be bad but do you remember all the fuss over bird flu?

I remember being the only one in the Holiday Inn Crown Plaza in Bangkok ordering scrambled eggs for breakfast as there were no eggs on show in the buffet.

At the time Thailand was busy slaughtering all its chickens.

opened the box of grown up clothes this weekend, aka  as jeans, long trousers, sweaters and a favourite Browning shooting jacket.  laugh if you will but 5am ios freezing to me, 17.   and I would like to get thru wtihout too uch man flu this year.  the sweaters wont fit so if there are any skinny bastards out there, as I was when I bought them, they can be yours 😉 

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2019 at 12:16 PM, fygjam said:

As they say.

If you're looking for sympathy you'll find it in the dictionary between sleaze and syphilis.

Thats why I prefer empathy, as it is between ejaculate and erection

Edited by Lirchenfeld
  • Haha 2

Hope you get better buddy, I was worried wifey here might get some sort of flu. Like yourself, the changing weather patterns for her being used to the humidity year around there with the now fall weather here,  had me worried. Nothing yet...she drinks apple cider vinegar and a bunch of "Thai stuff" she buys at the local Asian market. Your wife try to get you to drink some of this god awful stuff they ingest?  Hate to ruin the party here, but god I cannot rememeber the last time I had any flu or anything of the like.

With that said though, I got an e-mail from my Doctor last week I have seen once last Feb for a yearly physical and blood work right? All is well. She did tell me though that I should at my age, consider a flu shot. I have never had one, just lucky I guess?  Said Ok I will come by last Thursday and listen to her "speech"  She tells me that Influenza is running high this year so far. Ok, she asked me if I ever heard of this band called "Kiss" and did I know who Paul Stanley is? Now mind you, this gal was born in India, came here when she was 7 years old, decided Medicine was for her and went to Stanford Medical School and did her residency at Baylor in Texas. 

She said all the Doctors in the world get these findings/dissertations from the CDC and used Paul Stanley as a case example last month for Influenza. Why is that? He did not get a flu shot in Nov as recommended and got Influenza. They had to cancel all of their Australian tour and had to give refunds to everyone. He is 67 years old. 

I got one and my left arm is still hurting.......piece of mind is important these days. 

https://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/Music/2019/11/14/Kiss-cancels-Australian-tour-due-to-Paul-Stanleys-illness/3221573748867/

We’ve all had our flu jabs (son had the spray up the nose job) as we do every year. Either at the Doc’s or at the local pharmacy. Luckily none of us have had the flu for the last 9 years, but when I have had it, I never used as many tissues as you mate, but it’s laid me low for days.

Maybe you should stop trying to pull your head through the eye of your dick, that’ll save at least 3 boxes of tissues a week. 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Hopefully a shot of this will help ... 😉 

E3E4E901-E5CF-46CC-B2DE-27628FF30DD0.jpeg

I had a sore throat last week, drank a bottle of Rioja reserva plus 2 whiskeys and felt right as rain in the morning. You ought to be too! 

8 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Hopefully a shot of this will help ... 😉 

E3E4E901-E5CF-46CC-B2DE-27628FF30DD0.jpeg

That reminds me of all the years in a row (13 to be precise) that I used to go to the Cheltenham Festival and always had a few "hot toddies" at the Jameson Pavilion.

It would certainly have helped of that I have no doubt.

Feeling so much better this morning and went for my early morning cycle ride. Suffered the ignomy of being overtaken by yet another Sheila in full cycling clobber but put that down to my weakened state. 😀

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, KhunDon said:

We’ve all had our flu jabs (son had the spray up the nose job) as we do every year. Either at the Doc’s or at the local pharmacy. Luckily none of us have had the flu for the last 9 years, but when I have had it, I never used as many tissues as you mate, but it’s laid me low for days.

Maybe you should stop trying to pull your head through the eye of your dick, that’ll save at least 3 boxes of tissues a week. 🤣

I have had real flu only a couple of times in the past and on both occasions it was as much as I could do to drag myself out of bed for a pee and took 2 weeks or more to fully recover.

I just had a heavy cold and for two days I could hardly stop blowing my nose. But it was very short lived and I am all but over it now. I quite enjoyed wallowing in self pity which is not that uncommon in men suffering from "Manflu." 🤣

For 8 years prior to retiring to Thailand I was self employed working from home. As I was also for the first couple of years acting as a carer for my wife I always each year had a flu jab which I paid for myself as it was not free on the National Health after my period as a carer ceased . Before I first came to Thailand I had a whole range of jabs for all sorts of things I might possibly contract over here. Much to my surprise all that lot were free which seemed to me to make no sense when I paid for the flu jab? 

Edited by Jambo
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/9/2019 at 6:48 AM, Glasseye said:

Seems to be busting out all over the place lately. I have still been lucky the past few months. The clock is ticking though I fear.

Well.… Today a different story. I'm hacking my brains out and snot flowing like a river. No sore throat or fever though. I new it would eventually catch up with me. Proper rest should knock it out within a couple days, I hope.

16 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Well.… Today a different story. I'm hacking my brains out and snot flowing like a river. No sore throat or fever though. I new it would eventually catch up with me. Proper rest should knock it out within a couple days, I hope.

Good luck mate.

I am about 80% back to normal and that was 5 days from when it started.

I was blowing my nose so much I burst blood vessels.

I was out this morning power walking and my two dogs plus their male pack leader were having the time of their lives charging around me and play fighting. I have a large area of waste land opposite my house which is ideal for walking laps round it but the Thai 'Old Dear" who lives next door tells me it is full of snakes including some large pythons. Hopefully the dogs will scare them off. :default_biggrin:

Edited by Jambo
  • Like 1