Bud

Toy Boy

I know that Budweiser causes the real ale and craft beer snobs to start pooh-poohing, but I’ve always quite enjoyed it. Probably shows how simple my tastes are, lol.

IMG20200124153627.jpg

Anyway, a few weeks ago I was in the local 7-eleven and noticed that they had 500 ml cans of Bud on sale for just 62 Baht. To put that in context, they charge 40 Baht for a 320 ml bottle of locally-made Singha so, per ml, imported Bud and Thai Singha are the same price give or take a satang.

The trick seems to be that the Bud is brewed in Vietnam, and I’m guessing that under the ASEAN single market rules the Thais don’t impose as much import duty on it as they would if it came from the States or Europe. I expect if you bought it in Vietnam it would be half the price, of course, but for an imported American beer in Thailand you can’t really complain at 62 Baht for a large half-litre can. I now enjoy a can of Bud before my evening meal, it makes a pleasant change from the usual Thai stuff.

Just thought I’d mention it in case anyone else fancies a reasonably-priced drop of a familiar foreign beer.

IMG20200124153639.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

I know that Budweiser causes the real ale and craft beer snobs to start pooh-poohing, but I’ve always quite enjoyed it. Probably shows how simple my tastes are, lol.

IMG20200124153627.jpg

Anyway, a few weeks ago I was in the local 7-eleven and noticed that they had 500 ml cans of Bud on sale for just 62 Baht. To put that in context, they charge 40 Baht for a 320 ml bottle of locally-made Singha so, per ml, imported Bud and Thai Singha are the same price give or take a satang.

The trick seems to be that the Bud is brewed in Vietnam, and I’m guessing that under the ASEAN single market rules the Thais don’t impose as much import duty on it as they would if it came from the States or Europe. I expect if you bought it in Vietnam it would be half the price, of course, but for an imported American beer in Thailand you can’t really complain at 62 Baht for a large half-litre can. I now enjoy a can of Bud before my evening meal, it makes a pleasant change from the usual Thai stuff.

Just thought I’d mention it in case anyone else fancies a reasonably-priced drop of a familiar foreign beer.

IMG20200124153639.jpg

Ingredients: Water, malt, RICE and hops.

Beer is made with BARLEY.

00000.jpg

• Great Info 1

7 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

The malt is barley malt.

Probably less than 10%, just to get the amylase and maybe some colour.

Real beer is made from 100% barley.

Should be called Vietnamese alcoholic rice water with hops.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fygjam said:

In that case the rice is probably less than 5% as it has to be less than the malt (sequence of ingredients is telling).

8 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

I don't care about the ingredients .... I liked the taste of Bud when I was young ... it was a decent break from Guinness day in and day out ...

I lived in Milwaukee with plenty of beer factories, but was very happy when they started shipping Coors east of the Mississippi.

15 hours ago, fygjam said:

" Most of the beer sold in the world is made with rice or corn included in the grain variety. "

https://www.thespruceeats.com/why-do-some-brewers-use-rice-or-corn-in-their-beer-353284

• Great Info 1

6 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I lived in Milwaukee with plenty of beer factories, but was very happy when they started shipping Coors east of the Mississippi.

Yea ... lol .... I remember when I graduated from high school ( I think I was 17 ) me and my best friend "hitched hiked" from Brooklyn to Colorado .... then we hitched hiked to the border of Mexico but they would not let us into Mexico ( for what reason -- I still don't know ) ... then we hitched back to Colorado ....

My first taste of Coors was sitting at a camp fire in Boulder at kind of a " hippie like camp " ... I thought Coors was great ..... so great - I brought a case of it back to NY stuffed in my back pack .... carried them all the way ....

That whole "hitch hiking" experience was GREAT ....

Edited by code_slayer_bkk

A range of Coors and Miller alcoholic corn waters.

• Coors Light: Water, barley malt, corn, yeast and hops
  • Miller Lite: Water, barley malt, corn, yeast and hops
  • Miller High Life: Water, barley malt, corn, yeast and hops
  • Keystone Light: Water, barley malt, corn, yeast and hops
  • Blue Moon Belgian White: Water, barley malt, wheat, oats, yeast, hops, orange peel and coriander
  • Coors Banquet: Water, barley malt, corn, yeast and hops
  • Miller Genuine Draft: Water, barley malt, corn, yeast and hops
  • Miller Fortune: Water, barley malt, corn, yeast and hops

Bourbon is required by law to contain at least 51% corn,  beer is not.

52 minutes ago, fygjam said:

A range of Coors and Miller alcoholic corn waters.

• Coors Light: Water, barley malt, corn, yeast and hops
  • Miller Lite: Water, barley malt, corn, yeast and hops
  • Miller High Life: Water, barley malt, corn, yeast and hops
  • Keystone Light: Water, barley malt, corn, yeast and hops
  • Blue Moon Belgian White: Water, barley malt, wheat, oats, yeast, hops, orange peel and coriander
  • Coors Banquet: Water, barley malt, corn, yeast and hops
  • Miller Genuine Draft: Water, barley malt, corn, yeast and hops
  • Miller Fortune: Water, barley malt, corn, yeast and hops

Bourbon is required by law to contain at least 51% corn,  beer is not.

You're missing the point, as you usually seem to these days. The rice in Budweiser is one of the features of its highly successful recipe (regardless of whether you like it or not). It's not something added as a convenience by the Vietnamese, as you seem to think. Bud brewed in the US uses the same recipe as Bud brewed in Vietnam, and that includes the rice.

Oh, and I noticed in Tesco Lotus this morning that they're also turning out the large cans of Bud at 62 Baht, so it seems its here to stay. Not sure about Family Mart and Big C yet.

31 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

You're missing the point, as you usually seem to these days. The rice in Budweiser is one of the features of its highly successful recipe (regardless of whether you like it or not). It's not something added as a convenience by the Vietnamese, as you seem to think. Bud brewed in the US uses the same recipe as Bud brewed in Vietnam, and that includes the rice.

Oh, and I noticed in Tesco Lotus this morning that they're also turning out the large cans of Bud at 62 Baht, so it seems its here to stay. Not sure about Family Mart and Big C yet.

Not really.

That you have found a beverage that agrees with your simple taste and that you can afford, I am sure that I and the rest of the board are happy for you.

I was merely pointing out that traditionally beer was made of four and only four ingredients, namely water malted barley, hops and yeast.