No more plastic bags...

Lanzalad

13 minutes ago, fforest said:

When the same controversial changes happen in country after country like relaxing marijuana laws or biometrics surveillance laws or visa tightening policies or plastic bans etc, you can be certain these polices did not originate from or come from the individual countries...... 

So who is it? Who is making the money if global petrochemical and plastics companies stop making plastic bags?

PS. The first country to ban the single use bags was that mover and shaker on the world stage, Bangladesh in 2002 following a 12 year campaign by ESDO (the Environment and Social Development Organization of Bangladesh).

On 1/4/2020 at 11:20 PM, fforest said:

So the stores in Thailand are almost ALL at the same time going to turn on a dime go green and be concerned with saving the Earth over maximizing sales and profits???

Does this sound strange to anyone?

Think about it.....What kind of entity has the power to get almost ALL stores to agree with this all at the same time? Never mind all the other stores in all the other countries......Were millions of people asking for this? Nope they sure were not......Yet this anti plastic bag thing just keeps spreading from country to country...

On 1/11/2020 at 6:32 AM, fforest said:

I am sorry but carrying a reusable bag makes me feel like a fruitcake...Heck I might even develop a desire to start hanging around Boyz-town....

The only solution to this bag madness I can see is to take my own single use disposable bags with me when I go shopping so I dont shame myself by walking home with a reusable bag.......

On 1/11/2020 at 9:46 AM, fforest said:

Animals are always used for propaganda.....Whether its starving polar bears to get peoples support for global warming or what-ever.....Sure plastic is not good for sea life,I dont dispute this at all......

But unfortunately the powers behind this whole anti plastic bag thing care very little for the environment.....Truly biodegradable bags should be a world wide multi billion dollar industry by now but for the most part they are unavailable....Why?.....Why are they not not available?......

They have already said publicly that banning plastic shopping bags is only step #1 with 6-7 more steps to go in the plastic ban..Much more banning to come....With out plastic most street food sellers will be put out of business in Thailand...Think about it...

1 hour ago, fforest said:

Its going to be absolutely brutal when they get to banning plastic and paper cups and plates in a few years...Funny how no one ever questions whos getting all these countries to pass all these bans with in a few years apart all over the world...Now thats real power...   

27 minutes ago, fforest said:

When the same controversial changes happen in country after country like relaxing marijuana laws or biometrics surveillance laws or visa tightening policies or plastic bans etc, you can be certain these polices did not originate from or come from the individual countries...... 

🙄

• Thumbs Up 1

Please feel free to correct me, but I am not sure that plastic bags is the issue; I think it is single use plastic bags that is the issue.  Customers being given a free plastic bag at the supermarket for their groceries, taking it home and then throwing it away.

Typically in UK before large businesses were obliged to make a charge for plastic carrier bags, the supermarkets gave them away free to customers for their shopping.  Many if not most people, including myself used the plastic bag as a liner in the inside litter bin in the kitchin and then when it was full, it was throwm away full into the non recyclables dust bin.

Further; most UK supermarkets (certainly ASDA and Morrisons) do bag for life.  These bags are still made of plastic but are intended for use multiple times.  There is a charge for the first bag, however when it tears or becomes unusable, the supermatket will give you another one free of charge in exchange for the unusable one.  

I believe it is the single use of plastic bags that is the issue rather than plastic bags themselves.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, fforest said:

Its going to be absolutely brutal when they get to banning plastic and paper cups and plates in a few years...Funny how no one ever questions whos getting all these countries to pass all these bans with in a few years apart all over the world...Now thats real power...   

Another conspiracy ? 

14 hours ago, john luke said:

I believe it is the single use of plastic bags that is the issue rather than plastic bags themselves.

But even that's a falsehood as they are typically used again, just as you described.

22 minutes ago, KWA said:

But even that's a falsehood as they are typically used again, just as you described.

Semantics!

Single 👿  Use bad!! 

Double 🐵Use Bad but not quite as bad as Single 👿 Use,

Multi 💚 Use perhaps used 10 to 20 times before disposal is Much Better 💚 or Far Less Bad 💚.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, john luke said:

Semantics!

Far from it.  You said :

14 hours ago, john luke said:

Many if not most people, including myself used the plastic bag as a liner in the inside litter bin in the kitchin and then when it was full, it was throwm away full into the non recyclables dust bin.

You now presumably have single use bags for that purpose, so no bags are removed from overall usage.

There's even studies showing how many times a bag has to be re-used before the environment benefits and depending on what it's made of it could be as much as 20,000 times, or a shopping trip everyday for over 50 years.  That's not going to happen so a re-useable organic cotton bag actually does more harm than good.

Source: https://www2.mst.dk/Udgiv/publications/2018/02/978-87-93614-73-4.pdf

1 hour ago, Mrmango said:

I consider myself to be a free man, and am insulted by people trying to micromanage my life by telling me in great detail what I can do and not do.

Why should anybody tell me what straw I can use?

For the same reason as they tell you what speed you may drive. 😯

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/24/2020 at 2:42 PM, fforest said:

And let's not forget smoking bans.  :default_cigar:

2 hours ago, Mrmango said:

I consider myself to be a free man, and am insulted by people trying to micromanage my life by telling me in great detail what I can do and not do.

49 minutes ago, monkeyman said:

And let's not forget smoking bans.  :default_cigar:

Hell, it's Saturday....some have hitting the heavy stuff ?

11 hours ago, Mrmango said:

Think it's more you can use whatever straw you like, though more places are moving to paper/cardboard type ones. Have to say I used one of those paper/cardboard types a few times recently in Sizzler, with refill, so a few glasses each time, and it was absolutely fine. 

Though one way of getting round this outrageous assault on your freedoms, would be to carry your own plastic straw of choice with you everywhere you go!

I used to do the same when snorting copious amounts of white powder. As bank notes which are usually used carry all sorts of germs and viruses, indeed Hep C can be prevalent due to blood getting onto notes from nasal snorting. 

So it's a double win/win, tell Sizzler etc you are not a number and won't be insulted or dictated to, and then also stay virus free when snorting drugs!

Thank me later!

Edited by Krapow

33 minutes ago, Lirchenfeld said:

Drinking straws? Are we now talking about straws? How old are you lot? Straws are for small children and girls (and katheoys) using lipstick.

The usual insult and non answer when you cannot rebut

14 hours ago, Mrmango said:

Bro ... you may consider yourself to be a free man but current society ( federal, state and local laws ) .....  plus the local #me_to_mobs on the internet.....  CCTV everywhere doing "face scans" capturing into massive data bases.....  also capturing all of your on line communications ( all of this to be used against you if you ever disagree with the "JUSTICE MOB" ) .......... a two tired justice system .... federal and state taxes .......  on and on and on and on it goes ..... 

Plastic straws are a "nothing burger" when you get right down to the real issues about how are lives are controlled and monitored ... all for the "sake" of what ? 

So, that is why I live most of my life in my own sanctuary on the sea .... do what I want .... when I want ... and how I want ... as far away from the bullshit as I can possibly get ....

I

• Like 2

8 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Bro ... you may consider yourself to be a free man but current society ( federal, state and local laws ) .....  plus the local #me_to_mobs on the internet.....  CCTV everywhere doing "face scans" capturing into massive data bases.....  also capturing all of your on line communications ( all of this to be used against you if you ever disagree with the "JUSTICE MOB" ) .......... a two tired justice system .... federal and state taxes .......  on and on and on and on it goes ..... 

Plastic straws are a "nothing burger" when you get right down to the real issues about how are lives are controlled and monitored ... all for the "sake" of what ? 

So, that is why I live most of my life in my own sanctuary on the sea .... do what I want .... when I want ... and how I want ... as far away from the bullshit as I can possibly get ....

I am also a realist, and understand what you said, but I try to live my life being free.

The control crowd takes your freedoms a little at a time, but over the years, they add up to where we are now, and hopefully, it will swing back a bit to the center.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/26/2020 at 5:41 AM, Mrmango said:

The usual insult and non answer when you cannot rebut

99c935589f86494aa7fecef6015986cc.gif

What was I supposed to answer? What was I supposed to rebut? 

How on earth can my personal oppinion about straws ever be an insult (to you)?

My comment wasn't even a reply to anything specific.

A good advise: Don't take everything you see or read personal. Smile at the world and the world smiles back. No reason to be a sour grumpy man, it is not good for the heart.

Edited by Lirchenfeld
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, Mrmango said:

I am also a realist, and understand what you said, but I try to live my life being free.

The control crowd takes your freedoms a little at a time, but over the years, they add up to where we are now, and hopefully, it will swing back a bit to the center.

If "straw control" is your major stress, you should be a happy and smiling man....

Thread's has me laughing and headshaking at the same time. 

Think I've logged onto Pattaya Talk by mistake.

From conspiracy nutjobs, to they're taking away my freedoms, how dare they tell me what straw I can use 🙄 😆

Ironically enough, they're not even doing that!!!

Takes all sorts I suppose ...

• Like 2

Plenty of choices for men of good will....

https://www.diffordsguide.com/encyclopedia/1405/cocktails/straws-10-alternatives-to-plastic-straws

Although for the average drunk, I wouldn't recommend the glass ones...

On the other hand who drinks beer or whisky with a straw ? So the straw users should all be sober !

Personally cant remember ever using a straw. Oh yes, with a mojito .....

Anyway I do my part. No straws, no condoms !

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Plenty of choices for men of good will....

https://www.diffordsguide.com/encyclopedia/1405/cocktails/straws-10-alternatives-to-plastic-straws

Although for the average drunk, I wouldn't recommend the glass ones...

On the other hand who drinks beer or whisky with a straw ? So the straw users should all be sober !

Personally cant remember ever using a straw. Oh yes, with a mojito .....

Anyway I do my part. No straws, no condoms !

Oh no! I've entered a parallel universe and ended up in  a bareback thread   🔀