COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

44 minutes ago, Butch said:

I was thinking June / July as well. Good call. The problem is at this point in time, I'm reluctant to book or consider booking anything at all.

Yea, i normally book as far ahead as i can, save loads. But this time i'm like you, also reluctant. 

6 hours ago, Butch said:

I just read an article in "The Nation" about this, although the protests are relatively small, they are springing up around the Country. My Thai politics isn't really up to much, but this isn't the same as the Yellow / Red shirts from a few years ago is it?.

We're now pushing into late July / August, I honestly can't see flights starting anytime soon, apart from the current repatriation ones of course. Some have mentioned October, but I reckon that will involve jumping through some fairly small and tight hoops. The GDP of Thailand is going to take a bit of a hiding this year, no doubt. No wonder people are getting edgy.

Yes and No.

They have ditched the coloured shirts, but those former yellow shirt protesters support Prayuth and the government (many of whom were army generals at the time of the red shirt uprising in 2010), whilst the red shirts support the anti-establishment protesters.

What's different this time, is that these protesters have been very public in their attacks on a certain establishment figure, if you catch my drift.

They ought to be careful what they wish for, the current army general is a loose cannon, and a bit of a nutter. Sadly this is only going to end one way, in more bloodshed, maybe not now, but in the coming years.  

Edited by dcfc2007
  • Great Info 1

BERNAMA is a Malaysian government-owned news agency. My bold highlight.

Evil

Bernamasmall.jpg

Thailand grants visa extensions for foreigners

BANGKOK, July 21 -- Thailand today approved automatic visa extension for foreigners stranded in the kingdom following travel restrictions, to September 26.

Deputy Government Spokeswoman, Traisuree Taisaranakul, said a cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister General Prayuth Chan o-cha today approved the third automatic visa extension.

“The mandatory 90-day reporting for foreigners residing in Thailand is also suspended,” she said at a press conference here today.

To contain the COVID-19 outbreak, Thailand declared a state of emergency since March 26. It has temporarily closed its borders and banned entry to foreigners, except diplomats and work permit holders.

And from April 4, Thailand extended the ban to include all international passenger flights.

Since then, foreigners stranded in Thailand flocked to immigration offices nationwide to seek visa extension.

To curb COVID-19 outbreak and avoid mass gathering at immigration offices in the kingdom, the Thai government  has granted automatic visa extensions from April 8.

Meanwhile, Thailand has reported five new COVID-19 cases – all Thai nationals who returned from abroad, and zero fatalities over the last 24 hours, bringing the tally to 3,255 with 58 fatalities.

--BERNAMA

• Thumbs Up 1

Aye, you'd wonder at that wouldn't you.

Thailand, Vietnam, South Korea etc, places like that who are good at wearing the masks, understand the benefit of it.

Them then getting a handle on the virus far, far better than say the likes of the US. 

Obviously just a coincidence. 

• Thumbs Up 3

You got to love this stuff.....

So, they have millions of unemployed, and people begging for food, but they gonna bring in 100k foreign workers from Cambodia, Burma, Laos ?

And of course as their future employers is not going to pay for a "standard" quarantine, they'll have a light one. 4 person per room ...

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1955703/thousands-of-foreigners-to-be-allowed-entry

6 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

You got to love this stuff.....

So, they have millions of unemployed, and people begging for food, but they gonna bring in 100k foreign workers from Cambodia, Burma, Laos ?

And of course as their future employers is not going to pay for a "standard" quarantine, they'll have a light one. 4 person per room ...

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1955703/thousands-of-foreigners-to-be-allowed-entry

These migrant workers in the construction industry mostly work on new condos and hotels in the tourist areas. There were too many of these things sprouting up even before the pandemic, who in their right mind would want to build more of them now? The Thai government is already in a deep hole but it seems it wants to keep on digging, lol.

4 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

These migrant workers in the construction industry mostly work on new condos and hotels in the tourist areas. There were too many of these things sprouting up even before the pandemic, who in their right mind would want to build more of them now? The Thai government is already in a deep hole but it seems it wants to keep on digging, lol.

Worst is the government encourages it.... instead of trying to get their own citizens fill these jobs. 

But hey, thats another subject, and probably a taboo one.

10 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

Don't know how reliable the source, but if some of the claims made in this article are true, they are depressing atm. 

Thailand’s tourist magnets deserted and desperate

Deserted Tourist Magnets

The islands including Samui and Phuket seem to have been much worse affected. Maybe Bangkok and Pattaya are fareing slightly better due to having larger expat communities. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

Don't know how reliable the source, but if some of the claims made in this article are true, they are depressing atm. 

Thailand’s tourist magnets deserted and desperate

Deserted Tourist Magnets

A very harsh and depressing read. I just wonder what the suicide rate is and how many deaths by other health reasons have happened in the time that Covid made it's presence felt in Thailand.

Seems the cure is worse than the disease itself. Nearly 70 million and a microscopic number who have died.

A typical holiday weekend might see more death on Thai roadways.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/22/2020 at 1:09 AM, Krapow said:

Aye, you'd wonder at that wouldn't you.

Thailand, Vietnam, South Korea etc, places like that who are good at wearing the masks, understand the benefit of it.

Them then getting a handle on the virus far, far better than say the likes of the US. 

Obviously just a coincidence. 

Uk 4th  after  Belgium ,  San Marino and Andorra  in terms deaths per million population...better analogy would be "the likes of the UK"

Usa 11th

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Edited by Ivan the terrible

On 7/21/2020 at 9:39 PM, tko said:

I've been doing my 90 day reports online anyway.  They're approved immediately and I won't have to worry that I'm not up to date when the amnesties end.

Me too as I am now a believer! 😛

Halleluja.

Done it twice now and neither time were they approved immediately. The second time managed to get the software to go through at the first attempt but 3 days for approval to be confirmed which is neither here or there.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Smooth said:

A very harsh and depressing read. I just wonder what the suicide rate is and how many deaths by other health reasons have happened in the time that Covid made it's presence felt in Thailand.

Seems the cure is worse than the disease itself. Nearly 70 million and a microscopic number who have died.

A typical holiday weekend might see more death on Thai roadways.

I think that the weekend the alcohol ban was lifted that is exactly what happened. More total deaths on the road than the total deaths from Covid19.

When I am up in Mae Sot we all have to wear a mask to enter the shopping centers and even 7-Elevens. However, outside of going shopping virtually nobody wears a mask any more due to the fact that the province only ever had two cases (both visitors from Pattaya) and none since March.

My recent visit to Bangsaray/Pattaya I saw no social distancing in Bars and absolutely nobody wearing a mask inside. It was confirmed that the BiB in Walking Street were making on the spot "fines" of 1,000 baht to non-wearers. I found that out AFTER I had nodded to plod sitting on his motorbike across the entrance to WS and he must have appreciated the gesture as I passed sans mask.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

More details on the latest (and final?) visa extension.

Evil

graceperiod.jpg

Well if they are saying that you must have a medical reason to stay, or a supporting letter from the embassy, you would certainly imagine it is the last extension of the visa amnesty.

32 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Well if they are saying that you must have a medical reason to stay, or a supporting letter from the embassy, you would certainly imagine it is the last extension of the visa amnesty.

It certainly appears to be the INTENTION of the Thai authorities to make this the last COVID-related extension for those on short-stay visas.  However, the authorities could always revise their decision again if circumstances make it too difficult to administer.   I doubt many tourists are still "trapped" in Thailand because of flight restrictions.  Some are, to be sure, but not many.  The majority with expired visas are staying because they want to be in LOS.  Whether they will make plans to leave Thailand of their own accord in the next two months remains to be seen.  What will happen if hundreds of "hangers-on" flood the immigration offices on Sept. 25th?

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

12 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

It certainly appears to be the INTENTION of the Thai authorities to make this the last COVID-related extension for those on short-stay visas.  However, the authorities could always revise their decision again if circumstances make it too difficult to administer.   I doubt many tourists are still "trapped" in Thailand because of flight restrictions.  Some are, to be sure, but not many.  The majority with expired visas are staying because they want to be in LOS.  Whether they will make plans to leave Thailand of their own accord in the next two months remains to be seen.  What will happen if hundreds of "hangers-on" flood the immigration offices on Sept. 25th?

Evil

If you read the first part of the announcement, it says 'prepare for departing' and gives a couple of scenarios in which they will give 30 day extensions. They have been charitable enough, the majority of those still there are just exploiting a loophole, the Thais aren't stupid, they know that. Anybody that thinks they can turn up on the 25th of September and say that they can't get a flight home might be in for a shock.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just a question for those who know more about immigration than I do........

Will expats who are staying in Thailand who are married to Thais and have children etc be affected in any way as a result of recent changes? Will it affect them if the chose to go home and then return, apart from the obvious quarantine rules on re entry that currently apply ?

Is any of this seen as a way of reducing the number of expats, retirees etc?

36 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Just a question for those who know more about immigration than I do........

Will expats who are staying in Thailand who are married to Thais and have children etc be affected in any way as a result of recent changes? Will it affect them if the chose to go home and then return, apart from the obvious quarantine rules on re entry that currently apply ?

Is any of this seen as a way of reducing the number of expats, retirees etc?

I can't see how it would. 

Those on long term visas can stay provided they meet the same requirements they have always needed to meet. 

It will be a bollocks for those guys like the offshore workers who fly in and out every other month. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

I can't see how it would. 

Those on long term visas can stay provided they meet the same requirements they have always needed to meet. 

It will be a bollocks for those guys like the offshore workers who fly in and out every other month. 

It will make a big difference to me if I wish to visit my family in the UK under the current returning requirements.

The only plus is that having a Thai wife I have a definite right to return.

The downsides are not inconsiderable:

1. On return I will have to pay 40 - 60K for my two week quarantine in one of their designated hotels. That is more than my last return BA flight.

2. I will need to obtain a "fit to fly" certificate from a Doctor within a couple of days of flying. That will not be easy in the UK although I suppose possible if one can get one on a "Private" basis at a price.

3. A Covid19 insurance certificate.