COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

From Bloomberg News, via  the South China Morning Post:

SCMP2.JPG.f35525f882cae7cbd20ed121a7b1c7ac.JPG

Thailand has Asia’s gloomiest economic forecast
as tourism and exports hit hard by coronavirus

• Gross domestic product is forecast to contract 8.1 per cent this year, according to the Bank of Thailand. That would be Thailand’s biggest ever decline.
  • Efforts to promote domestic tourism won’t offset the tremendous losses to this critical industry, which last year made up about one-fifth of Thailand’s economy.

Bloomberg

Published: 10:43am, 7 Jul, 2020

Thailand has been cited as a success story in containing the coronavirus outbreak, having gone more than 40 days without any local transmission of Covid-19. Yet its economic outlook is the darkest in Asia.

Gross domestic product is forecast to contract 8.1 per cent this year, according to the Bank of Thailand. That’s worse than official forecasts for any of the main economies across Asia, and would be Thailand’s biggest GDP decline ever, surpassing even its plunge during the Asian financial crisis two decades ago.

“Thailand has large exposure as a tourism hub, close to 15 per cent of GDP, and it also has large exposure of the export-oriented sector,” said Kiatipong Ariyapruchya, senior economist for Thailand at the World Bank. “Hence the large shock to GDP.”

(READ MORE)

• Great Info 1

Here's a report about the latest quarantine cases found in Thailand, and it contains a fascinating paragraph:

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391216?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

What has especially caused concern is the third case – of an asymptomatic 43-year-old male Egyptian soldier, who travelled with a military crew to Thailand on July 8. He was found positive yesterday. He and his group travelled from Cairo to the United Arab Emirates (July 6), then to Pakistan (July 7) and Thailand (July 8). He and the crew reportedly visited a Rayong shopping and community area. They left their hotel on July 9 and travelled to China on an unspecified military mission via U-Tapao Airport. They returned to Thailand the same day. On July 10, the crew of 31 got tested. However, they were allowed to go home on July 11 though their Covid-19 test results weren’t confirmed. The soldier was found to test positive on July 12. Health authorities were questioning the staff of the unnamed hotel in which the group stayed.

1 minute ago, Bazle said:

Here's a report about the latest quarantine cases found in Thailand, and it contains a fascinating paragraph:

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391216?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

What has especially caused concern is the third case – of an asymptomatic 43-year-old male Egyptian soldier, who travelled with a military crew to Thailand on July 8. He was found positive yesterday. He and his group travelled from Cairo to the United Arab Emirates (July 6), then to Pakistan (July 7) and Thailand (July 8). He and the crew reportedly visited a Rayong shopping and community area. They left their hotel on July 9 and travelled to China on an unspecified military mission via U-Tapao Airport. They returned to Thailand the same day. On July 10, the crew of 31 got tested. However, they were allowed to go home on July 11 though their Covid-19 test results weren’t confirmed. The soldier was found to test positive on July 12. Health authorities were questioning the staff of the unnamed hotel in which the group stayed.

Kiss goodbye to any chances of farang tourists being allowed in this side of Christmas. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

That's disappointing, I thought the Thais had things sewn up pretty tight, but evidently not.

5 hours ago, Bazle said:

My daughter's school in Rayong has just sent out a message that they're closing back down, for at least another week.  I expect due to this.

It's not clear from that report, but the Thai language reports say that they arrived at night on the 8th and left for China early the 9th, arriving back at night.  So I'm hoping that the day they visited the malls, etc, was the 10th, because my wife and daughter went to one of the malls he's listed as visting the 9th.

7 hours ago, Bazle said:

1 hour ago, tko said:

My daughter's school in Rayong has just sent out a message that they're closing back down, for at least another week.  I expect due to this.

It's not clear from that report, but the Thai language reports say that they arrived at night on the 8th and left for China early the 9th, arriving back at night.  So I'm hoping that the day they visited the malls, etc, was the 10th, because my wife and daughter went to one of the malls he's listed as visting the 9th.

So everybody who visited that mall since that day should tremble ? ? ? 

I have just noticed this on Facebook. I post it merely for information, and will make no comment about it as I don't want to turn this thread into a pro/anti smoking one.

Crystal Club Pattaya is at Crystal Club Pattaya

Due to enforcing the law of Thailand on no smoking and covid 19 , crystal club takes the necessary steps to obey our authorities and will now become a no smoking club , we ask our customers please to adea to the rules . We understand it causes some who smoke a bit of grief and anger, we kindly just ask you to step outside have a smoke and return inside . We are sorry but now it’s the way of the world . thanks for your understanding in the matter

ThaiVisasmall.jpg.fa531b8c1ab20a4b546cc339c7f57124.jpg

More than half of Thais don't want foreigners back, 
despite 14 day quarantine:  Poll

The latest Thai public opinion poll has suggested that more than half of all Thais do not want foreigners allowed back in the country just yet even if they have to undergo a 14 day quarantine. 

They fear a second wave of the virus coming in from abroad. 

A small majority broadly agreed with the travel bubble plan to allow foreigners in from countries deemed to have coronavirus under control but the largest set of respondents still said "no way" to the idea.

A clear majority of people don't have confidence in the government's ability to handle having foreigners back.

(Read More)  (Original Source: Sanook)

23 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

ThaiVisasmall.jpg.fa531b8c1ab20a4b546cc339c7f57124.jpg

More than half of Thais don't want foreigners back, 
despite 14 day quarantine:  Poll

The latest Thai public opinion poll has suggested that more than half of all Thais do not want foreigners allowed back in the country just yet even if they have to undergo a 14 day quarantine. 

They fear a second wave of the virus coming in from abroad. 

A small majority broadly agreed with the travel bubble plan to allow foreigners in from countries deemed to have coronavirus under control but the largest set of respondents still said "no way" to the idea.

A clear majority of people don't have confidence in the government's ability to handle having foreigners back.

(Read More)  (Original Source: Sanook)

No surprise here.  They already dont like us in normal times , so what do you expect ?

Remember 20 y ago who was the dirty animal responsible for spreading AIDS ? 

8 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

No surprise here.  They already dont like us in normal times , so what do you expect ?

selfish people refusing to wear condoms ? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

I didn't expect anything.  I posted an excerpt of the article with links but without comment.  You can read the results of the survey itself here.

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

It was more like 35 years ago.  The first publicly acknowledged case of AIDS in Thailand was in 1984 a Thai male university student who had caught the disease in the U.S. and been diagnosed there.  He returned to Thailand basically to die.  He didn't transmit it to anyone else as he was too sick at the time.

The first known AIDS case diagnosed in Thailand was in a male prostitute who worked in a bar in Patpong in Bangkok.  The next four cases were also Thai male sex workers.  After that, it spread to the Thai gay community and then to female sex workers and the general population.  By 1988, AIDS transmission had reached serious proportions in Thailand.

Thais did indeed believe foreigners had introduced AIDS to Thailand, which was to some degree true.  However, foreigners weren't significant in spreading AIDS to the broader population.

Evil

19 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

I didn't expect anything.  I posted an excerpt of the article with links but without comment.  You can read the results of the survey itself here.

It was more like 35 years ago.  The first publicly acknowledged case of AIDS in Thailand was in 1984 a Thai male university student who had caught the disease in the U.S. and been diagnosed there.  He returned to Thailand basically to die.  He didn't transmit it to anyone else as he was too sick at the time.

The first known AIDS case diagnosed in Thailand was in a male prostitute who worked in a bar in Patpong in Bangkok.  The next four cases were also Thai male sex workers.  After that, it spread to the Thai gay community and then to female sex workers and the general population.  By 1988, AIDS transmission had reached serious proportions in Thailand.

Thais did indeed believe foreigners had introduced AIDS to Thailand, which was to some degree true.  However, foreigners weren't significant in spreading AIDS to the broader population.

Evil

Lucky we have a great teacher like you....

I arrived in 89, lived in BKK till 99.

And dont ask me if I ever wore condoms....😁😁😁😁

10 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

So everybody who visited that mall since that day should tremble ? ? ? 

Yeah, you (deleted).   Have you seen how they shut down the country at the start of the pandemic?  This was almost over here, now both my kid's schools have been shut down again.  Thanks to contact tracing, everybody who visited that mall should be concerned about the reaction to this.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, tko said:

Yeah, you (deleted).   Have you seen how they shut down the country at the start of the pandemic?  This was almost over here, now both my kid's schools have been shut down again.  Thanks to contact tracing, everybody who visited that mall should be concerned about the reaction to this.

Up2U .... if it makes you feel better.....

No, they should not..... Statiscally the chances of having been infected AND have consequences are micro minimal.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Thai Spice said:

Up2U .... if it makes you feel better.....

No, they should not..... Statiscally the chances of having been infected AND have consequences are micro minimal.

Are you intentionally being obtuse?  I'm worried about the reaction of the authorities. They're already shutting schools that had nothing to do with this.  No one knows what they will do with the contact tracing lists of people who visited the malls.

2 minutes ago, tko said:

Are you intentionally being obtuse?  I'm worried about the reaction of the authorities. They're already shutting schools that had nothing to do with this.  No one knows what they will do with the contact tracing lists of people who visited the malls.

You're right on that part.

Authorities reactions all over the world have been mad and creating mayhem.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tko said:

Knowing the monkeys in charge here I see another 3 month shutdown coming even if no one catches this flu-bug.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, tko said:

They've become very relaxed on the tracking/Thai Chana system. I went to Harbour Mall in Laem Chabang for lunch with the GF last week, no checks at all to get into the mall, or into most shops and eateries. The only place with strict checks on entering was Tesco Lotus, which is kind of ironic as here in Pattaya I just walk straight into Lotus and ignore the temperature/book signing/QR code scanning stuff. Between people writing illegibly and others giving fake phone numbers, they're not going to be able to trace all the people, or maybe even half of them. And when they realise that their beloved Thai Chana is being abused and ignored, what will their reaction be? That's right.......not good news.

And the other shoe has dropped.  All the persons who scanned into the mall when the infected Egyptian visited have been ordered to self quarantine until 24 July, and contact the Rayong Public Health Office - I assume for monitoring.

Fortunately for us, they released the detailed timeline and he visited the day after my wife and daughter's visit.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tko said:

And the other shoe has dropped.  All the persons who scanned into the mall when the infected Egyptian visited have been ordered to self quarantine until 24 July, and contact the Rayong Public Health Office - I assume for monitoring.

Fortunately for us, they released the detailed timeline and he visited the day after my wife and daughter's visit.

This is exactly the kind of thing why i will never enrole in any tracking software system,  and never give my real tel number or coordinates ....

Last thing I want is some officials knocking on my door to quarantine me for some dubious reason.

4 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

I wonder if they can quote a source for the vaccine being rolled-out late next year!

The Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI) is predicting the hard-hit tourism sector will start to recover once a Covid-19 vaccine is rolled out late next year.