"Styx" Concert Photos.........

Yessongs

Glad the both of you had a good night out. I can't say I ever heard of this band or any of their songs, but that seems to be my problem. 

My favourite rock and roll band is a Dutch band from the sixties with hits like Radar Love, Twilight Zone and When The Lady Smiles.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Freee!! said:

Glad the both of you had a good night out. I can't say I ever heard of this band or any of their songs, but that seems to be my problem. 

My favourite rock and roll band is a Dutch band from the sixties with hits like Radar Love, Twilight Zone and When The Lady Smiles.

Oh yeah Golden Earring, seen them too back in 1974, they were good for sure. 

13 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

TFP! Saw them back in the day. Sweet Madam Blue was always my favorite.

Figured you saw them back in the day Ted....this was my 5th time over 4 decades. Amazing still how this music still sounds great live. Tommy Shaw still looks the same to me. Last time I saw Styx was in 2011 here. Sweet Madam Blue is one of their "epic" masterpieces I think, and they did not disappoint playing it Wed. 

12 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Great night out for the both of you. The advice the guy at the camera shop gave you must have been good as the picture quality is excellent.

Thanks and since you can't bring in DSLR cameras, point and shoot are going to be your next best option, if you choose not to use your cell phone.....kind of naive to mine, did not realize how many different settings there are you can adjust. 

11 hours ago, Homor said:

Its amazing how the band were able to concentrate on their music looking at your beautiful wife lol 

Thanks.....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just a few other tidbits here ( if anyone cares LOL) Tommy Shaw and James Young were telling the crowd about how they were invited to take a tour of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena last week when they were playing their show in Los Angeles right? Apparently a lot of the Program Managers, Engineers etc are Styx fans. They had a launch into Saturn some time back, a mission called "Cassini" when this thing finally crashed into Saturn or something like that, the people played " Radio Silence" by the band in the final moments. Pretty cool for the band they were telling everyone and then played that song for all of us. 

You know with bands like this, if you have been around a while, play good music ( IMO) bring your band to small venues where the die hard fans can still see you, price tickets reasonably, bring a stage set that still resonates with fans, deliver a presentation that we all will like and play the music we all have liked for the last 40 years and still want to do it like these guys, then you will still be successful......I think Styx still does this very well. 

Even Rachanee said to me " Wow, they sound just like their albums still with the harmonies" 

Great pics and narrative yet again Mike.kudos to you for that. 

Now,as a guy brought up on all sorts of different music and settling for heavy metal... Here we have Styx.... The only thing I enjoyed was a 12 inch single they brought out here in the UK... Renegade and a track called "Lights or Lights out". Not sure which but it was heavy and I loved it. 

Then they do this "Babe" thing.... Technicolour yawn stuff... Ended my interest. 

But you can't keep a good band down mate. They are good at what they are good at. 

Tfp Mike 

Steve,

Yeah most bands are going to have to "sell out" a bit at some point to get radio play etc.....with the love ballads. In Styx case, they do progressive, rock and some love ballads. 

I am OK with it, their musical presentation is still one of the best I think.

Perhaps this great tune by them might interest you....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Steve,

Yeah most bands are going to have to "sell out" a bit at some point to get radio play etc.....with the love ballads. In Styx case, they do progressive, rock and some love ballads. 

I am OK with it, their musical presentation is still one of the best I think.

Perhaps this great tune by them might interest you....

Cheers Mike. No bull but I did enjoy that tune. 

Please don't get me wrong... I'm not a Styx hater. Just that, that Babe song was played to death here in the UK. Kind of overkill. 

Im trying to think of some other bands that that fell by the wayside with me. White Lion, Lonestar and America. One band I did have a soft spot for was Triumph. Canadian if I can recall. 

Other softer bands I still enjoyed listening to include Boston, Journey, Blue Oyster Cult, REO Speedwagon and occasionally Foriegner. 

Anyways...please continue to enjoy what pleases you and your lovely lady. That's the most important thing. 

Kop khun khrap. 

• Like 2

Fully understand, kind of like "Hotel California" by The Eagles huh? I still like The Eagles too. I think most bands that have an FM hit, would say the same thing, too much overplay and they hate it too. 

Red Speedwagon, Journey and Foreigner....still great today. 

• Like 1

Great pics, Yessongs. Even with no more Dennis De Young, they still kick ass. I agree about the Rock n Roll HOF snub. Thank goodness, the Doobie Bros, a band that had there major arena hey day when Styx did, finally were voted in this year. Along with those rock n roll icons, Depeche Mode, Whitney Houston and Biggie Smalls.

Don't get me started!

Since you're a guy who still digs the 70's bands who are still out there touring, not sure if you are aware, but Dan Rather, the former CBS anchorman, does a program on AXS TV called The Big Interview, where he talks to many of these classic rock bands and singers, including Styx, and gets them to tell the behind the scenes stories about a particular song or tour, there personal lives, there successes and regrets. A very good program that you would probably love.

A couple other shows that are in that same vein on that network are hosted by the Red Rocker, Sammy Hagar, and Brian Johnson, the former lead singer for AC/DC.

I love watching these shows and hearing about their lives and inspirations and how they are still going strong 40-50 years or more after starting out.

Great stuff!

11 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Great pics, Yessongs. Even with no more Dennis De Young, they still kick ass. I agree about the Rock n Roll HOF snub. Thank goodness, the Doobie Bros, a band that had there major arena hey day when Styx did, finally were voted in this year. Along with those rock n roll icons, Depeche Mode, Whitney Houston and Biggie Smalls.

Don't get me started!

Since you're a guy who still digs the 70's bands who are still out there touring, not sure if you are aware, but Dan Rather, the former CBS anchorman, does a program on AXS TV called The Big Interview, where he talks to many of these classic rock bands and singers, including Styx, and gets them to tell the behind the scenes stories about a particular song or tour, there personal lives, there successes and regrets. A very good program that you would probably love.

A couple other shows that are in that same vein on that network are hosted by the Red Rocker, Sammy Hagar, and Brian Johnson, the former lead singer for AC/DC.

I love watching these shows and hearing about their lives and inspirations and how they are still going strong 40-50 years or more after starting out.

Great stuff!

Thanks buddy for your inputs, yeah you forgot T. Rex and Nine Inch Nails LOL! Happy for The Doobie Brothers, well deserved as Pat Simmons went to Leigh High School in San Jose here where I went too.

I predict next year for Styx hopefully. Look how long it took for Chicago, Moody Blues, Deep Purple and Yes to get in, when others made it before them you know.....politics at its finest. Yeah Dennis DeYoung is no longer is with the band, health issues and "squabbles" with Tommy Shaw and JY Young sealed his fate. Lawrence Gowan sounds just like him and carries his vocals quite well. If they are playing your music when they crash a lunar mission into Saturn.......you are doing something right. 

I will check out AXS TV for the interviews, love stuff like that. 

10 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

Ricky Phillips on Bass.

No Chuck?😢😢😢😢

Chuck Panozzo was on Bass, look at a few of the pics again and you will see him. He still tours with the band, just part time as he too has health issues. You know your stuff....well done. 

21 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

Thanks buddy for your inputs, yeah you forgot T. Rex and Nine Inch Nails LOL! Happy for The Doobie Brothers, well deserved as Pat Simmons went to Leigh High School in San Jose here where I went too.

I predict next year for Styx hopefully. Look how long it took for Chicago, Moody Blues, Deep Purple and Yes to get in, when others made it before them you know.....politics at its finest. Yeah Dennis DeYoung is no longer is with the band, health issues and "squabbles" with Tommy Shaw and JY Young sealed his fate. Lawrence Gowan sounds just like him and carries his vocals quite well. If they are playing your music when they crash a lunar mission into Saturn.......you are doing something right. 

I will check out AXS TV for the interviews, love stuff like that. 

Chuck Panozzo was on Bass, look at a few of the pics again and you will see him. He still tours with the band, just part time as he too has health issues. You know your stuff....well done. 

Oh jeezus,sorry I didn’t see him there at the end.Thats great he is still playing,even if it is part time.Makes me happy.

i was fixated on this pic because I absolutely love the hollow body’s  he plays (among other stuff of his).

55DA19E5-AAF1-4268-9675-FC98A5699281.png

I have a hollow body as well,fretless.

Bass players tend to know bass players.❤️❤️❤️

702D6664-3658-4F6F-894E-2094A331B55F.jpeg

Edited by Skalliwag
  • Like 1

Yeah Chuck Panozzo plays a "Rickenbacker" like another great Bass player I have met!  I am sure you know who he is too right? 

Like your "axe" there.......beautiful piece of work.

What does wifey think of her rock star husband? Seiyng Dang Mak? LOL! 

DSCN7828.JPG

DSCN1699.JPG

DSCN7853.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/22/2020 at 9:14 AM, Yessongs said:

Yeah Chuck Panozzo plays a "Rickenbacker" like another great Bass player I have met!  I am sure you know who he is too right? 

Like your "axe" there.......beautiful piece of work.

What does wifey think of her rock star husband? Seiyng Dang Mak? LOL! 

DSCN7828.JPG

DSCN1699.JPG

DSCN7853.JPG

Geeeez,you got around.Thats awesome.Great band,great player.To be honest I didn’t know how he died until I looked it up.Terrible way to go.

Off to a flight to Thailand.👍👍

• Like 1

Great report and pics mate.

I've always liked Styx, have seen them a couple of times. Last time was around 10 years ago at Red Rocks, they were the supporting band for Boston. They were magnificent and the whole sound experience at Red Rocks is something else - the sound bounces off the rocks and makes for fantastic acoustics.

Ironically I took my Thai gf to USA from UK, primarily to go see Boston. She videoed a couple of Styx tracks, still have them on my laptop. Great memories. Blue Collar Man and Crystal Ball are my favourite tracks of theirs and they played both live brilliantly.

11 hours ago, Yessongs said:

@Britboy Thanks for your inputs, Red Rocks Denver right?  I heard that place is amazing amphitheater over the years. 

Yes, just outside Denver.

It's just awesome, both for acoustics and location. Set in the foothills of the Rockies, dusk is beautiful and after the sun goes down, music blasting out with the lights of Denver in the distance it's idyllic.

Quick story, first time I went there was around 15 years ago. As a mad Boston fan (I'm a Brit), as soon as they announced their tour I booked business class return flights to Denver on BA, for myself and my daughter. Just a quick 3 night trip. Two weeks later, Boston changed the bloody date!! Pushed it back a week, meaning my flights were useless. Cost me £300 to change them. I was really mad and made contact via the Boston website to explain the implications for me.

They replied via email and got into a swap of messages, which culminated in free VIP seats at the gig plus back stage passes to meet the band afterwards. Awesome.

The gig was great (Styx were supporting) and backstage got to meet all band members (except for the main man, Tom Sholtz, miserable git didn't come out at all) but did get to meet the lead singer at the time, Brad Delp. Got a great pic of myself and Brad. Great chat with him, he was pleased to speak to a Brit and wouldn't stop talking about how much he idolised Paul McCartney and how much The Beatles influenced him.

Sad thing is that Brad took his own life a few years later - couldn't handle the pressure of everyone wanting a piece of him. He was a smashing bloke, soft spoken and obviously kind-hearted. Though only chatting with him for maybe 15 minutes it felt like I'd known him for years.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2020 at 11:49 PM, Yessongs said:

Outstanding story, yeah very sad about Brad Delp, remember it well. Saw Boston in 1976 at Winterland, San Francisco, first tour ever. They had a very unique sound....very clean. 

Yes, their sound is/was unique.

Historically their biggest problem was that Tom Sholtz was so much of a perfectionist it took years to make an album. He'd produce it himself, tinker and re-tinker over months and years to get the sound he wanted.

1976 was when they first really hit the big time. Can remember seeing More Than A Feeling on Top of the Pops that year - been a big Boston fan ever since.

• Like 1