COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

10 hours ago, tommy dee said:

todays ringfencing of the city turned into a fiasco that will without doubt see repercussions.  most ignored the news, thousands queued until they had to open the roads.  that isnt goin to go down well here..

I think any repercussions should be aimed at the police for poor planning/execution.  I bet everyone thought they had a legitimate reason for travelling.

30 minutes ago, KWA said:

I think any repercussions should be aimed at the police for poor planning/execution.  I bet everyone thought they had a legitimate reason for travelling.

Disagree. It wasn't the BIB who decided how many and where to place the checkpoints. Piss poor thought went into this, or more likely no thought at all by those making the decisions.

As for the reason for traveling, a fair number are trying to either come home from work or go to work. Backups at the railway road intersections for SCC Rd, Nern Plub Wan, Khao Noi and Khao Talo during late afternoon, early evening are the norm for that reason. Forcing all those sois to use a single checkpoint at SCC Rd, plus add in the volume of traffic that was diverted off of Hwy 7 and from the south at Huai Yai and it's no surprise you end up with a massive traffic backup. WTF were they thinking.

And now I read Closure restrictions of Pattaya City to continue but checkpoints will be adjusted for traffic concerns. Another WTF moment. And their reasoning...

Mayor Sonthaya stressed that the National Covid19 team as well as local and Provincial leadership feel that Pattaya, like Phuket, still has many high risk groups that could potentially have the Covid19 virus in the city. This includes roughly 2,800 foreign and domestic tourists still in the area, many who recently arrived from other provinces.

So their reason for inconveniencing 10's of thousands of people is limiting the possible spread of the virus from a group of 2,800 people, who I might add they have addresses for. Fcking A man, just test them and be done with it. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Disagree. It wasn't the BIB who decided how many and where to place the checkpoints. Piss poor thought went into this, or more likely no thought at all by those making the decisions.

OK, the planners.  I though the police would have had input, but you're probably right and some nameless beaurocrat decided without any thought to the logistics.

6 minutes ago, KWA said:

OK, the planners.  I though the police would have had input, but you're probably right and some nameless beaurocrat decided without any thought to the logistics.

In this case it's not a nameless bureaucrat. Unfortunately because of the draconian anti-defamation laws in Thailand the bureaucrat can't be named without risking jail time. Not hard to figure out who though if you read the early news reports leading up to the decision to close Pattaya.

I will say this is a good example of what happens with top down government, with feedback from the lower ranks generally not tolerated. The result is someone high up makes a suggestion that something might be a good idea and their underlings take it as an order. Even if they think it might not be workable, or needed, they dare not express that opinion. The result is we see some plans and projects implemented, but soon abandoned for the reasons that were dare not expressed before those same plans were put into motion.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

In this case it's not a nameless bureaucrat. Unfortunately because of the draconian anti-defamation laws in Thailand the bureaucrat can't be named without risking jail time. Not hard to figure out who though if you read the early news reports leading up to the decision to close Pattaya.

I will say this is a good example of what happens with top down government, with feedback from the lower ranks generally not tolerated. The result is someone high up makes a suggestion that something might be a good idea and their underlings take it as an order. Even if they think it might not be workable, or needed, they dare not express that opinion. The result is we see some plans and projects implemented, but soon abandoned for the reasons that were dare not expressed before those same plans were put into motion.

annoying yes, a trial for sure and a fail.  they were trting to keep the suk clear.  if u think that a pain, wait until you here the next plan.  will be out later today but it will certainly be different.

FWIW i dont blame them any more for the "watch the farang" thing, as they include chinks and koreans and nips in the whole bag with us.  most of the cases came via non thais, fact.  and they are scared, as any admin would be, of ending up like a lot of western countries.  my theory, anyone who doesnt like it, f off home.. where I am sure the bag count is 100 times that of here, sadly.

I know the people making the decisions,  and I talked to them again today.  they were in meetings till very late last night to try and fathom out a good alternative

5 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Yes of course and my names Henry V111 lol

Hi Henry. How are the all the wives and mia nois ??

Anyway hope you and your lovely Mrs are safe up Korat way. Mrs reckons its all locked down out your way and road blocks from the city out to the boondocks .......

she still knows a few places to get boxes of ice cold Leo however. :default_drinks: Knock 3 times and ask for Somchai ......

Edited by nampla69
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

One of my concerns is what sort of knee jerk reactions the Thais will come up with. They have just announced today that all school breaks in October 2020 and April 2021 are cancelled. That would mean the students and teachers would have to go from July 2020 until October 2021 without a break, other than public holidays. I hope it's not a sign of more brainfarts to come.

• Sad 1
  • Surprised 1

9 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

One of my concerns is what sort of knee jerk reactions the Thais will come up with. They have just announced today that all school breaks in October 2020 and April 2021 are cancelled. That would mean the students and teachers would have to go from July 2020 until October 2021 without a break, other than public holidays. I hope it's not a sign of more brainfarts to come.

They say these things knowing that nobody will expect them to actually happen.

• Haha 3

New checkpoint locations being put in place today, although nothing yet at one I just went through to get to Foodland on Klang.  This should be fun.

At Mareewit School
Near Mueang Jamlong
Entrance to Pattana Nua (North Pattaya) at the Prinya Sai 3 intersection
Pattaya Klang (Central Pattaya) at Soi Arunothai
Pattaya Tai (South Pattaya) at Soi Kophai
Thepprasit Intersection
Intersection near Boon Kanjanagaram Temple
I-yakan Intersection

• Like 1

Well we still have only had the one confirmed case in Mae Sot and that was a paki up from Pattaya and he is stuck here now thanks to the travel restrictions which serves him right.

I blame all you dirty, unwashed expats in Pattaya for the fact that notwithstanding the fact that we are clean and clear up here in the north west, from today, I can no longer get a beer at my local fishing park which is well out of order.

Good job I got some emergency supplies in last night. 😀

Edited by Jambo
  • Like 1
  • Surprised 1

11 minutes ago, KWA said:

New checkpoint locations being put in place today, although nothing yet at one I just went through to get to Foodland on Klang.  This should be fun.

At Mareewit School
Near Mueang Jamlong
Entrance to Pattana Nua (North Pattaya) at the Prinya Sai 3 intersection
Pattaya Klang (Central Pattaya) at Soi Arunothai
Pattaya Tai (South Pattaya) at Soi Kophai
Thepprasit Intersection
Intersection near Boon Kanjanagaram Temple
I-yakan Intersection

yes, designed to keep the suk clear and also free up jomtien and najklua as most cases have been in the city centre.  not a bad plan really.  vut i wouldnt want to be driving in daytime for sure, long queues.  fwiw, going to foodland at 5am, is a breeze..  i didi it last week, it opens at 4am  and was in full swing.  anyway why the f would u want to go into the city centre, all closed anyway, 

there is more coming but  not released yet.. will involve us farang tho for sure

t

5 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

yes, designed to keep the suk clear and also free up jomtien and najklua as most cases have been in the city centre.  not a bad plan really.  vut i wouldnt want to be driving in daytime for sure, long queues.  fwiw, going to foodland at 5am, is a breeze..  i didi it last week, it opens at 4am  and was in full swing.  anyway why the f would u want to go into the city centre, all closed anyway

Yup, posted this a week ago.

foodland.jpg

As for going to the city centre, it's for better food choices than Big C, Foodland, Friendship etc. and even just a change of scenery when out for a wander.

38 minutes ago, KWA said:

Yup, posted this a week ago.

foodland.jpg

As for going to the city centre, it's for better food choices than Big C, Foodland, Friendship etc. and even just a change of scenery when out for a wander.

if you cant find somehwere nice to wander in your own area, i send you my pity.  walking around a series of streets full of vacant or closed shops must be invigorating.  for me I think anything done to cotain this is a good thing, even if it only saves one person from ebing sick

we get complaints about the number of anti covid ads on our radio, but as listeners dont pay, and advertisers cant.. its simple.. if we grate on one person enough that they listen, then thats a win.  stay safe

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

if you cant find somehwere nice to wander in your own area, i send you my pity.  walking around a series of streets full of vacant or closed shops must be invigorating.

Eh, pity?  "My area" is within the "blockade" but in the past couple of weeks I've walked on both sides of the divide.  I've walked new to me streets in quite a few areas and hope to continue that, quite comfortable that I'm no more danger to anyone walking ten or twenty blocks from home than one.  Probably less as I explore side streets and quieter areas.  I'm trying to avoid Beach Road on purpose as it's too busy, and it's a pleasure to see some of the previously unexplored sois.  The food markets make it even more worthwhile.

16 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

we get complaints about the number of anti covid ads on our radio, but as listeners dont pay, and advertisers cant.. its simple.. if we grate on one person enough that they listen, then thats a win.  stay safe

Let me be (as usual) the devils advocate..

So you put 100 young married guys with kids out of job, out of income to save one  75 y old single guy ? And that's fair ?

Even if I was that 75y old I would tell you it's not and if there is one person to "sacrify" it's me. 

And yup, I am safe, at the beach with a drink watching the waves. And by doing that I dont even endanger anybody elses life....

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Let me be (as usual) the devils advocate..

So you put 100 young married guys with kids out of job, out of income to save one  75 y old single guy ? And that's fair ?

Even if I was that 75y old I would tell you it's not and if there is one person to "sacrify" it's me. 

And yup, I am safe, at the beach with a drink watching the waves. And by doing that I dont even endanger anybody elses life....

I'll see you devil's advocacy and raise it.

What about when one of the kids belonging to a young married guy is rushed to hospital with a life threatening condition only to find there are no ICU beds available, they are all full with Covid-19 patients because social distancing was not enforced.

PS. Fuk off, you're not getting my ventilator!

PPS. It's not about saving lives although that's the sugar restrictions are being coated with. It's about preventing health care systems from collapsing!

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, fygjam said:

I'll see you devil's advocacy and raise it.

What about when one of the kids belonging to a young married guy is rushed to hospital with a life threatening condition only to find there are no ICU beds available, they are all full with Covid-19 patients because social distancing was not enforced.

PS. Fuk off, you're not getting my ventilator!

PPS. It's not about saving lives although that's the sugar restrictions are being coated with. It's about preventing health care systems from collapsing!

Wrong

2 minutes ago, fygjam said:

A bit like you I'm afraid.

Totally without substance!

Again, for the 1000th time :

my opinion and point of view is just that. But I live by it. Always have, always will.

Now, everybody else is allowed to think and act differently,  just dont bother me, and dont start taking away my freedom.

As simple as that. 

2 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Again, for the 1000th time :

my opinion and point of view is just that. But I live by it. Always have, always will.

Now, everybody else is allowed to think and act differently,  just dont bother me, and dont start taking away my freedom.

As simple as that. 

So let me get this straight.

You're allowed to express your point of view.

But you want to restrict my freedom by not allowing me to voice my opinion on your point of view.

I think the hypocrisy shown here would take you breath away quicker than a dose of Covid-19.