Wow rolling Tobacco banned from sale from May 2020....

RR007

Was all over the news last night apparently the legislation was passed in 2016 but will be introduced in May this year

Having read all the articles this will fan an explosive black market for rolling tobacco from outside the EU....... So in short from May because we're in transistion period we still abide to EU law meaning sale is withdrawn....... However obviously 1st Jan 2021 it can go back on sale but not in the entire eurozone.  You wont be able to buy in super cheap places like Bulgaria (as I did last summer) Poland Romania etc etc....note banned for sale but not illegal

Baccy coming in from the Emirates will be like gold dust make no mistake. Menthol cigarettes are gone as well

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7845451/Menthol-cigarettes-banned-UK-2020.html

I'm a non-smoker so not really followed this story but to my outsider's eye the story doesn't seem clear cut.

Are all forms of rolling tobacco being banned, or just those that contain menthol? (admittedly I'm ignorant as to whether there is such a thing)

Some of the pieces I've just been reading suggest the latter.

1 minute ago, Lemondropkid said:

I'm a non-smoker so not really followed this story but to my outsider's eye the story doesn't seem clear cut.

Are all forms of rolling tobacco being banned, or just those that contain menthol? (admittedly I'm ignorant as to whether there is such a thing)

Some of the pieces I've just been reading suggest the latter.

I read it as all rolling tobacco to be honest. Am guessing this will surface pretty quickly elsewhere so will keep an eye on it

10 minutes ago, RR007 said:

No I think its all rolling tobacco. Note the full stop at start of screenshot after "2020"

Screenshot_2020-01-03 is rolling tobacco banned in eu from may 2020 - Google Search.png

Thanks I saw that, but then found more specific text

"

UK

Menthol ban will include click dual flavoured cigarettes

New tobacco laws will see flavoured cigarettes banned next year. Menthol cigarettes are currently in a four-year phasing-out period, which started in May 2016 and will be completed by May 20, 2020. The ban will also see the production of click dual cigarettes – such as Sterling Dual – that change from normal to menthol, stopped.

Deborah Arnott, chief executive of Action on Smoking and Health, said the new rules will mean that “no person may produce or supply cigarettes or hand rolling tobacco with:
(a) a filter, paper, package, capsule or other component containing flavourings;
(b) a filter, paper or capsule containing tobacco or nicotine; or
(c) a technical feature allowing the consumer to modify the smell, taste, or smoke intensity of the product.”

Source from the anti-smoking group ASH

https://ash.org.uk/media-and-news/ash-daily-news/ash-daily-news-for-9-october-2019/

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

EU laws, no longer a concern to the UK.  f me sideways, half the people I know are omn old holborn or golden virgin.

lol theres a bloody great thread within Liverpool going on. They are having a meltdown lol. It is as Lemondropkid says I think just menthol related baccy and Cigs

• Haha 1

Under EU law it is only a ban against adding menthol and other flavours to tobacco. If there is a ban rolling tobacco in general it is a locale UK law, that has nothing to do with the EU. 

The directive says

[...]

2) Ban on cigarettes and RYO with characterising flavours

Cigarettes and RYO tobacco products may no longer have characterising flavours such as menthol, vanilla or candy that mask the taste and smell of tobacco(***). In the case of products with more than a 3% market share (e.g. menthol), the ban will apply as of 2020.

A procedure for determining whether a tobacco product has a characterising flavour has been established, and an independent advisory panel will be set up to assist the Commission and Member States in this respect.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_16_1762

[...]

(***) Other products, such as cigars, cigarillos and snus are exempt from this ban.

Edited by Lirchenfeld
  • Great Info 1

I don't care anymore, they cant smoke next to me in the pub, so i could not give a monkeys!  I did not read article, But i would think it is logical to ban rolled tobacco because it is MORE dangerous and is widely used by the younger generation because it is affordable. Forcing smokers to buy expensive tailor made would encourage many more to quit. Win win. A friend of mine smoked roll up all his life, He died last yrs at 60. 

Menthol gives a false impression of being safer, and again attracts the younger generation, so a logical decision to ban it.

...and the smugglers shall prosper!

Asian, Russian mobsters, and your various other rogue groups etc. have a very, very lucrative illegal industry here in the States smuggling cigarettes and loose tobacco from the southern States to the New York City area. 

Example: a pack of cigarettes cost about $5.25 USD in Virginia / a pack of cigarettes cost about $13.00 USD in New York City

1 tractor trailer (their preferred method of transport) can hold approx. 800 cases each containing 600 packs of cigarettes (480,000 packs) 

480,000 packs x $5.25 a pack = $2,520,000 USD --- Sell them in NYC at a reduced rate of $10 a pack ($4,800,000 USD) and you have just made a profit of approx. $2,280,000 USD for 1 truckload.

Illegal tobacco trafficking has a higher profit margin than cocaine, heroin, marijuana, or guns. according to the ATF here.

No worries! You will get your loose tobacco from somewhere. 😀

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Lantern said:

I'd imagine if it was all tobacco products then the tobacco lobby would be going ballistic.

They did and extensively lobbied against it. Definately looks though like just all menthol cigs and flavoured rolling baccy. Still bound to hit a lot I'd imagine