iT'S A FAIR COP GUV!

Jambo

10 minutes ago, Jambo said:

So I was a bit late going through the traffic lights on the Sukhumvit near Nong Nooch.

Perhaps, I was a lot late.

Okay, just maybe, the lights might have been an itsy bitsy little bit red.

Anyway, not dangerous as the lights are just for u-turns with little traffic so I did not give it another thought as I rode my wee honda a mile or so further down the Sukhumvit to the next set of lights which were definite red and I stopped next to another m/bike on the stop line. Sensed another m/bike come up and stop next to me but a little behind me.

Off we go and the motorbike behind me joins me and turns out to be a big real Honda with a big proper real "Starsky & Hutch" policeman astride it and telling me to pull over.

"What did I do wrong? You were next to me at the traffic lights."

"I was way behind you at the previous lights and watch you "whiz" through them and I follow you."

He actually said "whiz" and made suitable "whizing" gestures with his hand. 😀

He takes my driving licence and tells me to follw him to the next lights where there is a police station. Now that was news to me but there it is being one of those small local police stations.

In we go after he opens it up and we sit opposite one another at the one desk.

I try a vain effort at trying to completely forget the offending lights but this is high tech Mr BiB who gets his phone to speak to me in English which tells me

"You were observed going through a red light."

It's a fair cop guv. Time to give up graciously.

He gets a folder out of the drawer which turns out to be a 4 page list of possible offences with next to them written in smudgy biro the applicable fine.

All of them were 1,000 baht fine.........funny that. :default_biggrin:

He identifies "Driving dangerously."

"Do I pay the 1,000 baht now?" says I

I have said the magic words and his face breaks into a big smile and he confirms

"Pay now and I return your driving licence and no more for you to do."

Wasn't that kind of him and so eco friendly as no need to use up precious paper on a ticket. 🤣

He is all small talk now and seems to transform into a nice guy.

Transaction completed and we are outside with me admiring his big Honda.

"Nice bike" says I

"Yes, I drive it very fast!"

I hold out my hand and say

"1,000 baht fine."

He pisses himself laughing and sends me on my way with the words

"See you tomorrow!"

"I like you, but I hope not" gets him laughing again.

magic

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jambo said:

So I was a bit late going through the traffic lights on the Sukhumvit near Nong Nooch.

Perhaps, I was a lot late.

Okay, just maybe, the lights might have been an itsy bitsy little bit red.

Anyway, not dangerous as the lights are just for u-turns with little traffic so I did not give it another thought as I rode my wee honda a mile or so further down the Sukhumvit to the next set of lights which were definite red and I stopped next to another m/bike on the stop line. Sensed another m/bike come up and stop next to me but a little behind me.

Off we go and the motorbike behind me joins me and turns out to be a big real Honda with a big proper real "Starsky & Hutch" policeman astride it and telling me to pull over.

"What did I do wrong? You were next to me at the traffic lights."

"I was way behind you at the previous lights and watch you "whiz" through them and I follow you."

He actually said "whiz" and made suitable "whizing" gestures with his hand. 😀

He takes my driving licence and tells me to follw him to the next lights where there is a police station. Now that was news to me but there it is being one of those small local police stations.

In we go after he opens it up and we sit opposite one another at the one desk.

I try a vain effort at trying to completely forget the offending lights but this is high tech Mr BiB who gets his phone to speak to me in English which tells me

"You were observed going through a red light."

It's a fair cop guv. Time to give up graciously.

He gets a folder out of the drawer which turns out to be a 4 page list of possible offences with next to them written in smudgy biro the applicable fine.

"Do I pay the 1,000 baht now?" says I

I have said the magic words and his face breaks into a big smile and he confirms

"Pay now and I return your driving licence and no more for you to do."

Wasn't that kind of him and so eco friendly as no need to use up precious paper on a ticket. 🤣

He is all small talk now and seems to transform into a nice guy.

Transaction completed and we are outside with me admiring his big Honda.

"Nice bike" says I

"Yes, I drive it very fast!"

I hold out my hand and say

"1,000 baht fine."

He pisses himself laughing and sends me on my way with the words

"See you tomorrow!"

"I like you, but I hope not" gets him laughing again.

That's why we love Thailand!

• Like 1

1000 abit steep I would of haggled, The last time I was stopped I told him I only had Cambodia money on me I gave him 4000 riels ($1) and told him it was big money which he seemed very pleased about smiled and wave me on my way, Would of loved to of seen him at the money exchange later.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, buffalo said:

1000 abit steep I would of haggled, The last time I was stopped I told him I only had Cambodia money on me I gave him 4000 riels ($1) and told him it was big money which he seemed very pleased about smiled and wave me on my way, Would of loved to of seen him at the money exchange later.

Next time try that with Vietnamese Dong 😉

• Haha 1

On 12/21/2019 at 6:02 PM, Jambo said:

Too bad he it wasn't for "reckless driving". Apparently the fine for that is only 500B, or maybe you have to be a former MP to get that rate. 🙄

Thawee denies trying to escape after accident

When police arrived, he asked them if there was a motorcycle repair shop nearby. He then paid for the repair work, gave the boy a sum of money for reparations, and paid a 500-baht fine to the police for reckless driving, Mr Thawee said.

• Like 1