Well I hope you did better than me Tommy Dee!

Jambo

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

Set off in the Car yesterday and turned on the radio to hear Tommy's voice saying

"So NARAK means the same as SUAI"

(It is Tommy getting his weekly Thai lesson in the studio.)

"No", says the Thai lady "Not the same, as NARAK means more like "cute"  than beautiful"

"Ah", say Tommy "Much easier to use than SUAI as if you get the tone wrong it means something completely different than beautiful"

"Yes, that is correct" says Thai lady"

"I will give it a try at the weekend" says Tommy"

Well, I hope you did better than me mate

I phoned teerak Sai this morning for a video call on Line as Sai is up in Mae Sot waiting for me to join her on Monday.

Much to my pleasant surprise Sai answers the phone naked from the waste up having just come out of the shower. We both laugh and I say

"That is a nice unexpected welcome. You look very narak Sai."

Sai stops laughing and says

"Narak??   You never say Narak to me before!"

"It is a new word I just learnt as you do look cute this morning."

"Why you learnt the Thai for cute? Who have you been telling that they look Narak?"

"Nobody teerak ....I learnt it from Tommy Dee"

"You tell him he looked .........Narak!"

And promptly ended the call 🤣

You have to laugh.

5555 PMSL laughing mate.  she will never believe you didnt learn it from a working girl you might have come across.

my favourite is Wang Ka...  Wang mai crap.. menas are you free,  Wang Ka is the girls reply to say she is free.  but i PMSL when we did that one, and fon hadnt got a clue why i was laughing

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

Set off in the Car yesterday and turned on the radio to hear Tommy's voice saying

"No", says the Thai lady "Not the same, as NARAK means more like "cute"  than beautiful"

"Ah", say Tommy "Much easier to use than SUAI as if you get the tone wrong it means something completely different than beautiful"

I phoned teerak Sai this morning for a video call on Line as Sai is up in Mae Sot waiting for me to join her on Monday.

Much to my pleasant surprise Sai answers the phone naked from the waste up having just come out of the shower. We both laugh and I say

"Why you learnt the Thai for cute? Who have you been telling that they look Narak?"

And promptly ended the call 🤣

You have to laugh.

funniest story in 2019. u made my day. hahahaha

• Like 1

Like a lot of you, always tried to speak some Thai with one of the lovelies of the night I met over the years. 

One time I said to a potential gal that was at "Suzie Wongs" Soi Cowboy hoping she might be impressed with my Thai speaking skills" Khun Na Rak Jing Jing" 

She said "I just look cute and not velly sexy Ka?" 

Back to the playbook the next morning. 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, fygjam said:

NAA (it's a long aah sound) face, RAK love. NAARAK lovable, cute.

You could try this corruption next time.

NAAYET. NAA face, YET fuk (slang) NAAYET fukable.

I ordered stuffed omelette on my last trip and asked for KAI YET SAI MOO ... waitress looked shocked then started giggling... it should have been YAT  🙂 

5 hours ago, Esco said:

Narak is used to call kids n babies cute. 

You don't typically call your wife or even barfine narak lol. 

Yes. As I understand it, narak has a similar meaning as the japanese kawaii. Not a word you use about grown up people. Use it for children, cartoon characters, otaku, emojis, role play etc.

8 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I ordered stuffed omelette on my last trip and asked for KAI YET SAI MOO ... waitress looked shocked then started giggling... it should have been YAT  🙂 

yes YET means go fuck.  Yet bet means fuck a duck.  and yet meer means go fcuk your mother   555

• Haha 1

Except for the job, never did any effort to learn Thai, qnd sure not to speak to a b/g.

2 years in Bali, and I can barely say good morning and thank you. Anyway most people speak decent to good English here.

Yeah, yeah, I know...it's wrong. But I dont give a F.F.

i think we have doen several hundred of these.  maybe time to put them all together as a collection who knows.  i am the worst student for sure but none is ever scripted.  its all off the cuff so a bit more fun and relaxed.  and NO I dont speak fluent thai :)

11 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Oh my something to the effect of “ I want to shag the omelette” ? 

Guy I met up in CM said he went to his GF house to meet her Mom. Clasped his hands, did the wai and said “ Sawadee Krap, Mamasan” 

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Except for the job, never did any effort to learn Thai, qnd sure not to speak to a b/g.

2 years in Bali, and I can barely say good morning and thank you. Anyway most people speak decent to good English here.

Yeah, yeah, I know...it's wrong. But I dont give a F.F.

Are you expecting a high five now? 

And promptly ended the call [emoji1787]
You have to laugh.

So funny mate. Didn’t you know you’re not allowed to learn anything new in the Thai language without her approval?
Funny story :)
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

yes,  5 tones in the thai language and so one word can have 5 different meanings.   ffs.  try mai..  tis one of the reasons why i struggle 🙂

Try ordering 9 white rice... 

Kao kao kao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

yes,  5 tones in the thai language and so one word can have 5 different meanings.   ffs.  try mai..  tis one of the reasons why i struggle 🙂

And I don't know the difference between any of them because I cannot hear the difference.

I topped up with petrol today with "Gasahol gow sip harr .....bad  roi sawardeekrup"

and the guy said 

"Ninety five?" 😥

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jambo said:

And I don't know the difference between any of them because I cannot hear the difference.

I topped up with petrol today with "Gasahol gow sip harr .....bad  roi sawardeekrup"

and the guy said 

"Ninety five?" 😥

I used to use the Thai word for 95, or 91 in my case. But then heard other Thais just speaking the digits, "gow ha", or in my case "gow nung". I also heard some Thais ordering gas at the roadside vendors by the color of the gas they wanted. 91 is green so they would order "see kiaow".

And when I first moved here I tried continuing my practice of filling up the tank and paying whatever the pump said I owed for the fill up. I quickly gave up on that when I realized I lacked the Thai language skills to convey what I wanted, and the fact that I was probably the only one asking for a fill up.