No more plastic bags...

Lanzalad

13 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Some pretty good ideas ...

Plastic bags are a fucking curse ......

We got the Asda bags for life.. anything wrong with one and they'll replace it for free.

asda-associate-united-kingdom_130117363967043379.jpg

Plastic in its many forms has become a world concern

• Like 1

8 hours ago, boydeste said:

I wonder how many people will do a big shop and at checkout refuse to pay and leave the shopping right there because they don't have the means to carry it?

Not a big shop - but I was first hit with the change out on Koh Samet this summer. Walked from my bungalow about a 1/2 kilo to the 7-11 and bought enough goods to fill 4 or so plastic bags. I paid the clerk and she just stared at me. I asked her for some bags and she said mai mee. Oops. Then I realized the plastic bag ban on the island was for real (sort of).  I also realized what the huge wicker type bags in my bungalow were for with the resort logo on them. She was cool about it and put the goods behind the counter until I returned. (I think they are used to it) It's not fully plastic bag free out there though. The fruit vendors out there still put in plastic. But it's all a good move in the right direction. "I suppose" -depending what articles you read. 

• Like 4

Banned since over a year here in Bali.

This is what we use :

20200104_091518-768x1024.jpg

The very small one is a light foldable bag, fits easily in a pocket, we use it mainly for bread and bakery shopping. The green one is the model sold by the local supermarket. 

Anyway we are used to it as it was the way we did our shopping in HKG.

Only pain is when you buy meat, or cold, frozen products its all mixed in the main bag. Hence I "cheat" a bit and always grab 1 or 2 of those light plastic bags at the fruit and vegetable area, to put those things in.

Edited by Thai Spice
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Banned since over a year here in Bali.

This is what we use :

20200104_091518-768x1024.jpg

The very small one is a light foldable bag, fits easily in a pocket, we use it mainly for bread and bakery shopping. The green one is the model sold by the local supermarket. 

Anyway we are used to it as it was the way we did our shopping in HKG.

Only pain is when you buy meat, or cold, frozen products its all mixed in the main bag. Hence I "cheat" a bit and always grab 1 or 2 of those light plastic bags at the fruit and vegetable area, to put those things in.

All our supermarkets sell these reusable chiller bags for a couple of dollars. I take one normal bag and one chiller bag with me when I go shopping.

icon-512-512-true-5bd1354158ed9d67ce3089ff0e946800.png

15 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

All our supermarkets sell these reusable chiller bags for a couple of dollars. I take one normal bag and one chiller bag with me when I go shopping.

icon-512-512-true-5bd1354158ed9d67ce3089ff0e946800.png

Yeah, I have something similar, we bring it with us when we go for a major grocery run at Carrefour but not for the "minor" daily shopping at the local supermarket as it is a bit big for just a pack of chicken thights and a pack of butter !

When living in the Carribeans we used to take the icebox in the trunk of the car for this. With those special plastic ice packages.

I went to Makro and bought a couple of rolls of plastic bin liners for the kitchen litter bin and 2 kg of strong plastic carriers. I'll keep some carriers in the car and some in the bike so I'll always have them with me, even if I forget to take them into the shop. It doesn't reduce my plastic bag usage at all, just means I have to pay for them now instead of getting them for free so I can see why the shops think it's such a great idea.

Of course, 7-eleven have really stolen a march on the others as they're still giving free but unmarked plastic bags. It's a clever strategy, lead the march to stopping stores from giving away plastic bags but then ignore the ban yourself, presumably hoping that the other shops' customers will flock to you and your free bags.

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

I went to Makro and bought a couple of rolls of plastic bin liners for the kitchen litter bin and 2 kg of strong plastic carriers. I'll keep some carriers in the car and some in the bike so I'll always have them with me, even if I forget to take them into the shop. It doesn't reduce my plastic bag usage at all, just means I have to pay for them now instead of getting them for free so I can see why the shops think it's such a great idea.

Of course, 7-eleven have really stolen a march on the others as they're still giving free but unmarked plastic bags. It's a clever strategy, lead the march to stopping stores from giving away plastic bags but then ignore the ban yourself, presumably hoping that the other shops' customers will flock to you and your free bags.

The whole thing is simply a individual moral issue.

Plastic and styrofoam are a disaster for nature.

I agree, so I do my little bit to preserve nature. Its easy, simple and doesn't disturb my life at all.

And no I am not a greeny "save the planet" bigot. 

Next thing all governments should do is ban all plastic bottles. But thats another issue with BIG money at stake, and as long as Coca Cola, Pepsi, Johnson&Johnson continue the opposite way, flooding the world with it there is not much hope.  Coke is still doing the opposite, replacing glass bottles by PET ones in Africa. And don't start me about recycling off the stuff......

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

The whole thing is simply a individual moral issue.

Plastic and styrofoam are a disaster for nature.

I agree, so I do my little bit to preserve nature. Its easy, simple and doesn't disturb my life at all.

And no I am not a greeny "save the planet" bigot. 

Next thing all governments should do is ban all plastic bottles. But thats another issue with BIG money at stake, and as long as Coca Cola, Pepsi, Johnson&Johnson continue the opposite way, flooding the world with it there is not much hope.  Coke is still doing the opposite, replacing glass bottles by PET ones in Africa. And don't start me about recycling off the stuff......

Yes, I agree, they are a disaster for nature, and possibly for humanity too if thr microplastics get into our food chain and have unpredictably nasty effects. But the same can be said of a lot of things, and the answer isn't necessarily to ban them. Fully responsible government and corporation run recycling programmes, and hang the expense, might be a better option. After all, many of us, in the West at least, dispose of our plastic waste responsibly, it's hardly our fault if the contractors that local councils use to "recycle" it end up simply dumping it somewhere. I personally am a libertarian and I loathe the modern tendency of many people to want to micromanage other people's lives just because they think they know best. And the trend to simply ban anything that offends the woke PC brigade is little short of fascism.

Just remember, the biggest disaster for plant Earth and nature is mankind, and so far nobody's suggesting banning us, but the day may come, lol.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Yes, I agree, they are a disaster for nature, and possibly for humanity too if thr microplastics get into our food chain and have unpredictably nasty effects. But the same can be said of a lot of things, and the answer isn't necessarily to ban them. Fully responsible government and corporation run recycling programmes, and hang the expense, might be a better option. After all, many of us, in the West at least, dispose of our plastic waste responsibly, it's hardly our fault if the contractors that local councils use to "recycle" it end up simply dumping it somewhere. I personally am a libertarian and I loathe the modern tendency of many people to want to micromanage other people's lives just because they think they know best. And the trend to simply ban anything that offends the woke PC brigade is little short of fascism.

Just remember, the biggest disaster for plant Earth and nature is mankind, and so far nobody's suggesting banning us, but the day may come, lol.

Libertarian..... Well, dont forget you'r liberty stops where another person liberty starts. I mean, in any social environment or group there are limits to liberty, if not it is chaos.

And God knows in France how much we are attached to liberty.

But that's not the subject of the thread.

My point is that the plastic bag thing is a problem very easily solved with a bit of effort and goodwill from everybody starting at individual level.

Plastic bags are banned in France since over 15 years I think (I left 11y ago and at that time they were already gone since long time).

The PET bottle problem is at another scale because it  concerns giant industrial groups who see their profit first. And disposable PET bottles are an easier solution for them than managing the collection, cleaning and re use of glass bottles.

• Like 1

I thought this "thread" was a joke ... but, Beach Gal gave me a couple of cloths bags today .. she told me to put in the Beast ... I said why?   Then she told me I will need if I stop at any store .. no more plastic bags ...

Ok with me .... But, I think I will become like a previous poster mentioned... I will probably have to buy new ones each time I go shopping ( and become a bag collector ) .. because I know for sure I will forget ....