COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

My goodness...

Main media and FB has done a good job maling everybody scared ....

FFS, get on with your life boys ! 

That's what Horizondave is trying to do, if you read his post, but whether or not the Thai government will still require ASQ in mid-2021 is hardly something that he has control over. [:rolleyes:]

Edited by Toy Boy

On 11/25/2020 at 5:47 PM, Bazle said:

I agree, but I did not know it was now certain that any of the 3 vaccines only suppresses the symptoms. I thought that was still TBD.

Do you have a source, please?

I understood this was the case for RNA vaccines like the Pfizer one, whereas adenoviral ones (Oxford) work differently and kill the virus.  I stand to be corrected, but that's how I've understood articles I've read.

1 hour ago, KWA said:

I understood this was the case for RNA vaccines like the Pfizer one, whereas adenoviral ones (Oxford) work differently and kill the virus.  I stand to be corrected, but that's how I've understood articles I've read.

The mRNA vaccines (Moderna, Pfizer) and the viral vector vaccines (Oxford) work in a similar manner. They all deliver the RNA for the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein gene into host cells. The mRNA vaccines by direct injection, the viral vector vaccines by piggybacking the gene into the DNA of another virus which then infects the host cell.

The host cells then take the gene and set to making the spike protein which elicits an immune response (makes antibodies) against the spike protein. Thus if the spike protein is encountered attached to a real virus, the virus will be dealt with.

This differs from protein based vaccines where the spike protein is manufactured external to the host and just the spike protein is injected or inactivated virus vaccines where virus are "bred" in cell culture, inactivated (dosed with formaldehyde) and the whole inactivated virus is injected.

In ALL cased the desire for the vaccine is to create an antibody response against the spike protein, no vaccine directly acts against the virus.

• Great Info 1

4 hours ago, KWA said:

I think what you are saying ties in with this article, but even there they say it's not yet known if the AZ/Oxford one will stop transmission.

https://www.wired.com/story/does-the-astrazeneca-vaccine-also-stop-covid-transmission/

This week’s entrant, a vaccine from the drug company AstraZeneca and researchers at Oxford University, came with tantalizing hints of a particular capability that would, if it bears out, make a huge difference in fighting the pandemic.

The makers of the two other vaccines in play have reported only evidence that their drugs keep people from getting sick—which is to say, fewer vaccinated people have moderate to severe symptoms and test positive for infection. The vaccines do this very well.

But researchers working on the AstraZeneca version said they also had signs of reduced transmission, of people spreading the disease from one person to another. The AstraZeneca results have some perplexing elements, for sure, but if the transmission thing holds up, it’s going to matter. A lot.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 3:52 AM, Thai Spice said:

My goodness...

Main media and FB has done a good job maling everybody scared ....

FFS, get on with your life boys ! 

I think you'll find most people want to get on with their lives but are being restricted by Governments around the world. I'd love to be heading home to Thailand on the 10th December and get on with my life but I can't. I know many guys in the same situation who want to get on with their lives but can't. I'm sure you'd like to be spending Christmas with your family but like many you can't. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Murchie said:

I think you'll find most people want to get on with their lives but are being restricted by Governments around the world. I'd love to be heading home to Thailand on the 10th December and get on with my life but I can't. I know many guys in the same situation who want to get on with their lives but can't. I'm sure you'd like to be spending Christmas with your family but like many you can't. 

Have you tried for the STV? You may meet the criteria. 

If not, suppose you're heading back to Scotland? 

1 minute ago, Esco said:

Have you tried for the STV? You may meet the criteria. 

If not, suppose you're heading back to Scotland? 

Unfortunately I don't meet the criteria for the STV. Thai embassy in Kuwait aren't issuing the now available single entry visa which i believe some countries are issuing. 

Certainly looking like Scotland for Christmas and New Year. Although it'll be good to see family and friends I'd much rather be at home.

12 hours ago, Murchie said:

Murchie, 

Fully agree with the general meaning of your post.

But still, this thing is not gonna change my way of thinking. This will not be the first Christmas I spend alone or far away from my family. As an experienced expat I am sure you know the feeling.

The number of Xmas, N.Y. and birthdays that I spend alone, at sea, or on shift in some shithole..... 

It has just been announced that there are SIX more #COVID19 cases after Thai nationals sneaked across the Burmese-Thai border without entering quarantine. This brings the total to TEN known cases. The latest cases are in: Phayao, Bangkok, Ratchaburi, Phichit & two in Chiang Mai.

Bar girls spreading the plague in Thailand...oh noooo.... 😱

More Covid cases from Tachilek, some in Bangkok

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2028967/more-covid-cases-from-tachilek-some-in-bangkok

Six more Thai women who sneaked back home through natural passages from Myanmar's Tachilek town to Chiang Rai province late last month had Covid-19 and some of them travelled Bangkok and some provinces, according to health authorities...

He said the 10 women worked at entertainment places in Tachilek and they had no social responsibility. They dodged quarantine and caused the state to conduct costly efforts to test many people in contact with them to control the disease.

9 hours ago, lazarus said:

They dodged quarantine and caused the state to conduct costly efforts to test many people in contact with them to control the disease.

Well that's them done for. It's one thing to try and deliberately infect hundreds of people with the virus, but we all make mistakes so go and ask the priest for forgiveness. It's a much worse sin, though, to cost the government a few thousand Baht, there can be no forgiving that, send them to the eternal fires, lol.

24 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

I'm hoping that with people due to receive the new vaccine anyday now, it should be a case that if you can prove vaccination you are allowed to enter Thailand without quarantine or restrictions, same for any country really. 

That would require a lot of cooperation and bilateral agreements.

Ain't gonna happen in 2 or 3 months !

37 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

I'm hoping that with people due to receive the new vaccine anyday now, it should be a case that if you can prove vaccination you are allowed to enter Thailand without quarantine or restrictions, same for any country really. 

I am wondering whether they will issue a certificate or even a vaccine card. Otherwise how will people be able to show reasonable proof on entry to Thailand or at the airport of departure? They should have some sort of database. 

With the flu jab, apart from GP records, there is no evidence of having the vaccine. 

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

I am wondering whether they will issue a certificate or even a vaccine card. Otherwise how will people be able to show reasonable proof on entry to Thailand or at the airport of departure? They should have some sort of database. 

With the flu jab, apart from GP records, there is no evidence of having the vaccine. 

If you were a seasoned expat, you would know it exists since 50 years.

Google "international vacination booklet" or "carnet de vaccination international"

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

That would require a lot of cooperation and bilateral agreements.

Ain't gonna happen in 2 or 3 months !

Not necessarily. 

Similar to covid testing it could be a case of showing proof of vaccination. 

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

There is going to be some sort of proof as this destroying the global economy, and if the vaccine is the cure, surely you will need proof you had it.

A simple thing to do would be a similar system to how covid testing in the UK works. Get the vaccine and recieve an email from NHS provider etc. 

There is absolutely no reason why somebody who has proof of vaccination should be denied entry to a country, or subjected to quarantining. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

If you were a seasoned expat, you would know it exists since 50 years.

Google "international vacination booklet" or "carnet de vaccination international"

I've had a yellow booklet ever since I first went to the tropics 15 years ago and got my vaccinations. Not sure its the same in the UK? I've always had travel insurance as well which doesn't seem to be the norm in the UK either. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Not necessarily. 

There is going to be some sort of proof as this destroying the global economy, and if the vaccine is the cure, surely you will need proof you had it.

A simple thing to do would be a similar system to how covid testing in the UK works. Get the vaccine and recieve an email from NHS provider etc. 

There is absolutely no reason why somebody who has proof of vaccination should be denied entry to a country, or subjected to quarantining. 

It's simples, currently you need a fit to fly cert from your doctor which states you are covid free and healthy. All you need is for him to declare you are vacinaated.

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1

Just now, dcfc2007 said:

Not necessarily. 

If the vaccine doesn't stop you from getting the virus but just helps you cope with it better than you may still be able to spread it and the Thai government may still insist on quarantine until the entire Thai population has had the vaccine themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, boydeste said:

It's simples, currently you need a fit to fly cert from your doctor which states you are covid free and healthy. All you need is for him to declare you are vacinaated.

Exactly, in fact you probably won't even have to see the doctor. Go to some mass vaccination centre, check in on the app, get vaccinated and get your email proof. Bobs your uncle, fanny is your aunt. 

1 minute ago, Esco said:

If the vaccine doesn't stop you from getting the virus but just helps you cope with it better than you may still be able to spread it and the Thai government may still insist on quarantine until the entire Thai population has had the vaccine themselves. 

What the f**k is the point of the vaccine if it doesn't stop people from catching Covid. We truly are living in the dumbest time in human history. 

3 minutes ago, Esco said:

I've had a yellow booklet ever since I first went to the tropics 15 years ago and got my vaccinations. Not sure its the same in the UK? I've always had travel insurance as well which doesn't seem to be the norm in the UK either. 

Only vaccination you currently need proof of is yellow fever for some African countries ( I believe ) ... 

most travellers from U.K. have travel insurance, just a few numpties that don't bother ...

pretty sure if proof of a Covid vaccination is required they will move to an electronic version