Death by a thousand decibels!

Jambo

"As we all know, sound is a series of pressure wave travelling in air: sound waves are caused by oscillations
of pressure in the air.  The loudness of a sound possible on earth is limited by the size of this oscillation of
air pressure.  This presents a natural limit to how loud a (sustained) sound can get - the pressure of the air
cannot drop below a vacuum.  So the loudest (sustained) sound possible is therefore a pressure wave
oscillating between vacuum and +2 atmospheres.  And this is equal to 194 decibels.  No sound on earth
(at sea level) can exceed 194 decibels because of this.

It's worth mentioning that you can have shock waves that are bigger than 2 atmospheres, which
theoretically have have a higher decibel number than 194dB, but this is not a sustained sound."

Basically if you get any louder than 194 decibels your wave becomes a shock wave instead of a sound.

Now 194 decibels is a LOUD sound.  An estimated 180 decibel sound of the Krakatoa volcano eruption
was heard as far as 3,000 miles away and blew out eardrums up to 40 miles away!  For days our sensors
could detect the waves rippling across the atmosphere!  A 10 decibel increase is usually perceived to be
twice as loud, so just imagine a 194 decibel sound.

One thing I admire about the Thais is that they love having a good time. In the west we are conditioned to believe that work is almost the sole purpose of ones life. The Thais on the other hand believe that sanook is the purpose of life.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

They stopped for the night at midnight.

Restarted even earlier this morning ( 7.30am) but so far it is not live and much lower volume.

There must be at least 50 Thai's who stayed overnight.

Buddha knows where they slept, washed or dumped. Next door has two "bathrooms" same as our house.

Monks did their bit early doors for a good 45 minutes then it was heads down troughing time again.

I spoke too soon.......................................the bands just started! It is a guy singer now which is some relief from the unbelievable female of yesterday!  😀

I had to plug headphones into the TV yesterday so I could listen to the match commentary for the Gooners.

Edited by Jambo

On 1/19/2020 at 4:59 AM, dcfc2007 said:

One thing I admire about the Thais is that they love having a good time. In the west we are conditioned to believe that work is almost the sole purpose of ones life. The Thais on the other hand believe that sanook is the purpose of life.

And with a "live day by day" and a mai pen rai attitude ....