COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

59 minutes ago, john luke said:

IMG_20200310_185452_resized_20200310_073725924.jpg

Brendon - Do you think it is this cafe - article in press does refer to inaccuracies of translation.  Photo from @Blue Streak

Located Beach Road just round the corner from Soi 6.

The map on cafe du beach's Facebook page shows it is way north of here... not this one.

1 hour ago, john luke said:

image.png

From the article:

In Pattaya/Banglamung, anyone who visited either the ‘Café De Beach’ or ‘Khon La Fun’ restaurants on March 15, or ‘Bar Beer Soi 6 Pattaya’ between February 24 and March 26 (names translated from Thai, may differ slightly) is required to quarantine at home for 14 days. If you have symptoms such as cough, high fever, sore throat, or are facing respiratory difficulties, you must see a doctor immediately.

Google search of Cafe De Beach brings the Facebook page above.

The reason the post attracted my interest was a couple of days back, I walked past the place and saw one lady staff member inside looking very isolated with no customers and thought  I would go and have a coffee.  In the event I did not visit but left it for another day.  Good decision at the time I think.

Khon La Fun’ - seems to be a place on Third Road. 

Interesting. Though I also remember Thai authorities disinfecting the soi, they claimed at the time there was no case of covid from the soi. A cover up perhaps.

Thai Air getting loads of plaudits from passengers for their response to this, keeping people up to date, great communication and refunds or very generous terms if you rebook. 

Wish i'd have booked with them instead of EVA.

Now stopping most flights until end of May.

UPDATE (28th March) - Temporary Suspension of International Flights
In light of the recent developments with regards to the COVID-19 outbreak worldwide, and given the ever-changing and increasingly restrictive governmental regulations, country lockdowns, lack of demand and travel constraints for passengers, put in place to combat the spread of the virus, it became unattainable for THAI to plan and operate its scheduled route network.
As a consequence, THAI has had to make the difficult and unprecedented decision to gradually and temporarily suspend most of its international operations, starting on 25th March (for Asia regional flights), 27th March (for Australian flights) and 1st April (for European flights) until 31st May.
As of 28th March, the last operating flights are to/from: London (31st March), Frankfurt (1st April), Munich (31st March), Paris (30th March), Brussels (31st March), Copenhagen (31st March), Oslo (30th March), Zurich (31st March) and Stockholm (31st March).
All domestic flights will progressively be transferred to our sister carrier, THAI Smile.
Edited by Krapow

Bar Beer Soi 6 Pattaya’ and 2 Pattaya restaurants were added to a list of places in Chonburi, including some shopping malls, private offices, restaurants, snooker halls, and more, in Friday’s COVID-19 supervision order issued by Chonburi Gov. Pakarathorn Thienchai which included a warning to people who have visited these areas to self-quarantine.

4 hours ago, Krapow said:

Thai Air getting loads of plaudits from passengers for their response to this, keeping people up to date, great communication and refunds or very generous terms if you rebook. 

Wish i'd have booked with them instead of EVA.

Now stopping most flights until end of May.

UPDATE (28th March) - Temporary Suspension of International Flights
In light of the recent developments with regards to the COVID-19 outbreak worldwide, and given the ever-changing and increasingly restrictive governmental regulations, country lockdowns, lack of demand and travel constraints for passengers, put in place to combat the spread of the virus, it became unattainable for THAI to plan and operate its scheduled route network.
As a consequence, THAI has had to make the difficult and unprecedented decision to gradually and temporarily suspend most of its international operations, starting on 25th March (for Asia regional flights), 27th March (for Australian flights) and 1st April (for European flights) until 31st May.
As of 28th March, the last operating flights are to/from: London (31st March), Frankfurt (1st April), Munich (31st March), Paris (30th March), Brussels (31st March), Copenhagen (31st March), Oslo (30th March), Zurich (31st March) and Stockholm (31st March).
All domestic flights will progressively be transferred to our sister carrier, THAI Smile.

My flight was March 31st still flying ??? but weeks ago they cancelled and said I could have the same deal anytime within a year....... had a lovely upgrade deal too ......

more pressing concerns than that nowadays. I suppose Thai Govt will bail Thai Air out .......

• Thumbs Up 1

Just been told by a friend that Nova are closing their hotels from April and laying off their employees ? Things are getting bad here now.

"i have very sad news to share with you. My boss called me yesterday and inforned me that, management had decided to close down all our hotels untill further notice and all employees wont get any salary effective April onwards"

Edited by mrcharliemofo

5 minutes ago, mrcharliemofo said:

Just been told by a friend that Nova are closing their hotels from April and laying off their employees ? Things are getting bad here now.

"i have very sad news to share with you. My boss called me yesterday and inforned me that, management had decided to close down all our hotels untill further notice and all employees wont get any salary effective April onwards"

under the new regs, by closing down as a result of covid, all the employees qualify for ss pmnts of 7500 baht a month for 6 not 2 months.  its not a good wage but it means they get something.  if it stayed open they would not qualify.  sad as f tho to see people laid off in the city in droves

20 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

under the new regs, by closing down as a result of covid, all the employees qualify for ss pmnts of 7500 baht a month for 6 not 2 months.  its not a good wage but it means they get something.  if it stayed open they would not qualify.  sad as f tho to see people laid off in the city in droves

He's a foreigner so maybe different for him ? But even if he was to qualify for that money he has the problem of being stuck in his home country and can't return here for however long ?

1 hour ago, mrcharliemofo said:

He's a foreigner so maybe different for him ? But even if he was to qualify for that money he has the problem of being stuck in his home country and can't return here for however long ?

anyone who paid into the thai ss system for at least 6 months qualifies

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

anyone who paid into the thai ss system for at least 6 months qualifies

Hi Tommy, would you care to elaborate on that statement, please ?

I've had a Work Permit for years. A Transport and Marine Engineer to trade, I "work" for my wifes' company ( undertaking Engineering and Property upgrades etc. ) as a "Technician"; we have the required minimum of Thai Staff to legitimately support my Work Permit. I pay a "Salary Tax" of THB 2,500 every month, plus THB 4,040 Social Security ( for 4 Thai staff ), via our "Business Agent / Accountant.

Obviously, with movement having been curtailed and isolation recommended, we are unable to do other than emergency works ( Clients without power, water, basic sanitation etc. ), so income has been drastically reduced. If I'm "entitled" to financial assistance, I'm not so proud as to refuse. How would I apply ?

8 hours ago, tommy dee said:

Although 7500b is not much it can go a long way in Thailand particularly for Thai people. The main problem is that so many Thais aren't in the SS of tax system. I remember an article in the BKK post last year that said only 20% or so of Thais pay income tax when they should be.

Edited by dcfc2007

5 hours ago, Proffesor said:

Hi Tommy, would you care to elaborate on that statement, please ?

I've had a Work Permit for years. A Transport and Marine Engineer to trade, I "work" for my wifes' company ( undertaking Engineering and Property upgrades etc. ) as a "Technician"; we have the required minimum of Thai Staff to legitimately support my Work Permit. I pay a "Salary Tax" of THB 2,500 every month, plus THB 4,040 Social Security ( for 4 Thai staff ), via our "Business Agent / Accountant.

Obviously, with movement having been curtailed and isolation recommended, we are unable to do other than emergency works ( Clients without power, water, basic sanitation etc. ), so income has been drastically reduced. If I'm "entitled" to financial assistance, I'm not so proud as to refuse. How would I apply ?

and so i have bad news as I know you are over 60, and will have been when you got the wp, so you dont pay inrto the system,, so you wont get anything out i am afraid, same as me.  your staff can tho

2 hours ago, tommy dee said:

and so i have bad news as I know you are over 60, and will have been when you got the wp, so you dont pay inrto the system,, so you wont get anything out i am afraid, same as me.  your staff can tho

O.K. thanks for the clarification.

I believe my wife has had our staff registered. She's pissed off because she doesn't get anything as she's a Director of the Company

I haven't seen this message from any source but The Pattaya News, so here goes.  I am reassured by the photo that topped the message:

FB_IMG_1585468506326-696x635.jpg

It reminded me of the opening credits for the U.S. police action series,  S.W.A.T.

SWAT-750x424.png

And the closing sentence, "Make Pattaya Great Again."   Of whom does that remind you?   :default_071:

Pattaya News.JPG

A message in English from The Pattaya City Police Chief to all local residents
By Adam Judd -
Sunday, 29 March 2020, 17:02

PATTAYA-  The following is a message sent to us by the Pattaya City Police Chief that he wanted to pass on to the entire Pattaya English speaking community. Here it is unedited:

The COVID 19 crisis has resulted in the loss of jobs, many businesses are forced to shut down, street vendors are not able to make sales, people making living on daily income are not able to make ends meet but still have to be responsible for debts and interest still mounts, family still have expenses and need to be fed. Almost every aspect of society is effected.

At the time when people are in need in a never ending winding road, everyone walks around being masked and most of police officers are assigned to do virus checks on road blocks 24 hours. This is a risky time for crimes.

Recently, there is rise in crimes of robbery in banks, gold smiths and convenience stores by criminals using violence and war weapons. Most importantly, these crimes are fast approaching Pattaya City and close to the area of my juristic responsibility.

Me…….the superintendent of Pattaya City Police Station, as the chief of police of this city, I cannot allow the people of my city become the victims of such crimes and add on to their suffering in these difficult times.

No matter how risky or tired we are, all police officers of Pattaya City Police Station will sacrifice and devote ourselves to the safety of the people of Pattaya city in protecting their lives and properties including the harmony of the city until the city is back to normality and back to the world class tourism destination it once was again. Pattaya will be prosperous once again, we will make it happen together! Make Pattaya Great Again.

Pol Col Khemmarin Pissamai, March 29, 2020

Edited by Evil Penevil

If you've cancelled or had your trip cancelled, when are you thinking of booking the next one for, so as not to have it happen again, as best you can surmise?

Me, I had one for June/July. 

But thinking rebook everything for either Xmas or January.

But probably be a couple of months before I have that option. Things could well have changed a fair bit by then ...

11 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Not rebooking until we get the all clear from both UK and Thailand ... but easy for me , don't need to put anything in the diary ...

This is the most sensible approach. I wouldn't book anything at the moment. Not only because of the immediate travel restrictions but many airlines will go bust as a result of this, most will be bailed out but not all.

12 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Not rebooking until we get the all clear from both UK and Thailand ... but easy for me , don't need to put anything in the diary ...

Same for me, I have an upcoming flight to Canada in May which is sure not to happen now, not sure whether the airline will give a full refund or ask for alternative dates. Hopefully it will be a refund.

• Thumbs Up 1

A very good, first person account of how fast, and severe the symptoms can be. End of the article had some good info on what his medical bills were.

What It’S Like To Catch, And Survive, The Coronavirus In Thailand

Feng was wheeled to the quarantine area and nurses stuck swabs about 20 centimeters down his nose and throat (“It’s a terrible feeling, very unpleasant. But you get used to it.”) as well as a blood sample.

Feng was feeling relatively well – until 1am that night. He woke up, inexplicably cold, with a dull pain in his left lung. He got some paracetamol from the nurses. At 3am, he woke up dazed, incoherent, with his hospital gown drenched in sweat, with the pain increasing. He measured a 37.7C fever.

He couldn’t sleep for the remainder of the night. Nurses came in at 5am to ask him questions relating to the virus that he had already answered, and at 7am, they informed him he had tested positive for the coronavirus.

“This is when it hit me. I was completely, completely, shocked. I was lost for 30 seconds, don’t know how to react. I was completely dazed,” Feng recalled. “I started shaking because of the sickness and receiving this news and battling my emotions.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Great Info 2