Scooters, Secrets, Keys

tommy dee

4 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Looked at the website Phil and no mention of hotel.

Says the bar closes at 12pm .......... blimey ....in Pattaya ???? 

Yes its a hotel as well mate and has a few falang residents that live in the suites...

I've only heard mate fun starts early afternoon in this place... i guess a little bit like jade house... 

• Great Info 1

3 minutes ago, Lanzalad said:

Looks great but closing at 12pm ????  

Secrets (yeah I know it's gone would stay open all night if lively). usually closed around 4am. 

Life changes but thanks for the link ......... any others ??? 

Seen some good ones in Costa Rica may check them out next month ??? Any of our USA cousins been ...... ??? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Looks great but closing at 12pm ????  

Secrets (yeah I know it's gone would stay open all night if lively). usually closed around 4am. 

Life changes but thanks for the link ......... any others ??? 

Seen some good ones in Costa Rica may check them out next month ??? Any of our USA cousins been ...... ??? 

The Mclub is open from 1pm until midnight mate. It is a gentleman's club along the lines of club 4, pirates, post office etc. A bit out of the way for ya me thinks. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, boydeste said:

The Mclub is open from 1pm until midnight mate. It is a gentleman's club along the lines of club 4, pirates, post office etc. A bit out of the way for ya me thinks. 

Is that the club we popped in for a couple of drinks with Kung and Mon a few years ago?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stillearly said:

+1 , always compare the price with the hotel directly as well , but Booking.com is normally best , plus you can cancel without charge  

Which is exactly why they are extremely bad news for many hotels.

What is the point from a Hotel's perspective of using a booking agent when over 60% of submitted reservations simply subsequently cancel or much, much worse, simply do not turn up and leave the hotel with empty rooms they could have sold?

It is apparent that Booking.com are often used by visitors of  a certain country simply to obtain a confirmed booking  then used as part of the process of obtaining a Visa. They have no intention of turning up at the Hotel they just want the Visa.

It is a misconception that B.com or any other booking agent themselves "normally" offer the best rate. The rates offered by any agent is set by the hotel NOT the booking agent so if they happen to be offering the best rate it is because the hotel has given them the ability to do so usually in the form of a promotional discount.

Such discounts change all the time (or they should) to try to ensure a high occupancy rate is maintained. An empty room available at 1200 baht earns earns a hotel precisely nothing. A short term one/off promotion at 800 baht fills that room and earns 800 baht.

It's not rocket science.

• Great Info 1

19 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Which is exactly why they are extremely bad news for many hotels.

What is the point from a Hotel's perspective of using a booking agent when over 60% of submitted reservations simply subsequently cancel or much, much worse, simply do not turn up and leave the hotel with empty rooms they could have sold?

It is apparent that Booking.com are often used by visitors of  a certain country simply to obtain a confirmed booking  then used as part of the process of obtaining a Visa. They have no intention of turning up at the Hotel they just want the Visa.

It is a misconception that B.com or any other booking agent themselves "normally" offer the best rate. The rates offered by any agent is set by the hotel NOT the booking agent so if they happen to be offering the best rate it is because the hotel has given them the ability to do so usually in the form of a promotional discount.

Such discounts change all the time (or they should) to try to ensure a high occupancy rate is maintained. An empty room available at 1200 baht earns earns a hotel precisely nothing. A short term one/off promotion at 800 baht fills that room and earns 800 baht.

It's not rocket science.

maybe i am thick ( yes) but agoda always asks for payment and show a cancellation policy.  I booked an hotel a few weeks back, but for a reason was a no show, obviously no refund and i didnt expect one.  Agoda, for me, is good.  shows comparable hotels, and the room pics too.  I,  for example, must have a balcony but dont care about wifi.  i want breakfast too, and cofee making gear in the room as I work at 5AM where ever I am.  agoda makes it simple.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/13/2020 at 9:46 AM, tommy dee said:

maybe i am thick ( yes) but agoda always asks for payment and show a cancellation policy.  I booked an hotel a few weeks back, but for a reason was a no show, obviously no refund and i didnt expect one.  Agoda, for me, is good.  shows comparable hotels, and the room pics too.  I,  for example, must have a balcony but dont care about wifi.  i want breakfast too, and cofee making gear in the room as I work at 5AM where ever I am.  agoda makes it simple.

That is exactly why Agoda and Expedia were used and not B.com for the very reason they collect payment, remit it to a Hotel and if the customer cancels within the cancellation penalty period, that as well.

Customers who  intend to take up a reservation ignore the possibility of a cancellation charge if they are getting a good deal. The Hotel always has the option to waive the cancellation charge anyway if the circumstances warrent that happening. I always asked to see a copy of the death certificate. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/13/2020 at 2:46 AM, tommy dee said:

Agoda and Booking.com offer different models despite being part of the same umbrella group, Bookings Holdings.  I usually look at both to get the best deal, Agoda sometimes is better but they do normally offer the deal based on no refund.  Booking.com offer free cancellation, I recently used them for the best deal on a hotel in Angeles which allowed free cancellation up to 1 week before arrival. I also once walked into a hotel at 1 pm in Udon Thani and thought it was so disgusting I went back downstairs to check straight out but I had paid cash on entry, I asked for a refund by calling Booking.com who said as it was before 2 pm they would reimburse me by talking with the hotel reception, a good deal.

I think both offer a professional service which has never let me down. 

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1

14 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Agoda and Booking.com offer different models despite being part of the same umbrella group, Bookings Holdings.  I usually look at both to get the best deal, Agoda sometimes is better but they do normally offer the deal based on no refund.  Booking.com offer free cancellation, I recently used them for the best deal on a hotel in Angeles which allowed free cancellation up to 1 week before arrival. I also once walked into a hotel at 1 pm in Udon Thani and thought it was so disgusting I went back downstairs to check straight out but I had paid cash on entry, I asked for a refund by calling Booking.com who said as it was before 2 pm they would reimburse me by talking with the hotel reception, a good deal.

I think both offer a professional service which has never let me down.  option 

From a customer point of view you experienced a good service from B.com. I have occasional used them myself largely for the same reason.

However, my personal experience of them from the other side of the fence, over several years, was the exact opposite. They were awful to deal with, arrogant and unhelpful. 

Your Hotel in Angeles had that one week free cancellation period because the hotel set that not the booking agent. Another hotel in Angeles might well have a completely different cancellation period through the same booking agent. The hotel has a choice of 20 or more alternative cancellation terms to choose from. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Jambo said:

From a customer point of view you experienced a good service from B.com. I have occasional used them myself largely for the same reason.

However, my personal experience of them from the other side of the fence, over several years, was the exact opposite. They were awful to deal with, arrogant and unhelpful. 

Your Hotel in Angeles had that one week free cancellation period because the hotel set that not the booking agent. Another hotel in Angeles might well have a completely different cancellation period through the same booking agent. The hotel has a choice of 20 or more alternative cancellation terms to choose from. 

Agreed hotels have different cancellation periods and I have booked hotels previously with later/earlier cancel periods. Too be honest I usually book direct with the hotel and just turn up, no credit card verification/holding deposit etc, just check in and pay at the end of the stay. The hotel in question even gives a 10% discount if paying cash at the end of the stay.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/14/2020 at 6:16 PM, Horizondave said:

I think both offer a professional service which has never let me down. 

The free cancellation policy is only for selected hotels who offer this though, same as on Agoda. 

I agree the price is often different but in my experience on Booking.com there are no hidden charges, i.e. the price you see is the price you pay while on Agoda taxes/fees are added after to come up with the actual price you'll be paying. 

I'll be staying in Bkk early February and will simply have a look on both to see which offers the best rate at that time. Booking directly with the hotel doesn't always give you the best rate in my experience. Once I was sitting at the reception desk of Phachara Suites in Bkk and the best rate they could offer me was higher than Booking.com's rate so they even recommended to book online. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Esco said:

The free cancellation policy is only for selected hotels who offer this though, same as on Agoda. 

I agree the price is often different but in my experience on Booking.com there are no hidden charges, i.e. the price you see is the price you pay while on Agoda taxes/fees are added after to come up with the actual price you'll be paying. 

I'll be staying in Bkk early February and will simply have a look on both to see which offers the best rate at that time. Booking directly with the hotel doesn't always give you the best rate in my experience. Once I was sitting at the reception desk of Phachara Suites in Bkk and the best rate they could offer me was higher than Booking.com's rate so they even recommended to book online. 

That's exactly what this hotel said to me yesterday, book online it's cheaper, which it was and is. 

Booking a week for start of July for that trip, instead if a week in Pattaya. Can't recommend this hotel enough for kids. Be great for Mikey junior and parents when he's a little older and looking things to do. 

• Lanzalad locked this topic
  • 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Skalliwag said:

Old Chang Fai got the boot from PA.

Taa Saporat or something like that over there.

He gone.What a knobhead.

bit sad really ...i loved his baiting posts...he is a relic and victim  of fora now becoming mega PC and protectionist of lilly white wallflowers .The essence of the pub disagreement is long gone..sadly imo

Edited by Ivan the terrible
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ivan the terrible said:

bit sad really ...i loved his baiting posts...he is a relic and victim  of fora now becoming mega PC and protectionist of lilly white wallflowers .The essence of the pub disagreement is long gone..sadly imo

His problem is,he doesn’t believe he is at pub level.

More of a country club mentality.😁

1 hour ago, Ivan the terrible said:

Are you a member on PA ? There's a couple of recent new Mods and you honestly can't say 'Boo' to another member now without being warned. That place is getting so dull now it's like a Womens Institute.