Scooters, Secrets, Keys

tommy dee

3 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

it was fun..wish you were there  🙂

From reading this page of the thread, I can pretty much guess, some at least, of the combatants :default_biggrin: 

Edit - Page 2 of the thread, post was always going to start a new page once I posted that ffs. 

Edited by Krapow

On 1/8/2020 at 11:42 AM, misteregg said:

What became of the bar, is it still scooters?

Scooters have pulled out and currently closed. Being redeveloped by new owners.

With Scooters out of the picture and the hotel being renamed, I can only recommend to the new owners to start a forum for the business and get a good host for the bar. Those are the things that brought in customers in the past as it isn't in a location where many people pass by.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Freee!! said:

With Scooters out of the picture and the hotel being renamed, I can only recommend to the new owners to start a forum for the business and get a good host for the bar. Those are the things that brought in customers in the past as it isn't in a location where many people pass by.

Suppose the one advantage is they may get old Secrets customers popping in to check out the bar and hotel out of curiosity to see what it's become. 

And if it's decent they may use them. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Very sad. Think I only had a 4 day stay in 2009, but it was too good with 20-80 ladies right downstairs. Besides all the good nights in the bar, 2 really funny things stand out about that stay: 

1) I had jokingly asked one of the hostesses I BF if she was, you know, familiar with the hotel on site. Her response came quickly - “which room you mean” . 😂. Real sweetheart she was, always laughing, but I hate saying this because I can’t forget....the loosest lady I had by far. The guys who frequented Secrets know who I’m talking about

2) I had way more energy ten years ago when I weighed 80 pounds less, so was probably averaging 5-6 rounds with my LT. I had thought, being a newbie, that the Do Not Disturb sign was one side Thai, one English. So I just lazily flip it on, not knowing I left it saying “please clean room”. It was about 10 am, we were right in the middle of it......you never saw a maid open & close a door that fast 

Good times

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Ivan the terrible said:

literally the best adult times of my life in that bar and hotel  from glorious  initiation ,,to fruition,,and gob smacked decline ...im in mourning ..

let me down gently folks 

'It was the best of times....it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness'

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

I tend to concur with @Thai Spice on this.

I would however throw something new into the mix and that is or perhaps was the view that the hotel was in fact a loss leader to promote sales in the bar.

During its history the hotel offered short time  rooms to facilitate a practice of bar fining staff from the bar.

A promotion was in place where customers at the hotel were offered a breakfast at a reduced rate; thus encouraging hotel guests into the bar and securing further income for the bar from the sale of further drinks.

Hotel rooms were available for customers attending parties at the bar thus encouraging patrons to remain longer in the bar during these functions and in consequence spend more in the bar.

Hostesses from the bar, staying with customers in the hotel would encourage said customers to visit the bar for lunch, even dinner thus ensuring further spending within the bar.

Assuming that the bar and hotel come under separate ownership, I question whether the lack of what I will describe as cross pollination between  hotel and bar will mean that the hotel becomes a less profitable asset for its owners.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 2

Another great memory I had was at the end of my 8 month trip in 2010. When you’re from North America, the Super Bowl is played late afternoon/evening. Was a great experience waking up at 6 am, hurrying the lady out of the room, and catching a baht bus to Secrets. Was a pretty full house too, IIRC, and a great game

15 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Places go and come, it's life....

Had dozens of "favorite" places over the world in my life. They moved, closed, or I moved... No problem, plenty new ones to discover.

Agreed...

I only get misty eyed for a club / pub that's gone from my youth and I can never get those friends that have passed and times back from my home town.

As for Patts...

Next.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roomark said:

Agreed...

I only get misty eyed for a club / pub that's gone from my youth and I can never get those friends that have passed and times back from my home town.

As for Patts...

Next.

I miss Fridays at the Limelight in Aldershot back in the late 80's/early 90's rave days. 

Only place I have ever missed going to. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, john luke said:

I would however throw something new into the mix and that is or perhaps was the view that the hotel was in fact a loss leader to promote sales in the bar.

During its history the hotel offered short time  rooms to facilitate a practice of bar fining staff from the bar.

A promotion was in place where customers at the hotel were offered a breakfast at a reduced rate; thus encouraging hotel guests into the bar and securing further income for the bar from the sale of further drinks.

Hotel rooms were available for customers attending parties at the bar thus encouraging patrons to remain longer in the bar during these functions and in consequence spend more in the bar.

Hostesses from the bar, staying with customers in the hotel would encourage said customers to visit the bar for lunch, even dinner thus ensuring further spending within the bar.

Aiming that the bar and hotel come under separate ownership, I question whether the lack of what I will describe as cross pollination between  hotel and bar will mean that the hotel becomes a less profitable asset for its owners.

a " loss leader" ... no fucking way ...

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, john luke said:

Assuming that the bar and hotel come under separate ownership, I question whether the lack of what I will describe as cross pollination between  hotel and bar will mean that the hotel becomes a less profitable asset for its owners.

Secrets was a very good business model both the bar and guest house complemented each other.

The biggest let down of all was the location.. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Lanzalad said:

Secrets was a very good business model both the bar and guest house complemented each other.

The location needs some compensation, which was provided by the forum.

Edited by Freee!!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lanzalad said:

I quite liked the location back in the day. Anyone remember Paul who owned Catz Corner ??? ....lovely little super cheap hang out bar beside Secrets.

Babyydolls and the Lee's 90 seconds away and Miserable Old Paul when he was in Misty's two great ago-gogos. 

Never ever liked Walking Street much so the alleyway suited me fine. 

Butt ...always had loads of lovelies with signs on Walking Street telling punters where Secrets was ..... and the nice young man who used to book the hotel rooms. Perfect.

Is there anything even remotely comparable these days. used to have Livingstone's in Soi 33 Bangkok which was amazing but long gone.

Rooms upstairs bar and lovely :default_bellyemoticon:ladies downstairs??? Can't say I know of any ??? Anyone any ideas ....??? 

• Like 4
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, galenkia said:

I miss Fridays at the Limelight in Aldershot back in the late 80's/early 90's rave days. 

Only place I have ever missed going to. 

Gal,

mine is,well 2 places,1 in Australia,1 in Ermita Manila

1st is the old beer garden in Surfers Paradise,Gold Coast.Queensland

2nd the Aussie bar in M.H.Del Pilar Ermita Manila best bar ever anywhere in Manila,better than any I've been pissed in Pattaya,the old Rising Sun bar in soi yamotto come closed to it.

maybe if I had spent more time in Secrets at night,instead of just a few arvos I could have found what any number of blokes have said Secrets was like.

regards

grayray

Edited by grayray
  • Like 1