Pre Nuptial Agreement

karon steve

An acquaintance is concerned for his older friend who wants to get married and asked me some questions which I cannot answer. I would appreciate some help.

Is a pre nuptial agreement legal in Thailand and can it be effectively enforced?
If his wife has debt before marriage can the lender legally come after him for repayment?
Ditto any debt after marriage?
The same again if her children have debts.

The only advice I have offered so far is that if he is worried about this he should ask himself why he is getting married and that he should only bring to Thailand what he can afford to lose.

17 minutes ago, karon steve said:

The only advice I have offered so far is that if he is worried about this he should ask himself why he is getting married and that he should only bring to Thailand what he can afford to lose.

+1 - seems like a daft thing to do unless you plan on starting a family 

Here in the UK I followed my brother advise and as he did up until they split up.

He paid for most things all the shopping and bills on his own debit card his lady paid cash for a few things.

He had all the records and she didn't have a leg to stand on as he had every statement.

I know it will not be the same in Thailand and a pre nuptial agreement will not even stand up.. they'll just not pay it and all you will do chase it around all the time until you get fed up with it.

• Great Info 1

On 1/16/2020 at 11:47 PM, karon steve said:

An acquaintance is concerned for his older friend who wants to get married and asked me some questions which I cannot answer. I would appreciate some help.

Is a pre nuptial agreement legal in Thailand and can it be effectively enforced?
If his wife has debt before marriage can the lender legally come after him for repayment?
The same again if her children have debts.

This guy doesn't even live in Thailand ( from what I read ) ... ?

If he doesn't live here .. then ( most of us know the answer already ) ............. he is spitting against the wind ..

Not trying to be a "prick" by saying what I have said ..............

On 1/17/2020 at 12:47 AM, karon steve said:

The same again if her children have debts

3 red flags ...If he thinks this are real possibilities with the person he want to marry, he better forget the whole thing.

BTW, what's their ages, as you mention "older" friend ?

The guy is 64 and his friend is 59. They are both Belgian and only the friend speaks English. They rent bungalows on the Dark Side for the year but usually only spend around 6 months of the year here. He has no intention of buying a house, car etc. He already owns his motorcycle.

I have passed on all of your comments to the friend most of which reiterated what I'd told him before. My basic advice was that he shouldn't get married.

• Thumbs Up 2