COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

We have a quite a number of shops along our Village high street which create more like an extended market all of whom sell fresh food and several at least bottled beer.

Beer is actually a pretty good store of calories, and the Franks used it for most of their winter calorie needs in the middle ages.

Pattaya total alcohol ban from late last night - my experience this morning.

Was out for an early wander round and went into three 711s, all of whom had there usual beer fridges full and spirits behind the tills, but of course too early to buy anyway.  Out later at around 10:45 and the 7s had emptied their beer fridges and restocked them with soft drinks.  Spirits were replaced with  Easter Eggs and other stuff.  Big C roped off drink area and new signs announcing the total ban which was also being announced on the tannoy system.

In between these two ventures a mate and I sourced two cases of Mybeer from a local business, that's now in the fridge, and a delivery promise for more if we want.  It's all still available for now if you know where to look/who to ask, but the Thais were rightly requesting we kept it discreet.

Edited by KWA
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

If things don't return to some resemblance of normal relatively soon, I think it's now within the realm of possibilities that we may all have to start carrying a document certifying we're clean.

we are actually activedly promoting that idea on 103.  may blame the non thais for covid, and to be fair most cases have been from non thais or association with non thais.  Phuket is the 2nd worst for the virus after the capital and is now in full 24/7 lockdown, which I happen to know they mayor here doesnt want except as a last resort.  I do think covid checks and pass cards/ID cards would be welcomed by the thais and us too.   updated weekly.  and there are ways of doing that, already .. and here in the LOS.   it would also be a chance of establishing ture location of all non thais too.  so that in the event we fail the test, it takes 2 days I think, we can be advised and helped.

I am sure the non believers arent affected but so far, int he UK, I have lost a pal, a work collegue lost his grandmother, and now one of our presenters isnt too well.  In NY I lost a friend who was a fit and gigging musician.  and even if you dont believe any of it, or work on conspiracy theories, thats fine, its your choice but the reality is that here we are is part of a sequence of events that isnt going to just stop. 

the old addage of " adapt, adopt and improve" comes to mind, we cant beat it but we can placate.  we can do our bit, and having clearance cards is certainly a good idea.. (just my 2 germs worth)

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, KWA said:

Pattaya total alcohol ban from late last night - my experience this morning.

Was out for an early wander round and went into three 711s, all of whom had there usual beer fridges full and spirits behind the tills, but of course too early to buy anyway.  Out later at around 10:45 and the 7s had emptied their beer fridges and restocked them with soft drinks.  Spirits were replaced with  Easter Eggs and other stuff.  Big C roped off drink area and new signs announcing the total ban which was also being announced on the tannoy system.

In between these two ventures a mate and I sourced two cases of Mybeer from a local business, that's now in the fridge, and a delivery promise for more if we want.  It's all still available for now if you know where to look/who to ask, but the Thais were rightly requesting we kept it discreet.

On the offchance, I went off to a couple of booze wholesalers I sometimes use on Soi 17 (the one that runs from Second Road by Walking Street up to Third Road). No problems, they were happily selling anything so I came back with ten cases of beer and a couple of litres of whisky and Bombay, should see me safely through next week anyway, lol.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

I do think covid checks and pass cards/ID cards would be welcomed by the thais and us too.   updated weekly. 

When we in the UK are having problems getting testing kits for front line workers, you think you can get the general populus tested weekly?

• Like 2

I have no objections to documents certifying one hasn't left the country since a specified date, but it has to be applied to all, not just westerners or foreigners.

As for a medical certificate. From a practical standpoint I don't see how that would work unless they invested a huge amount in the infrastructure for test centers, not to mention access to a supply of test kits to test all on a weekly basis. Doubt any western country could pull that one off.

10 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

we are actually activedly promoting that idea on 103.  may blame the non thais for covid, and to be fair most cases have been from non thais or association with non thais.  Phuket is the 2nd worst for the virus after the capital and is now in full 24/7 lockdown, which I happen to know they mayor here doesnt want except as a last resort.  I do think covid checks and pass cards/ID cards would be welcomed by the thais and us too.   updated weekly.  and there are ways of doing that, already .. and here in the LOS.   it would also be a chance of establishing ture location of all non thais too.  so that in the event we fail the test, it takes 2 days I think, we can be advised and helped.

I am sure the non believers arent affected but so far, int he UK, I have lost a pal, a work collegue lost his grandmother, and now one of our presenters isnt too well.  In NY I lost a friend who was a fit and gigging musician.  and even if you dont believe any of it, or work on conspiracy theories, thats fine, its your choice but the reality is that here we are is part of a sequence of events that isnt going to just stop. 

the old addage of " adapt, adopt and improve" comes to mind, we cant beat it but we can placate.  we can do our bit, and having clearance cards is certainly a good idea.. (just my 2 germs worth)

Anyone who doesn't believe all this is an absolute fool.

Good luck out there Tommy and all the rest of the Expats that are taking notice.

The rest of you start believing because this shit is not going away too soon.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

50 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I have no objections to documents certifying one hasn't left the country since a specified date, but it has to be applied to all, not just westerners or foreigners.

As for a medical certificate. From a practical standpoint I don't see how that would work unless they invested a huge amount in the infrastructure for test centers, not to mention access to a supply of test kits to test all on a weekly basis. Doubt any western country could pull that one off.

Well there is no way that we will be able to be properly tested weekly and obtain repeat certificates to confirm that we do not have coronavirus.

I once had to obtain a medical certificate in Thailand in support of some document I needed. I walked into the clinic just down the Soi from Secrets and gave them 200 baht and they gave me a certificate confirming I did not any any of about 10 possible illnesses without them asking me one single question.

• Haha 7
  • Surprised 1

2 hours ago, tommy dee said:

Anybody who thinks Thailand can do intensive testing is a dreamer. First class western countries are not able to do it, so good luck in a 3rd world country.

The only country that has succeeded in that field was South Korea. And there is world of difference between Korean organization and Thai mess...

Clearance cards ? Valid how long ? Issued by who ? 

Maybe we'll see a return of the VD clinics, rebaptized "C19" clinic ? Test and certificate for 200b as Jambo said.

• Like 1

Pattaya News posted on FB an English version of the revised checkpoints starting this Tuesday. Unless there's additional checkpoints they haven't published, looks like you could enter Pattaya from the north on local roads without having to go through a checkpoint. I can foresee backups on Sukhumvit for southbound traffic, and again on the railway road from diverted northbound traffic from Sukhumvit.
93256841_669269573824055_5288616793202491392_n.jpg

6 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Anybody who thinks Thailand can do intensive testing is a dreamer. First class western countries are not able to do it, so good luck in a 3rd world country.

The only country that has succeeded in that field was South Korea. And there is world of difference between Korean organization and Thai mess...

Clearance cards ? Valid how long ? Issued by who ? 

Maybe we'll see a return of the VD clinics, rebaptized "C19" clinic ? Test and certificate for 200b as Jambo said.

well my little froche, the fitst lesson is that Thailand is not a 3rd world but  second  world country, then you will be on the the ball

9 hours ago, tommy dee said:

I am sure the non believers arent affected but so far

A guy I knew died about a week ago, and I suspect I had it myself.  My mother is a ~90 year old cancer survivor.

Because I think the world's reaction to this isn't rational, that doesn't mean I don't know that people die from it. 

People die from lots of causes that don't give governments an excuse to put everyone under house arrest and engage in fascistic take-overs of economies and businesses.

Edited by Rompho Ray
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

well my little froche, the fitst lesson is that Thailand is not a 3rd world but  second  world country, then you will be on the the ball

Opinions vary.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/third-world-countries/

"Because Thailand did not initially join the Allies or the Communism Bloc, it is a Third World country. Thailand is considered to be a developing country or more accurately a New Industrialized Country. This means that Thailand has advanced farther relative to other countries, but has not yet reached the level of modern industrialized nations, such as the Western Nations. A large part of Thailand is still poor and rural."

BTW, "get out of quarantine free" cards will only be as good as the tests they use to hand them out.  If the tests aren't very accurate, they simply act as super-spreader permission slips. 

The best solution continues to be to quarantine the sick, the at-risk, and the likely exposed, and let everyone else get on with it.  IMO of course.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Rompho Ray said:

Opinions vary.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/third-world-countries/

"Because Thailand did not initially join the Allies or the Communism Bloc, it is a Third World country. Thailand is considered to be a developing country or more accurately a New Industrialized Country. This means that Thailand has advanced farther relative to other countries, but has not yet reached the level of modern industrialized nations, such as the Western Nations. A large part of Thailand is still poor and rural."

BTW, "get out of quarantine free" cards will only be as good as the tests they use to hand them out.  If the tests aren't very accurate, they simply act as super-spreader permission slips. 

The best solution continues to be to quarantine the sick, the at-risk, and the likely exposed, and let everyone else get on with it.  IMO of course.

agreed the quaLity of the test is the rate limiting factor...f**k all use in having a test that is not fit for purpose...it needs to be 95%plus ..anything less is a recipe for resurgence on the virus

False negs are the greatest danger 

12 minutes ago, KWA said:

Girl listening to something on her phone mentioned Prayut was talking about easing some restrictions, then a few minutes later a mate sent me this with the claim that Nonthaburi are  doing exactly that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sweet3Mango/status/1249860526793883651?s=06

pretty much been same here all the while in pattaya. hair salons, not nails, barbers, DIY all allowed to open

4 hours ago, tommy dee said:

pretty much been same here all the while in pattaya. hair salons, not nails, barbers, DIY all allowed to open

I was in Tesco Lotus this morning and their office supplies/stationary section was open (I needed some pens) but the electrical goods part was all taped off. You could get light bulbs and batteries, but no electrical gadgets. Amazingly quiet there, I think closing the food court upstairs must have put off a lot of people from bothering to visit.

Just suppose one had a 90 day to do on the 15th April.

The covid19 special dispensation state one does not have to obtain a renewal as one is in the period up to 30 April.

Question:

In the above example, when would that person NEXT have to next renew their 90 day?

34 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Just suppose one had a 90 day to do on the 15th April.

The covid19 special dispensation state one does not have to obtain a renewal as one is in the period up to 30 April.

Question:

In the above example, when would that person NEXT have to next renew their 90 day?

You'll find out the correct answer when you report on 30 April, but my guess is it would be 90 days from that date.

Edited by forcebwithu
changed renew to report as technically that's what you're doing with the 90 day report
  • Like 1