COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

Australian coronavirus vaccine goes into test production

A factory in Melbourne has started producing a test dose of a potential coronavirus vaccine which
scientists will begin testing on animals this week.

The test vaccine was developed in just six weeks by University of Queensland researchers using
world-first molecular clamp technology invented in Australia.

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/australian-coronavirus-vaccine-goes-into-test-production-20200221-p5436l.html

The downside is they have to inject this much into your arse.

Professor George Lovrecz and Mylinh La at CSIRO's vaccine manufacturing plant in Clayton. They hold a bottle filled with cells that will be used to produce protein for the vaccine. Behind them is a machine that will eventually be used to purify the vaccine.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

Meanwhile, 600,000 people will die world-wide from influenza this year. The coronavirus is more of a hypevirus with only 2,000 deaths. I am surprised that so many are getting sucked into this sensationalized vacuum.

Even the oil companies have really jumped the gun...email from logistics yesterday....

Hello *()*

Please be advised that you are not authorised to travel offshore due to living in an area which is affected by the Coronavirus, you will remain at home downmanned for the full duration of your next trip 09/03 – 16/03.

Many thanks

Lisa

Now this has all came about because a group of guys from tern alpha rig went on holiday to thailand,they all returned back to work apart from one guy,he felt sick[leaving thailand no doubt] and went to his doctor who signed him off, he told his workmates on the rig for a wind up he had the corona virus,which then set them in a panic going to the rig medic,which resulted in them being isolated then flown off the rig,once they got back to hospital they were all cleared.It made national news lol !! 

I know this as i worked on the tern 5 years and my mate who also lives in thailand and still works there has been restricted from going back offshore,same as me,what a pity these oil companies dont know the truth.

Got to add was great breezing through immigration the other day minus the locusts tho still had some,notice the difference in hua hin already :)

Edited by Phantom51red
  • Like 3

More confusion from China with their reported numbers. Reading how they're adding and subtracting infection numbers has my head spinning.

China's changed how it counts virus cases three times now

Last week, Hubei province announced it would count "clinically diagnosed" cases in its numbers. These were patients who demonstrated all the symptoms of Covid-19 but either had not been able to get a test or were believed to have falsely tested negative.

Hubei doctors could use CT scans to confirm such coronavirus infections without a test.

That decision saw confirmed cases in Hubei province soar, with more than 15,152 new infections announced in mainland China on February 12 alone.

Officials said the move to include clinically diagnosed patients was intended to help clear a backlog of suspected cases in Hubei.

But on Thursday the government guidelines changed and "clinically confirmed" were excluded from the tally of confirmed cases.

Now patients must have a positive lab test result to be counted in the tally. Other cases will be listed as "suspected."

The World Health Organization (WHO) reacted to the change in their Friday situation report, noting: "Some previously reported 'clinically diagnosed' cases are thus expected to be discarded over the coming days as laboratory testing is conducted and some are found to be Covid-19-negative."

Adding to the confusion is that on Friday, Hubei health authorities announced another new development.

Tu Yuanchao, deputy director of Hubei Health Committee, said at a press conference that the provincial government has banned the practice of reducing the number of already confirmed cases.

Tu said that all the cases that were confirmed but then retroactively dismissed as they no longer fitted the reporting requirements would be added back to the total tally.

"These adjustments in numbers have attracted huge public attention, caused some doubts about the data. As a result, Ying Yong, secretary of the provincial Party committee, attached great importance to this issue. He explicitly ordered that no subtraction be allowed for already-confirmed cases and all subtractions be added back," Tu said.

So the Diamond Princess is going to be renamed the Cleveland Steamer?

‘It could be messy’: Window of opportunity ‘narrowing’ as coronavirus cases surge

The rapid spread of the deadly coronavirus, which has now claimed more than 2200 lives, may be due to “fecal-oral transmission”.

The rapid spread of the deadly coronavirus may be due to “fecal-oral transmission”,
according to Chinese researchers, who have discovered the live virus in stool specimens for
the first time.

The discovery announced by the Chinese Center for Disease Control on Saturday may
explain why the COVID-19 virus was able to spread so quickly among passengers and crew
on-board the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

“In addition to close contact and contact with respiratory secretions of patients, the virus
can also be transmitted through the potential fecal-oral route,” the CCDC said.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/it-could-be-messy-window-of-opportunity-narrowing-as-coronavirus-cases-surge/news-story/7c7d99629625ee44354b06dc447c7175

3 hours ago, Krapow said:

Starting to get a wee bit worried EVA may start pulling flights.

They have previous for doing this.

Why?

Because you think fewer people will be travelling and EVA will consolidate flights, or for concern that the virus might spread on the flights?

23 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Why?

Because you think fewer people will be travelling and EVA will consolidate flights, or for concern that the virus might spread on the flights?

Yea, they've pulled flights before when less people were travelling. 

Plus Taiwan is next door to China, China have cancelled about 2 thirds of their flights.

If an outbreak happens in Taiwan, who knows.

Would've felt more comfortable if booked with Thai Air.

A lot of what's going on is precautionary, due to the unknown about this virus. But that's it, it's unknown, no one can say much with certainty at this stage.  

My flight to BKK on EVA 13 days ago was almost 100% full, so no sign then of fewer people travelling.

I'm getting quite concerned about travelling, though. Bahrain has just banned people entering who have come from Thailand (and some other countries), so people flying with Gulf Air have a problem. https://www.bna.bh/en/news?cms=q8FmFJgiscL2fwIzON1%2BDr1OJNvdCD3nWq5YwUTKKqw%3D

29 minutes ago, Bazle said:

My flight to BKK on EVA 13 days ago was almost 100% full, so no sign then of fewer people travelling.

I'm getting quite concerned about travelling, though. Bahrain has just banned people entering who have come from Thailand (and some other countries), so people flying with Gulf Air have a problem. https://www.bna.bh/en/news?cms=q8FmFJgiscL2fwIzON1%2BDr1OJNvdCD3nWq5YwUTKKqw%3D

Israel done the same a few days ago, Thailand a few other similar countries banned.

I think this is going to be an official pandemic soon, then things will get messy re flights etc.

Edited by Krapow

3 hours ago, Krapow said:

Israel done the same a few days ago, Thailand a few other similar countries banned.

I think this is going to be an official pandemic soon, then things will get messy re flights etc.

I would fear all the "precautions" more than the virus. 

Banned, flights cancelled , overzealous officials, quarantine, mass hysteria....that would kill my nerves much easier than the virus would kill me.

Mao was right never to let his people out of the country, you see where we are now ?  😁😁😁

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

I would fear all the "precautions" more than the virus. 

Banned, flights cancelled , overzealous officials, quarantine, mass hysteria....that would kill my nerves much easier than the virus would kill me.

Mao was right never to let his people out of the country, you see where we are now ?  😁😁😁

Yea, I'm fit and healthy, as is my wife and daughter.

I'm not really worried about the virus, just that we won't be able to fly to Thailand.

That said, my daughter would only be 4 when we fly, and would certainly be a consideration if things deteriorated in Thailand. 

2 hours ago, coxyhog said:

One of the reasons SARS died out was hot & humid weather.

China & South Korea are still in winter and pretty cold.

Maybe a reason for no big outbreak in Thailand?

Just a thought.

Hopefully.  Singapore was hit hard, though.

• Like 1

A rather disturbing development in the UK.

4 of the people who were brought home from the cruise ship in Japan and put in quarantine in England have tested positive. Why disturbing? Because they had been quarantined on board the ship, AND tested negative before leaving Japan.

7 minutes ago, Bazle said:

4 of the people who were brought home from the cruise ship in Japan and put in quarantine in England have tested positive. Why disturbing? Because they had been quarantined on board the ship, AND tested negative before leaving Japan.

Yea, if you were sitting near them on the same plane home, you'd have a sweat, no matter if you have tested negative. 

Loads of unknowns still ...

55 minutes ago, Bazle said:

From what I've seen & read the supposed quarantine on the ship was a bit of a farce & that's why they've been quarantined on arrival in the UK.