Even if you have insurance,it still might not be good enough.

Skalliwag

His Insurance company sound like a bunch of cnuts ... hopefully the publicity will help then do the right thing

I now have an annual policy that covers me for 90 days away each trip ...

With my previous policy I have claimed twice , once when a friend who was travelling with me collapsed and died the night before we were due to travel and then when my mother was dying with bowel cancer - the first one I was paid out , the second they refused because I should have notified them about her condition.... even though we didn't know how serious it was when I booked my holiday and we had very little notice after the cancer turned aggressive  - so mixed results for me , I still wouldn't travel without though and try and pick the larger companies 

22 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

His Insurance company sound like a bunch of cnuts ... hopefully the publicity will help then do the right thing

I now have an annual policy that covers me for 90 days away each trip ...

With my previous policy I have claimed twice , once when a friend who was travelling with me collapsed and died the night before we were due to travel and then when my mother was dying with bowel cancer - the first one I was paid out , the second they refused because I should have notified them about her condition.... even though we didn't know how serious it was when I booked my holiday and we had very little notice after the cancer turned aggressive  - so mixed results for me , I still wouldn't travel without though and try and pick the larger companies 

I really need to have a closer look at mine too.

i only grab what I think I need when I need it,but sounds like you have it sorted better than me.

I do a shit pile of business through the broker I buy from,I have everything I own with them.

I specifically ask if I fall off a MOTo taxi?Covered.

Riding a moped with international license.Covered.

Riding in wants to golf.Covered.

Driving rental cars...covered.

Falling over pissed.Covered.lolol.

I don’t go into possible beatings from scorched bargirls....but I figured if that happens,it’s probably my fault anyways.

• Like 1

I spent all my employed working life in the insurance industry and I assure you that if you provide an excuse, inadvertantly or otherwise, for an insurance company to opt out of paying a claim then they will do so.

A common one is non-declaration of a previous condition. Don't even think of not declaring a pre-condition, any pre-condition, because they follow up and if they find out they will turn down the claim.

I was at one time Compliance Manager for a Scottish Life Assurance Company which is a fairly senior position. That did not stop Norwich Union  doing all they could not to pay out on a claim I made for a suitcase and its contents stolen by the thieving baggage handlers at Heathrow. I was getting absolutely nowhere getting them to settle the claim until I asked the General Manager of the company to phone the GM  of Norwich Union who authorised payment the same day.

• Like 1

I declare all, but opt out of being insured for them, stuff like I once had a blood clot via DVT on a plane, also take a statin, and a tablet for high blood pressure. Not insured for anything related to them, but declared. 

Only ever had to claim once, was in Thailand, and no problem whatsoever, they actually insisted I get an ambulance and go to hospital, when all I had wanted was them to pay for a change of flight as I had the runs bad and vomiting after a dodgy squid krapow. No way could I have made the flight. They did, and also paid everything else upfront, hospital stay etc, as I said I was due to go home the next day,was skint. They were very good, their overseas office was actually based in Bangkok, which was a bonus re time zones etc.

Edited by Krapow
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Jambo a few posts above nailed it. Insurance companies are in business to collect premiums, not to pay claims. They will happily take your premiums for years, then when you have claim they'll argue that something in your original application filed years before wasn't true and therefore they don't have to pay it. Be absolutely straight with your insurance company. Don't give them any excuse to reject your claim or they will.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2019 at 4:37 AM, Krapow said:

I declare all, but opt out of being insured for them, stuff like I once had a blood clot via DVT on a plane, also take a statin, and a tablet for high blood pressure. Not insured for anything related to them, but declared. 

Only ever had to claim once, was in Thailand, and no problem whatsoever, they actually insisted I get an ambulance and go to hospital, when all I had wanted was them to pay for a change of flight as I had the runs bad and vomiting after a dodgy squid krapow. No way could I have made the flight. They did, and also paid everything else upfront, hospital stay etc, as I said I was due to go home the next day,was skint. They were very good, their overseas office was actually based in Bangkok, which was a bonus re time zones etc.

And the name of the insurance company is ....?

1 hour ago, rajs123 said:

And the name of the insurance company is ....?

Staysure. 

Just renewed with them on Friday. Got 15% discount. Worldwide all countries, family policy, trips up to 50 days, which can be extended, £144 in total for all 3 of us. 

I worked for Equity and Law for 4 years (Axa now) and never saw a claim denied except for the most blatant cases. Insurance companies do  want to pay a claim contary to what some believe for the simple reason it garners bad publicity and they always expect to pay out with what actuaries predict year by year anyway

I've had 2 claims within Thailand paid direct by Insurer. I have also claimed on policy within UK when I had a date change outbound on a flight. I hadnt followed protocol apparently because I rebooked the change date without telling them in advance (the insurers)....every reason to deny...No

Paid out in full less excess with a gentle reminder on letter with cheque to let them know in future.  My son had a car crash within 2 weeks of him passing test. Wasnt his fault at all insurers wrote the car off and paid out £1710 which was over £450 above book price (Axa again).  Do not believe anyone who says insurers dont want to pay absolute crock of shit.

• Like 1