For the D I Y guys.. help

tommy dee

you may or may not know that concrete here is never sealed and of course a few pressure wash cleans takes the natural membrane off, making it porous.  after a while oi, paint what ever gets splashed on it

I am gonna seal a large area, sandwashed but cant figure out what to use to get the stains off first.  thinners doesnt work, should I use acid?

any clues?

cheers

It'll depend on what caused the stains. Did you try warm water and soap yet, that can be surprisingly effective?

I use bleach as an all-purpose stain remover. I mostly use it to clean the cream path tiles around the house which get badly stained from dead plumeria leaves and flowers. Just tip it on, scrub it in, wait 20 or 30 minutes and then scrub the stains out. Repeat as needed. Bleach isn't acidic so it won't affect the cement.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

It'll depend on what caused the stains. Did you try warm water and soap yet, that can be surprisingly effective?

I use bleach as an all-purpose stain remover. I mostly use it to clean the cream path tiles around the house which get badly stained from dead plumeria leaves and flowers. Just tip it on, scrub it in, wait 20 or 30 minutes and then scrub the stains out. Repeat as needed. Bleach isn't acidic so it won't affect the cement.

I do similar at home ,  my paving stones start going green over winter ... I just put some toilet beach in a watering can with water and sprinkle over the area , it's good as new the next day 

• Like 1

Had several oil stains on my concrete driveway. The simple answer - kitty litter. 

I had major doubts but what the hell, the stuff is cheap. Poured it dry on a major area and after about 20 minutes swept it away with a broom. Voila! the stain was gone. I have also heard that you can mix a small amount of gasoline for difficult spots, but I haven't had to do so.

Swear to god that it works for me.

5 hours ago, jcolorado said:

Had several oil stains on my concrete driveway. The simple answer - kitty litter. 

I had major doubts but what the hell, the stuff is cheap. Poured it dry on a major area and after about 20 minutes swept it away with a broom. Voila! the stain was gone. I have also heard that you can mix a small amount of gasoline for difficult spots, but I haven't had to do so.

Swear to god that it works for me.

we used similar in worskshops but usually to absorb spills opf oil etc.  this is soaked in and dried.  bu thank you for the tip

16 hours ago, tommy dee said:

we used similar in worskshops but usually to absorb spills opf oil etc.  this is soaked in and dried.  bu thank you for the tip

My situation involved soaked in and dried oil. Had been there for several weeks if not months. You don't have to believe it. I didn't until I tried it. 

Any acid used on sandwash (exposed aggregate) will definitely feck it up.
If the sand and stone is quartz it won’t do much to that, but it will eat away the cement very quickly and the sand and small stones will start to fall apart. 
Try pressure washing it, but don’t put the Jet too close. The absorbent kitty litter or similar, is also a good idea. 
Good luck. 👍

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunDon said:

Any acid used on sandwash (exposed aggregate) will definitely feck it up.
If the sand and stone is quartz it won’t do much to that, but it will eat away the cement very quickly and the sand and small stones will start to fall apart. 
Try pressure washing it, but don’t put the Jet too close. The absorbent kitty litter or similar, is also a good idea. 
Good luck. 👍

many thanks mate.  it will be sealed next week too, and the truck is off to be fixed today too.  all y fault i know, i ignored it.

• Like 1