COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

3 hours ago, Bazle said:

What would you advise them to do?

Not sure where my post went Bazle, if it was deleted by a Mod then it's usually polite to say why.

I think (my opinion only mate) a start might be to perhaps instead of sitting enjoying the international attention at being in the top 5 Countries dealing with C-19, they actually start looking at rebuilding the economy and allow the hospitals to "run hot", rather than jumping with fear every time there is a case and then enforcing draconian measures. Sadly this is not going away anytime soon, and even if a vaccine is rolled out, getting it distributed will also take a lot of time. A relatively small outbreak needs a relatively moderate yet robust response, deal with it locally rather than nationally. As I said, just my opinion chap 🙂

Oddly it also seems that Asians are more susceptible to c-19 in the UK at least ( or BAME to give it the "woke" title), the numbers are relatively high in comparison. People still don't know why.

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Butch said:

Not sure where my post went Bazle, if it was deleted by a Mod then it's usually polite to say why.

Your comment was in a different thread, but I didn't want to take that off-course so quoted it here.

I tend to agree with your comments. I think countries like Thailand and NZ are going to have to come to terms with having the virus and keeping it contained, rather than having zero cases. It will take the governments and peoples a while to accept that though.

It seems the Thai government might be showing some cracks - https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1963307/safe-and-sealed-plan-brings-hope-for-inbound-tourism - although these proposals won't help Europeans and Americans. I guess they are trying to find a way of letting certain Chinese and Korean groups back into the country.

• Like 1

Thailand delays travel bubble plans

image.gif
Copyright: EPA
Image caption: Hotels in Thailand reopened last month, but foreign tourists have yet to return

As a nation dependent on tourism, Thailand had hoped to form travel bubbles with a select number of territories to help revitalise its struggling economy.

But now the government has been forced to shelve the plan amid a rising number of cases in parts of Asia, Reuters news agency reports.

The move, which was announced in June, would have allowed travellers from countries with low infection rates to enter Thailand without being forced to quarantine.

"Japan, Hong Kong and South Korea were among those considered because those areas had a low number of cases, but now they were in double-digits sodiscussions were put on hold," Thailand's coronavirus taskforce spokesman told Reuters.

Thailand itself has recorded just 3,300 cases of coronavirus and has gone 10 weeks without cases of local infection.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Woaw, government is doing a great job ..... of suppressing news 

WTH, not ONE single case in 10 weeks in the whole country 😂😂😂😂😂😆😆😆

Give it a break, Pierre, you're just coming across as feeble-minded now.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Woaw, government is doing a great job ..... of suppressing news 

WTH, not ONE single case in 10 weeks in the whole country 😂😂😂😂😂😆😆😆

That's not what it said though, is it ...

24 minutes ago, lazarus said:

No foreigners allowed...Bangkok Midnight Marathon

117254205_10158106092086154_455772903174933419_n.jpg

source: A. MacGregor Marshall

You're behind... 

It's already allowed now. 

"

The organizers of the Bangkok Midnight Marathon have come out again to apologize “for any misunderstanding”. They say they will now allow expat runners to take part in the race. They will be allowed to register from Thursday 13th August. But there is one catch. The early bird registration is only open from today until Monday. So foreigners will have to pay the full amount if they want to take part in the 21K race.

-------------------------------------------
Dear Expat Runners,
We would like to confirm that the registration for Expat Runners will be open on Thursday 13th August 2020. The registration details will be shared on Monday 10th August 2020. Once again, we do apologize for any misunderstanding and are sincerely sorry to everyone we might have offended.

Yours sincerely,
Bangkok Midnight Marathon Team
 -------------------------------------------" 

1 minute ago, Esco said:

You're behind... 

It's already allowed now. 

"

The organizers of the Bangkok Midnight Marathon have come out again to apologize “for any misunderstanding”. They say they will now allow expat runners to take part in the race. They will be allowed to register from Thursday 13th August. But there is one catch. The early bird registration is only open from today until Monday. So foreigners will have to pay the full amount if they want to take part in the 21K race.

-------------------------------------------
Dear Expat Runners,
We would like to confirm that the registration for Expat Runners will be open on Thursday 13th August 2020. The registration details will be shared on Monday 10th August 2020. Once again, we do apologize for any misunderstanding and are sincerely sorry to everyone we might have offended.

Yours sincerely,
Bangkok Midnight Marathon Team
 -------------------------------------------" 

well...that's special  👍

Thailand is unlikely to reopen its borders to international tourists before the end of the year – the prediction from a deputy governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand.

Speaking at yet another webinar, this time hosted by Mekong Tourism and TravelMole, the deputy governor for international marketing at TAT, Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya, noted that there has been “no talk of a timeline issued for reopening the country to inbound or outbound leisure travel during weekly Covid-19 national meetings”.

He spoke of the Thai government’s “very, very cautious” approach to reopening borders and said he doesn’t expect Thailand to welcome tourists until at least 2021.

“I see no signal from the government that the country will open this year. That’s putting lot of pressure on the tourism industry. The Christmas period, usually the high season, is in jeopardy and I’m looking horribly even to Chinese New Year in February, which is an iffy proposition at best now. Unfortunately, this is not a rosy picture.”

Discussions about the creation of travel bubbles have also stalled.

“Last month, there was talk about forming travel bubbles. That talk has not continued so far because of outbreaks in many of the countries we were hoping to get tourists from, including Vietnam.”

Meanwhile the list of groups allowed back into Thailand, under strict health measures, has been expanded from diplomats and UN officials, to business people, investors who have an agreement with the government, film crews, some migrant workers, exhibition personnel and the holders of Thailand Elite visas.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/thailands-international-borders-not-re-opening-for-tourists-until-2021-tat

29 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

Some are waiting for the other shoe to drop as to why Thailand was not hit hard. Some think their hiding something. Newsflash: They're not!

Accept the fact that they skirted the brunt of the virus and be happy about it. 

Totalitarian governments using draconian measures seem to be able to hold the line better (in some cases).
Just restrict what everyone can do and arrest them if they don't submit.

Also island counties (e.g., NZ, Taiwan). Much easier to control border access.

Man, it's going to be an uphill battle to get back into Thailand anything soon.

My next chance won't be until next June when my kid's school year ends. Hope the COVID-19 world is moving forward by then...

. . .

Thailand must rethink its quarantine

Op-Ed from the Bangkok Post...

"...Early last month, the headlines and hearsay generated by Egyptian aircrew who flew into U-Tapao International Airport in Rayong and their subsequent behaviour in the town, with one infection traced, deepened the suspicion of foreign visitors spreading the virus even though the lab tests gave negative results. The authorities in Rayong had to trace all residents believed to come into contact with the Egyptians or who visited the same shopping mall. As it turned out, none were infected. At the time, the fear of the virus spreading reached near hysteria with calls for the government to pay compensation for lost income during the temporary lockdown in Rayong and to bar all foreign visitors. Lest we forget, in late February when South Korea was hard hit by the coronavirus, there was a false alarm, blaming the influx of Thai workers coming home for being possible virus spreaders. In reality, they simply wanted to take advantage of the amnesty granted by the Korean government...

...Thailand should also learn from Vietnam, Germany, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea and Singapore that opening up the country carries some risks -- namely new infections no matter how efficient the preventive measures are -- but it is essential to kickstart the country's economic recovery in the "new normal" era. Public understanding of this is essential, otherwise, the future is bleak."

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/1966175/thailand-must-rethink-its-quarantine

. . .

This is what I want to see.....

62906cf0037a51b6556257afe2143115.jpg

I went for an hour's stroll down Jomtien Beach yesterday afternoon, the area to the south around Soi Wat Bun and Chaiyapruek. It was packed out, as you'd expect on a public holiday, but there were very few farangs around, in an hour I saw maybe a dozen in total. I was taking a daily walk down this way back in April and May when they closed the swimming pools, and there were a lot of farangs around back then. Maybe they just didn't feel like going out yesterday, but I suspect quite a lot of them might have finally gone back home.

Another interesting point was that life had almost returned to normal. There was zero attempt at social distancing, and only around 10% of people had face masks on, many of them food vendors. Beer was also being sold openly on the beach, when I thought it was still prohibited. Not a cop in sight, though, so it must all be fine with the authorities, whereas a few months ago you had dozens of them on scooters whizzing up and down Beach Road telling off farangs who had pulled down their face masks to breathe the sea air.

After NZ and Vietnam, this all just seems to be asking for trouble. At the moment, though, I got the impression that the Thais, at least those not dependent on the tourist industry, are enjoying having their country back.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/13/2020 at 5:17 AM, Toy Boy said:

After NZ and Vietnam, this all just seems to be asking for trouble. At the moment, though, I got the impression that the Thais, at least those not dependent on the tourist industry, are enjoying having their country back.

I am getting the impression that this is exactly what the Generals want. Thailand for Thais and no foreign interference.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Jambo said:

When there is no evidence of ANY internal cases of Covid 19 in Thailand for many weeks does it make any sense in wearing a facemask? Who are you going to catch it from?

What about the Japanese and Malaysian folks who returned from Thailand and tested positive for COVID-19? 

The proof is in the testing, or lack thereof. 

Spoke to tilac up in Chaiyaphum yesterday.  She wanted to show off her nice new car that she's bought with a hefty bank loan. She was planning on coming back to Patts soon to find someone to "subsidise" her repayments.  (I think she was hoping I'd be back next month as usual in Sept to "help out".)  She had absolutely no idea that foreign tourists are not allowed into Thailand at the moment or for the forseeable future. That might create a bit of a financial problem for her!!  It seems that people up there in darkest Issan are out of touch with the rest of Thailand and just believe that everything is "back to normal" throughout the country.   (No, I don't sponsor.  Her problem!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Surprised 1

3 hours ago, karon steve said:

I am getting the impression that this is exactly what the Generals want. Thailand for Thais and no foreign interference.

They make a lot of money from tourism. But they know who provides their biggest rice boats.

It's the cultists who want TH only for TH people...but, only the "good" people.

On 8/13/2020 at 4:17 PM, Toy Boy said:

Nz covid free status went to hell in a handbag last week 

3 family members have it and just got back from a weekend away to a few other cities and tourist spots ( unknown how they got it at thus stage) but looking at the possibility that it came via a cool store in person was working in has regular air shipment from NSW and Victoria in aussie

26 minutes ago, Bazle said:

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/covid-19-case-detected-outside-state-quarantine-first-in

A non-quarantine case:

"Medical authorities in Samut Prakan, just southeast of Bangkok, say a Thai man tested positive for Covid-19 at a hospital there today."

Not entirely... 

the man, a returnee from abroad, had completed his mandatory 14 day quarantine and was considered healthy at the time he was released.