No more plastic bags...

Lanzalad

1 hour ago, Painter said:

Re-usable plastic bags are available next to the till at Villa, for 5b.

If I get a chance and feel rich tomorrow I'll buy something and a bag to put it in... and photograph it. 

Never been there but from all reports if you can afford to shop there paying 5 baht for a reusable bag won't be a problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

Never been there but from all reports if you can afford to shop there paying 5 baht for a reusable bag won't be a problem.

Great place to go and cool down if out for a walk around.  Crazy place to shop if you're looking for bargains.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

Villa has a pretty good selection of farang food .. but, it is over the top expensive ... I only go to Villa to buy sausages ( Italian and Polish ) and lamb shanks

The produce, meat and cheese selection in Villa is way, way, way over the top expensive ..... better you go to a local veggie and fruit vendor market .... there are a lot of these around where I live in BKK and the prices cannot be beaten ... plus always really fresh and ripe .... the same could be said about the local meat vendors for chicken, pork and sea food .......

A really good store to shop in is named Fresh Market in the basement of the Mall Bang Kapi --- pretty wide selection and fair prices when it comes to farang food ( except peaches and cheese ) ... plus, a great bakery ( Saint Etoille ) about 50 feet away .. the bread they make there is great and very cheap ...

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Villa has a pretty good selection of farang food .. but, it is over the top expensive ... I only go to Villa to buy sausages ( Italian and Polish ) and lamb shanks

The produce, meat and cheese selection in Villa is way, way, way over the top expensive ..... better you go to a local veggie and fruit vendor market .... there are a lot of these around where I live in BKK and the prices cannot be beaten ... plus always really fresh and ripe .... the same could be said about the local meat vendors for chicken, pork and sea food .......

A really good store to shop in is named Fresh Market in the basement of the Mall Bang Kapi --- pretty wide selection and fair prices when it comes to farang food ( except peaches and cheese ) ... plus, a great bakery ( Saint Etoille ) about 50 feet away .. the bread they make there is great and very cheap ...

Villa was already very expensive 25 y ago, but in those days you didn't had much choice for proper farang ingredients.

Saint Etoile ? Thats says something to me ? 

I am sorry but carrying a reusable bag makes me feel like a fruitcake...Heck I might even develop a desire to start hanging around Boyz-town....

The only solution to this bag madness I can see is to take my own single use disposable bags with me when I go shopping so I dont shame myself by walking home with a reusable bag.......

Edited by fforest

1 minute ago, fforest said:

I am sorry but carrying a reusable bag makes me feel like a fruitcake...Heck I might even develop a desire to start hanging around Bozy-town....

The only solution to this bag madness I can see is to take my own single use disposable bags with me when I go shopping so I dont shame myself by walking home with a reusable bag.......

Yea, I feel pretty foolish carrying an "empty" cloth bag on my shoulder walking to the store ..... then having to assist them putting the shit in my bag after I am done shopping .. WTF has happened to the world ( I know - global warming and the PC crowd ) ... why not at least provide paper bags ?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, fforest said:

I am sorry but carrying a reusable bag makes me feel like a fruitcake...Heck I might even develop a desire to start hanging around Bozy-town....

Agree at the start I thought the same thing but now that everybody is using them you don't even think about it.

Edited by thegrogmonster
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, fforest said:

I am sorry but carrying a reusable bag makes me feel like a fruitcake...Heck I might even develop a desire to start hanging around Boyz-town....

I bought a reusable bag at a certain DIY shop a couple of days ago. As big as any bag every provided by a supermarket,  much stronger, and it folds down into a package the size of your mobile, with a clip to hang it from your belt should you wish. Or just shove it in a pocket. 30b.

Just got to remember to take it with me when I go shopping...

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, fforest said:

1 hour ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Yea, I feel pretty foolish carrying an "empty" cloth bag on my shoulder walking to the store ..... then having to assist them putting the shit in my bag after I am done shopping .. WTF has happened to the world ( I know - global warming and the PC crowd ) ... why not at least provide paper bags ?

Guys, sorry....I dont understand what problem you have with this ?

I leave home with an empty bag, stop at the ATM, have a beer, head for the supermarket, put my stuff in the bag, stop have a beer with the bag near me, grab a taxi with the bag on my shoulder, walk through my ressort with the full bag, etc...

Doesn't make me feel gay ! Just a regular day in life.

FFS ! If you start worry about that, try walk in the MTR, in suit and tie, carrying flowers going to see your fiancèe....

2 hours ago, fforest said:

Imagine how stupid the turtle felt trying to eat your single use bag he thought was a jellyfish.

sea turtle eating plastic bag

Sea Turtle Found In Thailand With Stomach Full Of Plastic Dies

June 11, 2018

A young green sea turtle (Chelonia mydas) who washed ashore near Thailand’s
Chonburi’s Lamchabang Port last week died just two days later after medical
officials tried desperately to save it. A necropsy determined that the reptile had
ingested a variety of man made materials, including plastic bags, nylon rope,
rubber bands and fishing gear,
and this material caused a loss of appetite, low
protein levels in its bloodstream, cysts, and ultimately heart failure, according
to Coconuts Wireless Bangkok.

"It was feeling weak and couldn't swim," Weerapong Laovechprasit, veterinarian at
the Eastern Marine and Coastal Resource Research and Development Centre,
according to AFP. "The main cause of death is the sea trash."

Plastic bags are often mistaken for jellies by sea turtles.

X-rays on the reptile revealed the trash blockage in the animal’s intestines, and
despite trying to feed it intravenously, those efforts failed.

Weerapong said in the past an estimated 10 percent of the sea turtles that wash
up on beaches there had plastic in their system or had gotten infected due to the
plastic, but this year, the veterinarians in the Southeast Asian country have seen
about a 50 percent increase in trash-related incidents with sea turtles.

According to a 2015 Ocean Conservancy report, more than half of the estimated 8
million tons of plastic waste that ends up in the world’s ocean originate from just
five Asian countries: China, Indonesia, the Philippines, Vietnam and Thailand.

Among plastic bags and plastic bottles, a huge contributor to this waste are in the
form of plastic sachets, essentially single serve or one shot containers used for
everything from shampoos and soaps, to instant coffee and teas.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Sea-Turtle-Found-In-Thailand-With-Stomach-Full-Of-Plastic-Dies/

You might also like to read about the turtle that had a plastic fork removed from it's nose.

turtle-plastic.jpg

40 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Imagine how stupid the turtle felt trying to eat your single use bag he thought was a jellyfish.

sea turtle eating plastic bag

Sea Turtle Found In Thailand With Stomach Full Of Plastic Dies

June 11, 2018

A young green sea turtle (Chelonia mydas) who washed ashore near Thailand’s
Chonburi’s Lamchabang Port last week died just two days later after medical
officials tried desperately to save it. A necropsy determined that the reptile had
ingested a variety of man made materials, including plastic bags, nylon rope,
rubber bands and fishing gear,
and this material caused a loss of appetite, low
protein levels in its bloodstream, cysts, and ultimately heart failure, according
to Coconuts Wireless Bangkok.

"It was feeling weak and couldn't swim," Weerapong Laovechprasit, veterinarian at
the Eastern Marine and Coastal Resource Research and Development Centre,
according to AFP. "The main cause of death is the sea trash."

Plastic bags are often mistaken for jellies by sea turtles.

X-rays on the reptile revealed the trash blockage in the animal’s intestines, and
despite trying to feed it intravenously, those efforts failed.

Weerapong said in the past an estimated 10 percent of the sea turtles that wash
up on beaches there had plastic in their system or had gotten infected due to the
plastic, but this year, the veterinarians in the Southeast Asian country have seen
about a 50 percent increase in trash-related incidents with sea turtles.

According to a 2015 Ocean Conservancy report, more than half of the estimated 8
million tons of plastic waste that ends up in the world’s ocean originate from just
five Asian countries: China, Indonesia, the Philippines, Vietnam and Thailand.

Among plastic bags and plastic bottles, a huge contributor to this waste are in the
form of plastic sachets, essentially single serve or one shot containers used for
everything from shampoos and soaps, to instant coffee and teas.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Sea-Turtle-Found-In-Thailand-With-Stomach-Full-Of-Plastic-Dies/

You might also like to read about the turtle that had a plastic fork removed from it's nose.

turtle-plastic.jpg

Animals are always used for propaganda.....Whether its starving polar bears to get peoples support for global warming or what-ever.....Sure plastic is not good for sea life,I dont dispute this at all......

But unfortunately the powers behind this whole anti plastic bag thing care very little for the environment.....Truly biodegradable bags should be a world wide multi billion dollar industry by now but for the most part they are unavailable....Why?.....Why are they not not available?......

They have already said publicly that banning plastic shopping bags is only step #1 with 6-7 more steps to go in the plastic ban..Much more banning to come....With out plastic most street food sellers will be put out of business in Thailand...Think about it...

Edited by fforest
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Guys, sorry....I dont understand what problem you have with this ?

I leave home with an empty bag, stop at the ATM, have a beer, head for the supermarket, put my stuff in the bag, stop have a beer with the bag near me, grab a taxi with the bag on my shoulder, walk through my ressort with the full bag, etc...

Doesn't make me feel gay ! Just a regular day in life.

FFS ! If you start worry about that, try walk in the MTR, in suit and tie, carrying flowers going to see your fiancèe....

It is another thing to try to remember and carry ... that is the problem I have with it ....

34 minutes ago, fforest said:

But unfortunately the powers behind this whole anti plastic bag thing care very little for the environment.....Truly biodegradable bags should be a world wide multi billion dollar industry by now but for the most part they are unavailable....Why?.....Why are they not not available?......

The biodegradable plastic bag was just a con job. While the bag might have degraded (fallen apart, although it still took years to do so), the plastic didn't. It just broke up into smaller and smaller plastic particles.  So you just got wildlife with plastic "sand" in its stomach. Still it made it easier to return the plastic to you in your food (seafood).

Then the plastics industry decided to cut out the middleman and just started adding plastic microbeads to everything.

People across the world unwittingly consume roughly 5 grams of plastic each week in the course of daily life, or about the weight of a credit card, according to Australian researchers. That's about 250 grams per year—more than a half-pound of plastic every 12 months.

27 minutes ago, fygjam said:

The biodegradable plastic bag was just a con job. While the bag might have degraded (fallen apart, although it still took years to do so), the plastic didn't. It just broke up into smaller and smaller plastic particles.  So you just got wildlife with plastic "sand" in its stomach. Still it made it easier to return the plastic to you in your food (seafood).

Then the plastics industry decided to cut out the middleman and just started adding plastic microbeads to everything.

People across the world unwittingly consume roughly 5 grams of plastic each week in the course of daily life, or about the weight of a credit card, according to Australian researchers. That's about 250 grams per year—more than a half-pound of plastic every 12 months.

Your missing the big picture.......This is a example of a true biodegradable....If this was produced on a worldwide scale it would be as cheap as regular plastic bags......The plastic pollution problem would be reduced by 60-70% in short order.......But like I said before banning plastic has very little to do with helping the environment...Solutions are not welcomed....

Edited by fforest

59 minutes ago, fforest said:

Your missing the big picture.......This is a example of a true biodegradable....If this was produced on a worldwide scale it would be as cheap as regular plastic bags......The plastic pollution problem would be reduced by 60-70% in short order.......But like I said before banning plastic has very little to do with helping the environment...Solutions are not welcomed....

A quick search and read indicates that PLA, polyactic acid a plastic material made from plant starches, does NOT break down in the environment. It requires high temperature composting in industrial type facilities which breaks it down into CO2 and water. If just sent to landfill it breaks down into methane (a potent greenhouse gas). If mixed with recyclable plastics such as PET it can contaminate the process rendering the product useless (and sent to landfill).

Not quite the panacea just yet.

On 1/10/2020 at 3:11 PM, Thai Spice said:

@Toy Boy,

Hey mate, the fact that you guys can't control your drink is an internal UK problem. You could all drink yourself to death, it wont impact the climat change or state of the oceans !

Different issues.  And dont start to blame it on Brussels and EU ...... We Europeans stand our drink ! 🤣🤣🤣🤣😄😄😄

I think the main reason why we British have a drink problem is probably that we have such irritating neighbours, lol.

• Haha 2

Animals are always used for propaganda.....Whether its starving polar bears to get peoples support for global warming or what-ever.....Sure plastic is not good for sea life,I dont dispute this at all......
They have already said publicly that banning plastic shopping bags is only step #1 with 6-7 more steps to go in the plastic ban..Much more banning to come....With out plastic most street food sellers will be put out of business in Thailand...Think about it...

Of course the plastic bag step is only the start. Lots more needs to be done by us as the human race. Together.
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3