No more plastic bags...

Lanzalad

3 hours ago, john luke said:

untitled-3917-1.jpg

Jomtien Beach.

How about stopping the sewers from flushing all of the bullshit into the sea that happens everyday ( especially during the rainy season )  ....

Seems to me there are bigger " fish to fry " .... like something simple such as teaching the Thais ( not all ) to use a fucking garbage bin ..... certainly isn't rocket science

Edited by code_slayer_bkk

1 hour ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

How about stopping the sewers from flushing all of the bullshit into the sea that happens everyday ( especially during the rainy season )  ....

Seems to me there are bigger " fish to fry " .... like something simple such as teaching the Thais ( not all ) to use a fucking garbage bin ..... certainly isn't rocket science

Agreed but where do they empty the garbage bins?

12 minutes ago, bob lt said:

Agreed but where do they empty the garbage bins?

I don't know .....

Good question ....

Now and then when I am in BKK and I leave home early in the morning I will see a garbage truck on the Soi --- which stinks like nothing I have ever smelled .. f**k me ... picking up the garbage and I have often wondered where they take to empty the truck ... the smell is enough to make you gag .....

Also, I see the guys that work the garbage truck separating the bottles, cans, paper, etc ..... 

A good question .....

To a degree I see conflicts in aims and effects.

1. In UK and I would suggest most EU countries and USA, frozen food including frozen meat is popular; this overall produces less waste food, but of course uses energy to freeze the food and maintain it at frozen temperature.
  2. Certainly in U.K. many people bag up their waste in plastic bags before placing in the dustbins.  I have friends who actually use plastic bags in conjunction with a bag sealer.  This does reduce the odours emanating from dustbins (garbage cans).  It uses plastic however.

i also do not think Thailand is unique; there are sink estates in UK with just as much rubbish in the streets.image.jpeg

15 hours ago, john luke said:

untitled-3917-1.jpg

Jomtien Beach.

I was looking at the plastic turtles a few days ago and while they're quite impressive I'm not 100% sure they're sending out the right message.

Some people, especially kids, might think it means that turtles like plastic.

Then what are they going to do with all those plastic beakers when they finally dismantle it? In the West you could be sure they'd be disposed of properly, but here?

31 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Then what are they going to do with all those plastic beakers when they finally dismantle it? In the West you could be sure they'd be disposed of properly, but here?

On a barge and in the sea ?

Or calling in the scavengers brigade, so that they can earn some extra money ?

37 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Ban ? yea right 

20200109_175401.jpg20200109_175416.jpg

Grasshopper you must be patient....They will be coming for the plastic bags from the markets in Round #2 a year from now along with plastic cups and plastic plates....In round # 3 or 4 they will be coming after the paper cups plates and containers.....Not sure what they are cooking up for rounds #5 and 6 yet we will see...  

Grasshopper you must be patient....They will be coming for the plastic bags from the markets in Round #2 a year from now along with plastic cups and plastic plates....In round # 3 or 4 they will be coming after the paper cups plates and containers.....Not sure what they are cooking up for rounds #5 and 6 yet we will see...  

[emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4]

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Plastic bag ban: Forgetful Thais taking supermarket baskets home! Social media meltdown!

5pm.jpg

Thai caption: To stop theft!

Picture: Daily News

A Twitter user went online to claim that Thais who had forgotten to bring a bag with them for their shopping after the plastic bag ban was introduced  were taking plastic supermarket baskets home with them.

So much so that a leading chain had started putting electronic security tags on their baskets to guard against theft. 

They tweeted a picture of a green basket with the Tesco Lotus name on the side and a tag attached. 

The story created a social media meltdown.

50 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Not denying theft of shopping baskets and carts is a problem, but "social media meltdown"? Come on, give me a break. Another sensationalist headline by the folks at Thai Visa.

Not only Thai Visa.

In my regular news feeds tweets can only go viral, social media (or the internet) can only meltdown.

I see today Big C Extra has now put big fat security tags on their green bags they sell for 3 baht.....I think people were putting the green bags in the cart and walking out with out paying...I guess one to many people figured they were owed free shopping bags....

Edited by fforest

16 hours ago, fforest said:

I also saw no security checking anyone's personal shopping bag at all for lifted goods.... 

Yeah, it must he Hell for the security staff. They seem to be trained to look for two indications of people who are up to no good.

One of them was to look for people who had unbagged stuff in their trolley and then ask to check the receipt. Now there are no in-store plastic bags how do these poor souls know who to look for?

That means they've only got the one indication of dodginess left, and the farang face is a dead giveaway. If the farang hasn't actually stolen anything, he's bound to be selling drugs, or underage Vietnamese sex slaves, or at the very least be here on three years overstay or working without a WP. I mean, social media is full of these stories, so they must be true, right?

6 hours ago, Krapow said:

Was in Sizzler last night, they were using the paper/cardboard straws. 

Worked fine TBH, as I had it with free refills. 

When I was a kid, that was all that was available. I don't recall any problems, unless you played around with them. 

It looks like China is going to do the same.. 

I was shocked to find out China will do this:-

Single-use plastic: China to ban bags and other items_110569917_gettyimages-1165810998.jpg

China, one of the world's biggest users of plastic, has unveiled a major plan to reduce single-use plastics across the country. 

Non-degradable bags will be banned in major cities by the end of 2020 and in all cities and towns by 2022. 

The restaurant industry will also be banned from using single-use straws by the end of 2020.

China has for years been struggling to deal with the rubbish its 1.4 billion citizens generate.

The country's largest rubbish dump - the size of around 100 football fields - is already full, 25 years ahead of schedule.

China's mega-dump already full

In 2017 alone, China collected 215 million tonnes of urban household waste. But national figures for recycling are not available.

China produced 60 million tonnes of plastic waste in 2010, followed by the US at 38 million tonnes, according to online publication Our World in Data based at the University of Oxford.

The research was published in 2018 and said the "relative global picture is similar in projections up to 2025".

What has changed?

The National Development and Reform Commission on Sunday issued the new policy, which will be implemented over the next five years.

Plastic bags will be banned across all cities and towns in 2022, though markets selling fresh produce will be exempt until 2025.

The production and sale of plastic bags that are less than 0.025mm thick will also be banned. 

The restaurant industry must reduce the use of single-use plastic items by 30%. 

Hotels have been told that they must not offer free single-use plastic items by 2025.

China looks to clean up act on illegally produced wood too

By Roger Harrabin, BBC environment analyst

The broadcaster David Attenborough has warned that the planet can't be protected unless China changes its polluting ways.

Suddenly that's just starting to happen. 

Following Beijing's clampdown on plastic, there's now to be a ban on illegally produced wood.

For 20 years, China's demand for raw materials has been a massive driver of illegal logging, especially in South-East Asia and Africa.

It's said to be the single largest international consumer of illegally-felled wood.

Now Beijing has amended its law to help timber-producing countries trying to tackle corruption in forestry. It says it aims to protect forestry resources and supports a ban on the cutting of natural forests.

The UK-based Environmental Investigation Bureau said the news was thrilling, but critics will note that the central government tried to force provincial governors to stop building coal-fired power stations - but failed to impose its will.

This isn't China's first campaign against the use of plastics. 

In 2008, the country banned retailers from giving out free plastic bags, and banned the production of ultra-thin plastic bags.

And in 2017, China - once the world's largest importer of plastic waste - announced that it would ban the import of foreign plastic waste.

Who's sending back plastic waste?

The small town with a dirty secret

A blockage in global waste disposal

China is not the only country in Asia that has cracked down against single-use plastics. 

Thailand announced earlier this year that single-use plastic bags would be banned in major stores, with a complete ban across the entire country in 2021. 

Indonesia's capital Jakarta also is banning single-use plastic bags in department stores, supermarkets and traditional markets by June 2020. 

The Indonesian island of Bali has also banned single-use plastic.

Separately, Malaysia has sent back 150 shipping containers of illegally imported plastic waste back to their countries of origin.

"[We] will take the necessary steps to ensure that Malaysia does not become the garbage dump of the world," Environment Minister Yeo Bee Yin said on Monday. 

She added that there were plans to send back further containers in the near future.

Wealthier countries have been sending plastic waste to Malaysia since 2018, but officials say they are struggling to cope with the amount that is being brought in illegally. 

BBC NEWS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its going to be absolutely brutal when they get to banning plastic and paper cups and plates in a few years...Funny how no one ever questions whos getting all these countries to pass all these bans with in a few years apart all over the world...Now thats real power...   

10 minutes ago, fforest said:

Its going to be absolutely brutal when they get to banning plastic and paper cups and plates in a few years...Funny how no one ever questions whos getting all these countries to pass all these bans with in a few years apart all over the world...Now thats real power...   

So who is it. Deep state, New World Order. To out gun the global petrochemical companies and we don't know who it is. Maybe the aliens at Area 51 have finally shown their hand (do aliens have hands).

14 minutes ago, fforest said:

Funny how no one ever questions whos getting all these countries to pass all these bans with in a few years apart all over the world...Now thats real power...   

Maybe it's people coming to their senses.

44 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Maybe it's people coming to their senses.

When the same controversial changes happen in country after country like relaxing marijuana laws or biometrics surveillance laws or visa tightening policies or plastic bans etc, you can be certain these polices did not originate from or come from the individual countries...... 

Edited by fforest

12 minutes ago, fforest said:

When the same controversial changes happen in country after country like relaxing marijuana laws or biometrics surveillance laws or visa tightening policies or plastic bans etc, you can be certain these polices did not originate from or come from the individual countries...... 

So from who then?