COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1944336/travel-bubble-scheme-drawn-up-in-3-phases

This article in the Bangkok Post amuses me!

"The draft calls for Thailand to offer a bubble scheme to countries that are low-risk, meaning free from the pandemic for 30 days, according to the World Health Organization.

Three countries fall into this category: China, Japan and Taiwan."

Really??!!

Travel bubble scheme drawn up in 3 phases

1,000 tourists a day in 5 provinces to start

PUBLISHED : 2 JUL 2020 AT 06:01

NEWSPAPER SECTION: BUSINESS

WRITER: NARUMON KASEMSUK

•  
  •  
Phuket's nightlife area before its reopening on Wednesday. (Photo: Achadtaya Chuenniran)

Phuket's nightlife area before its reopening on Wednesday. (Photo: Achadtaya Chuenniran)

A travel bubble plan for leisure travellers has been drafted with three phases for opening, starting with a mere 1,000 tourists per day across five provinces.

Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, the tourism and sports minister, said the ministry already asked the Association of Thai Travel Agents (Atta) and the Tourism Council of Thailand (TCT) to design 6-7 day tour packages in five areas that are ready to join the pilot project, comprising Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Krabi, Phuket and Pattaya.

The number of international tourists is capped at 1,000 per day nationwide in the first phase without a 14-day quarantine, and is expected to start in August. If any province's capability to handle swab tests for the coronavirus rises, the government will allow a higher number based on that volume.

The draft requires approval from the Public Health Ministry, including a list of countries with similar requirements that should be finalised within two weeks.

The draft calls for Thailand to offer a bubble scheme to countries that are low-risk, meaning free from the pandemic for 30 days, according to the World Health Organization.

Three countries fall into this category: China, Japan and Taiwan.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry plan to hear local opinions this week, after the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration assigned the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and TCT with conducting a survey of eight destinations: Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Chiang Mai, Krabi, Chiang Rai and Hat Yai.

Mr Phiphat said after the government approved domestic tourism stimulus packages on Tuesday, he estimates the domestic tourism goal this year could be 120 million trips, up from 100 million trips, as the subsidy can trigger those with purchasing power to spend on tourism activities.

The number of international tourists is expected to be slow because of more requirements regarding health safety concerns.

3678984.jpg

Achieving 1.23 trillion baht in revenue will be a challenge because domestic tourists typically spend less than foreigners, said Mr Phiphat.

In the first phase of the travel bubble for the leisure market, Thailand has to start with tour groups because it is easier to manage routes, areas, and activities, said TAT governor Yuthasak Supasorn.

He said within a month of the first phase reopening in designated destinations, if Thailand succeeds in handling services for inbound guests without triggering new infections, the second phase will see more destinations and a higher number of tourists allowed in.

The third phase is when the whole country can open to international tourists again, for both tour groups and individual travellers, by adopting the same screening standards from the first two phases.

Mr Yuthasak said TAT will also have to increase travel frequency among Thai tourists, from an average of 2.7 trips per year to three trips this year, to help tourism operators.

1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

I've flown into Thailand several hundred times since my first trip back in 1979 and never in my wildest dreams (or worst nightmares) did I imagine an airport arrival could be like the video.  :sad:

Do they also provide shuttle bus back to  swampy airport after two weeks quarantine for us two week millionaires?

• Haha 1

On 7/2/2020 at 1:36 AM, Thai Spice said:

That is not the subject. And your info is wrong.  Don't confound Aceh and Indonesia.

So you can demean Thailand but if anyone points out the hypocrisy of your post, 'that's not the subject'. The information is not wrong, it does happen. 

'Children watch from front row seats as men and women scream in pain while they are WHIPPED for breaking sharia law in Indonesia'. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4696812/amp/Women-men-beaten-violating-Sharia-Law-Indonesia.html

8 hours ago, Mrmango said:

Does it mean that if I fly to Taiwan for 2 weeks and test negative, I can visit Thailand without the 14 day quaranteen?

As far as I have read, all visitors must enter quarantine upon arrival in Thailand. 

8 hours ago, Mrmango said:

Does it mean that if I fly to Taiwan for 2 weeks and test negative, I can visit Thailand without the 14 day quaranteen?

I imagine the travel bubbles will be restricted to locals from those nations, otherwise it could be considered a backdoor. Also, those countries themselves may have quarantine requirements. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Esco said:

I imagine the travel bubbles will be restricted to locals from those nations, otherwise it could be considered a backdoor. Also, those countries themselves may have quarantine requirements. 

I think you've entered a few backdoors in your time. 

😋🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, nampla69 said:

FFS Thailand not on the list of 54 quarantine free countries just published. No fecking cases there ................. looks like the death knell for travel there this year now.

Was on the provisional list ........

Probably as it wouldn't be reciprocal. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Krapow said:

Probably as it wouldn't be reciprocal. 

Several non reciprocal countries in there so wonder why not Thailand.  Perhaps they don't believe the data?

4 hours ago, KWA said:

Several non reciprocal countries in there so wonder why not Thailand.  Perhaps they don't believe the data?

Most likely it is in response to the fact that for all practical purposes tourists from the UK will not be able to visit Thailand in the foreseeable furure.

There is no way my UK family will be able to take up their KLM flight options booked for the end of August to visit me.

Edited by Jambo
  • Sad 1

In case anyone missed this announcement:

Pattaya News.JPG

Pattaya added to list of proposed travel bubble 
locations in Thailand by Thai Tourism Ministry

By Adam Judd -Thursday, 2 July 2020, 18:15

Pattaya-  The Thai Tourism Ministry in partnership with the Ministry of Public Health is preparing to finalize countries and locations for upcoming “travel bubbles” for tourists to visit Thailand from low risk countries and locations.

The final list of countries was still being debated this afternoon by both Ministries, however, the five locations proposed for tourists to visit changed from five islands proposed late last month. The countries will then be sent to the CCSA for final confirmation and approval over the next several weeks.

The five locations where travel bubbles will be permitted to enter, under the proposal, are Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Krabi, Phuket and Pattaya.  Additional locations may be added over time.

The definition of low risk countries has still not been fully fleshed out and is being discussed as part of the meetings with both ministries, however Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn confirmed the locations for travel bubble tourists, which now includes Pattaya, are final.

This will be welcome news for some Pattaya business owners with a lack of international tourists at this time and the city relying on tourism for an approximate 80 percent of their overall revenue.

Exact numbers of tourists under the bubble and countries should be finalized in the near future, Phiphat added in an interview with associated press today. Phiphat also said the countries in Thailand’s travel bubbles must be deemed at low risk for Covid-19 by the World Health Organisation. (WHO)

If successful, more locations and phases would be added in future months, Phipat concluded.

14 hours ago, Jambo said:

Most likely it is in response to the fact that for all practical purposes tourists from the UK will not be able to visit Thailand in the foreseeable furure.

There is no way my UK family will be able to take up their KLM flight options booked for the end of August to visit me.

There are plenty other countries on  the list where that reason could also apply, but they still made it onto the list.  For example, why would Vietnam be on it when they have stricter control on Brits allowed in there?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, KWA said:

There are plenty other countries on  the list where that reason could also apply, but they still made it onto the list.  For example, why would Vietnam be on it when they have stricter control on Brits allowed in there?

No idea mate.

Doesn't seem to make any sense in the UK excluding Thailand but it is very difficult to argue against Thailand imposing some kind of "sensible" restrictions to potential tourists from the UK and England in particular. I did however say "sensible" and not the current draconian measures.

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

No idea mate.

Doesn't seem to make any sense in the UK excluding Thailand but it is very difficult to argue against Thailand imposing some kind of "sensible" restrictions to potential tourists from the UK and England in particular. I did however say "sensible" and not the current draconian measures.

There is always politics involved in these decisions. 

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

There is always politics involved in these decisions. 

I can imagine some weeks ago somebody important from the UK - the ambassador to Thailand, maybe - will have approached the Thai government and proposed that the UK would let travelers from Thailand enter without quarantine in exchange for Thailand giving free access to British travelers. At this point, the entire Thai cabinet fell onto the carpet, rolling around with laughter, leading to a major loss of face for said ambassador who demanded revenge for the sake of his honour by banning Thailand from the air bridge plan. 

• Like 3