No more plastic bags...

Lanzalad

28 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Bingo, banning them is not addressing the real issue.

You want to teach Thais (add Indos, VN, Philippinos) not to throw their garbage out of the car window, not in the street, in the field, in the river, etc.....?

Easier to reduce the availability of them. 

I am 100% for this kind of rules. Feck me, they bother me less than stupid hours on alcohol sales !

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Well it isn't as bad as banning plastic straws ... is Thailand next ... lol

Probably.

My Christmas present to several cousins back in the UK was a large bag of plastic straws (over 1000 in a pack) bought in Makro here that I took back with me.

They love them, as all the woke supermarket chains in the UK now only sell paper straws, which simply don't work.

I've warned them, though, that if they want more they should ask me now as it's quite possible by the end of the year they'll no longer be sold here either.

10 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Probably.

My Christmas present to several cousins back in the UK was a large bag of plastic straws (over 1000 in a pack) bought in Makro here that I took back with me.

They love them, as all the woke supermarket chains in the UK now only sell paper straws, which simply don't work.

I've warned them, though, that if they want more they should ask me now as it's quite possible by the end of the year they'll no longer be sold here either.

The paper straws are a failure as my local pub found out. They have now switched over to bamboo made straws and they seem to hold up.

1 minute ago, thegrogmonster said:

The paper straws are a failure as my local pub found out. They have now switched over to bamboo made straws and they seem to hold up.

Yep, several places here using bamboo or metallic (re usable like a metal spoon) ones.

The paper ones simply dont work. Specially the low quality ones, and simply the feeling of having paper or cardboard between your lips is not very confortable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

You want to teach Thais (add Indos, VN, Philippinos) not to throw their garbage out of the car window, not in the street, in the field, in the river, etc.....?

That was the point Pumpuynarak was agreeing with I believe.  The garbage (or in this case bags) doesn't throw itself out the window.  Education may not be the easiest option but it's the better option.  It's just laziness to ban something that could do harm when it's invention has been such a huge material benefit to society.  Tree huggers win again because they shout the loudest.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, KWA said:

That was the point Pumpuynarak was agreeing with I believe.  The garbage (or in this case bags) doesn't throw itself out the window.  Education may not be the easiest option but it's the better option.  It's just laziness to ban something that could do harm when it's invention has been such a huge material benefit to society.  Tree huggers win again because they shout the loudest.

Exactly 👍

33 minutes ago, KWA said:

I dont really agree. 

Without a proper recycling circuit plastic bags, styrofoam and PET bottles are a problem.

Not really a matter of educating people.

Recycling has a cost, who's gonna organise it and pay for it ?

The best solution is to eliminate / replace those things wherever possible. 

As I said, the plastic bag thing is only the start, but its a good start. Google how many are distributed every day, its enormous. Their livespan is very long, and we all see the result.  

PET bottles are as bad.

Now, you are going to say "look what was done for batteries" Collecting points in the supermarkets, malls, offices etc... Yes, but how many batteries are sold per week compared to how many plastic bags.

Come on guys, I am sure not a tree hugger, but there is definitively a huge problem there. And as I said, an easy one to solve (even if not 100%).

Take Big C in BKK. Years ago when shopping there I simply repacked everything. Where the cashier needed 10 bags, I needed only 3 or 4. Whats so difficult about that ? 

See the bags above I use every day, whats so difficult and inconvenient about that ? It's just a little change in behaviour.

Exactly, a little change in OUR /YOUR behaviour. You could call it education ? 

Take waste engine oil  ? Do you still pour it in the drain, gutter, garden or empty field ? No, we collect it and bring it to the collection point.

Printer cartridges, etc.... there IS a solution. But all go through US. Without a bit of good will on our part it doesn't work.

Amen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thai Spice said:

What a joke.

Wait till they switch to self service at petrol stations....

Hahahaha... 

Cant see that happen, too many accidents !

The only joke is where major retailers say the reason they are supporting it is to help reduce the amount of plastic trash dumped into the environment. 

The real reason that they are supporting it is that it will be more cash in their pockets for not having to provide free carry bags for their customers who buy their products.

cheers

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

I dont really agree. 

Without a proper recycling circuit plastic bags, styrofoam and PET bottles are a problem.

Not really a matter of educating people.

Recycling has a cost, who's gonna organise it and pay for it ?

Based on the number of scavengers I see around, Thailand already has a fairly decent recycling process in place.

This ban on plastic bags has all the hallmarks of let's do something for the sake of appearing to do something. Whether it addresses the core problem never enters into the thought process.

A better program would be hammering home the idea if you carry something in, you carry it out and leave nothing but footprints. Back that up with strongly enforced littering fines and the problem will be solved in a very short timeframe.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

1) Based on the number of scavengers I see around, Thailand already has a fairly decent recycling process in place.

2) Back that up with strongly enforced littering fines and the problem will be solved in a very short timeframe.

1) would be interesting to see what happens to it after collection. The whole chain, I mean... Exported to Bangladesh ?

2) works very well in SGP.

4 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

You can add Australians to that list, or maybe it's just the Thais, Indos etc who live in Australia.

I live on a corner block, 100 metre frontage on one side, 150 metre on the other. The amount of crap that the lazy pricks toss out of their cars. I guess they think that's disposing of it responsibly.

12 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Based on the number of scavengers I see around, Thailand already has a fairly decent recycling process in place.

This was my local rubbish point when I was living there. The soi was too narrow for the garbage truck to go down so we took our rubbish up to the main road. At night the scavengers would come around. All the bins would be tipped over, all the bags ripped open and anything not scavengable (most of the stuff) would be left in a festering mess over the pavement. I take my hat off to the garbage truck crew who would have it all cleaned up by morning ready to start all over again.

00000.jpg

• Great Info 1

26 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

1) would be interesting to see what happens to it after collection. The whole chain, I mean... Exported to Bangladesh ?

2) works very well in SGP.

I've seen the collection points, but not the plants that do the recycling. A search found this site that lists 33 recycling plants around Thailand.

https://www.enfrecycling.com/directory/plastic-plant/Thailand

6 hours ago, KWA said:

Yea, I see this shit all the time .... I even see people throw their shit on the ground when standing next to or very close by a garbage bin .... I always say something to them when I can ... you would be surprised how many people pick up the shit they have just thrown on the ground and then throw in the garbage bin ..... lazy MFer's or idiots .. I think both ....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Painter said:

In the UK I have great delight in keeping a random selection of plastic bags in the car. I make sure I always take a different shop's bags into wherever I go....

Waitrose don't appreciate Lidl's bags!

All the toffs will looking down their nose at the chav in their store 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, fygjam said:

This was my local rubbish point when I was living there. The soi was too narrow for the garbage truck to go down so we took our rubbish up to the main road. At night the scavengers would come around. All the bins would be tipped over, all the bags ripped open and anything not scavengable (most of the stuff) would be left in a festering mess over the pavement. I take my hat off to the garbage truck crew who would have it all cleaned up by morning ready to start all over again.

00000.jpg

Yea ... the same occurs at the end of my Soi in BKK also .... they even built a closed structure to house all of the garbage bins and "hide" the mess .... but, it always ends up on the sidewalk and the street every morning .....

I also feel sorry for the garbage guys that have to clean up the mess .. plus, it stinks so fucking bad ....

Edited by code_slayer_bkk

Just been to the 7 here outside Ayuttaya. 

These bags were fine, for iced coffee and toasted sandwich. 

But for the water etc, a larger bag, they said no, pointed to a reusable bag. They then said no problem, just start, next time, usual plastic bag given, just no markings on it. 

IMAG1152.jpg

Edited by Krapow

Yep, several places here using bamboo or metallic (re usable like a metal spoon) ones.
The paper ones simply dont work. Specially the low quality ones, and simply the feeling of having paper or cardboard between your lips is not very confortable.

Problem with hard straws made of metal or bamboo is if you slip whilst drinking or are pissed you could kill yourself. Straw goes up the roof of the mouth into the brain.
  • Like 1

The only joke is where major retailers say the reason they are supporting it is to help reduce the amount of plastic trash dumped into the environment. 
The real reason that they are supporting it is that it will be more cash in their pockets for not having to provide free carry bags for their customers who buy their products.
cheers

It’s a government law. They’re just following it.
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lanzalad said:

Do the large supermarkets offer a replacement bag like a cloth one ie a bag for life which the customer buys of the supermarket at checkout..?

We have this in place in the UK and it works very well.

No, of course not, that would require foresight and planning, and it seems that the Thais can usually only do things by knee-jerk reaction, lol.

You don't even have the option of paying for a plastic bag as we do in the UK. Just BYO or pay over the odds for one of their crappy reusable bags (that are probably made from the skin of some endangered species anyway).

• Haha 1