You will not catch me!

Jambo

My imediate response to the above would be to quote one John McEnroe and say, 'you can not be serious.'  I can see advantages in painting at the coolest part of the day, thus allowing the paint to dry more slowly and hopefully allowing one to achieve a smoother surface.

That said some time ago, I had a similar discussion with one UKGuy, when I brought paint pads and dust sheets with a view to giving the condo a fresh coat of emulsion.  Brian was quite adamant that home decorating could and would be classed as working as the alternative to doing it yourself would be paying a Thai decorator.

I fail to see how docorating, which is purely maintaining one's dwelling could be classed as working.  

Taking the argument one stage further, should one be allowed to cook one's own meals in a dwelling as one could employ a cook?  What about the washing up; should one not employ a housekeeper.  Same argument applies for cleaning.

What do members think?

• Haha 1

Maintaining your own house should not be classed as working.

When I replaced the electrical switchboard in our house I had to isolate the power at the meter. One of the neighbours accused me of working illegally and also of trying to steal power. I had the wife get me the telephones numbers of the local police and electrical company which I gave to him and asked him to call them if he had any issues. Never heard another word from him.

The wife got the inside of the house repainted years ago and the work quality was appalling. I spent a few days redoing the whole house. Even though I am a hopeless painter my effort was far better than the original work.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, john luke said:

My imediate response to the above would be to quote one John McEnroe and say, 'you can not be serious.'  I can see advantages in painting at the coolest part of the day, thus allowing the paint to dry more slowly and hopefully allowing one to achieve a smoother surface.

Correct.

I was using story tellers licence. 🤣

I let the dogs out at 6.20am as usual and started painting by 6:40 am by which time it was light and relatively cool although it got humid very quickly.

Good to do something physical other than in the garden and I was amazed how much I had done by 10:30 when I declared myself knackered. I had done all the preparation work so it was just a matter of slapping on exterior emulsion. I had been using the dogs old sleeping mats to protect the driveway tiles round the edges. At one point I turned round to find one of my dogs asleep on a mat with her back against the freshly painted wall. 😀

I was really only illustrating the fact of not being allowed officially to paint one's own house.

• Thumbs Up 1