COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

1 hour ago, KWA said:

You could have found these and similar articles for yourself without throwing your toys out.

https://theconversation.com/federal-government-gets-private-hospital-resources-for-covid-19-fight-in-exchange-for-funding-support-135207

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/mar/31/federal-government-pay-half-integrate-private-public-hospitals-covid-19-response

As regards hospitals/states competing against each other for a bigger slice of the government pie, it's not likely to be advertised as they'd rightly be berated.  As above though, it'd be naive in the extreme to think otherwise.

You should really read and understand what you are posting.

When were those articles dated?

31st March, about the time Australia's first wave daily case load peaked at 349 cases/day. A month later it was 13 cases/day.

At the same time Italy was recording over 5,000 cases per day, France almost the same. It was planning and also required individual agreements with each private hospital. How many of those agreements were inked?

And what services would a private hospital provide?

Private hospitals would support the Covid-19 response through activities such as providing care for public patients, carrying out category 1 elective surgery, and providing wards and theatres to expand ICU capacity.

Private hospitals might also provide accommodation for quarantine and isolation cases where safety procedures are put in place, including passengers from cruise ships, according to a statement issued by Hunt.

Hunt wrote that the agreement was only to ensure the viability of the sector, and its purpose was not to generate profit or to assist with loan or debt repayment. The viability guarantee would be conditional on the hospitals agreeing to open their books to show government funding was only being used for operational costs.

The hospital might provide quarantine and isolation facilities, what is done is someone has been in close contact, no mention of treatment, no mention of actual Covid-19 patients.

And of course, no mention at all that private hospitals would be paid a bounty for taking in Covid-19 patients which is what you are trying to claim.

Sorry, failed again!

3 minutes ago, fygjam said:

And of course, no mention at all that private hospitals would be paid a bounty for taking in Covid-19 patients which is what you are trying to claim.

Sorry, failed again!

My claim was that both public and private hospitals were paid government (public) money in the fight against Covid, and that statistics could be manipulated to maximise the amount of benefit received.  These articles reinforce that claim was accurate in Australia, even though I had not specifically mentioned them.

If you are too blinkered to see that I'm sure others aren't, and will leave it at that.

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

Read the paper including the references.

The "publicly available data" came from the National Center for Health Statistics (I wonder what they do), which is part of the CDC.

Where would you like the data to come from?

Something like the births and deaths registration office or whatever it's called in the Us.

19 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Something like the births and deaths registration office or whatever it's called in the Us.

In case you didn't realize it, the US is comprised of 50 states. Each state maintains it's own birth, deaths and marriages registry.

The CDC maintains the national database of deaths through the National Center for Health Statistics.. They probably record the stats on cause of death as well. No doubt they receive notifications from the various state (or county?) registrars.

The Underlying Cause of Death database contains mortality and population counts for all U.S. counties. Data are based on death certificates for U.S. residents. Each death certificate identifies a single underlying cause of death and demographic data.

Note, like other countries, a death certificate can only identify a single cause of death. You can't apportion death like 10% here, 20% there.

Feel free to do your own calculations for all 50 states.

2 minutes ago, fygjam said:

In case you didn't realize it, the US is comprised of 50 states. Each state maintains it's own birth, deaths and marriages registry.

Feel free to do your own calculations for all 50 states.

That's exactly what I said in my first post....

But whatever.

No point speaking with you....

Come on to the thread to read about Covid in Thailand, only to read the same never-ending round and round shite from the same people who will never change their stance/view anyway, and it's all about Australia or the US.

That's why i try to keep off or don't post on the other Covid thread. 

Any on topic update re Thailand, perchance?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Come on to the thread to read about Covid in Thailand, only to read the same never-ending round and round shite from the same people who will never change their stance/view anyway, and it's all about Australia or the US.

You are correct and I wish it were otherwise.

But if one sees bullshit being posted even if it's in the wrong thread does one let it go or call it out?

Me, I'll call it out and the only logical place to call it out is in the thread where the bullshit was originally posted.

50 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Here you go mate.

Ive been carefully studying my garden and haven't spotted 1 covid yet, but I'll keep looking. 

16085482156463716346400754769565.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

TH gov'mint parsing words to hedge their bets..?

GOV’T SPOKESMAN SAYS CASE SPIKES DON’T COUNT AS ‘SECOND WAVE’

...“We don’t use the term ‘second wave’ or ‘a new phase’ because our academic team has not yet identified [the current situation] as such,” he went on. “I’d like to confirm that the two outbreaks have no relations. This is a new outbreak.”

The spokesman, who is a doctor by trade, also insisted that the government is not enforcing a lockdown on the residential quarters of migrant workers in Samut Sakhon – even though security officers have sealed off the area and forbid any travel in or out.

“We don’t call it a lockdown. We use a new term, called loculated area, which means restricting them to stay in that area,” Taweesin said, adding that local officials are supplying the migrant workers with food and water.

Thai officialdom is notorious for playing down the scales of crises and masking them with euphemism, which in turn is routinely adopted uncritically by the national media. The Bangkok governor, for instance, famously insisted that rain floods in the capital were “water that awaited drainage” while a bloody crackdown on protesters in 2010 was termed as “a measure to ask for the [protest] area to reclaimed.”

Officials said on Sunday that they found 141 more cases linked to the country’s largest seafood market on top of Saturday’s tally of 548 cases. It was Thailand’s biggest daily spike, sending shockwaves through a country that has seen only a small number of infections over the past several months due to strict border and quarantine controls...

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/12/21/govt-spokesman-says-case-spikes-dont-count-as-second-wave/?fbclid=IwAR1nf6qTUEhu3ao00_0SvCfgoMMgy3uPSpw0QflXXkmixLstKYmja7M91mE

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bob lt said:

@lazarus Thank you for posting something related to Thailand, a subject severely lacking on this page.

Unfortunately, there was a tangential attempt to quantitatively TF that needed to be addressed.

Even more unfortunate there is now a backlash against migrant workers in Thailand. Already happening in Samut Sakhon...

And...the pundits are on it!

. . .

Outbreak highlights our complacency

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/2038583/outbreak-highlights-our-complacency

...The Mahachai-based central shrimp market where infections were detected was closed, along with a major Srimuang apartment block which was occupied mostly by migrants who often sleep many to a room but will have to stay put for the time being. Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothin, spokesman of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration argued that it's not a lockdown per se. Technically, it is now a "loculated area", he said, referencing a biological term meaning compartmentalised.

TV reports showed that the authorities had encircled the Srimuang apartment with barbed wire. Not a pleasant sight at all.

While acknowledging that forcing all those migrants to remain in such cramped conditions for any period of time may not be especially healthy for them, the spokesman downplayed concerns over the impact of such measures. He said most of the infected are asymptomatic and, as they are of working age, they are still young and strong, meaning they should be able to cope with the virus. Meanwhile, Thais in the area can still travel freely if they provide details to the authorities. Such double standards are absurd when the virus itself doesn't discriminates against any nationality.

...Whatever it is, the new Samut Sakhon infections have effectively caused a fresh wave of xenophobia among Thais. Almost everyone talking about the pandemic is blaming the migrants who "brought in the virus".

10 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Almost everyone talking about the pandemic is blaming the migrants who "brought in the virus".

Well the poms can blame the Thais for some of the mutations in the latest variant currently sweeping the south of England (VUI-202012/01).

“At least two of the mutations in this new variant, N501Y (since at least Apr 2020 in Brazil) and 69- 70del (since at least Jan/Feb 2020 in Thailand/Germany) were already circulating globally prior to combining into this new variant.

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-brief-summary-of-nervtag-opinion-from-the-nervtag-meeting-on-sars-cov-2-variant-under-investigation-vui-202012-01/

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Quite a few people I know are already starting to stockpile alcohol waiting for another full lockdown 

I was in Makro at 6:00 PM on Sunday when they started selling booze again after the elections. Got a month's supply to go with the month that I keep here since the April booze ban. There were maybe a dozen farangs doing the same thing but no Thais, so the locals evidently don't think there'll be a problem before NYE.

4 hours ago, Esco said:

The NYE countdown in Pattaya officially canceled today. 

1 hour ago, mrcharliemofo said:

Any link to that because I've had a quick look and can't see it anywhere.

Had a look too and couldn't find anything. @Esco source?

Edited to add: Did find this Pattaya Mail article from today.

Chonburi governor bans crowd gatherings to prevent Covid-19 spread

Last line in the article:

Cancellation of the Pattaya Countdown, which was scheduled to take place at Bali Hai Pier between Dec 29 and 31, is yet to be confirmed by the Pattaya City Hall.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

Any link to that because I've had a quick look and can't see it anywhere.

4 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Had a look too and couldn't find anything. @Esco source?

Edited to add: Did find this Pattaya Mail article from today.

Chonburi governor bans crowd gatherings to prevent Covid-19 spread

Last line in the article:

Cancellation of the Pattaya Countdown, which was scheduled to take place at Bali Hai Pier between Dec 29 and 31, is yet to be confirmed by the Pattaya City Hall.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1197881-pattayasri-racha-new-year-countdown-cancelled/

• Thumbs Up 2

New article on Pattaya News

Pattaya New Year Countdown & Music Festival canceled

Pattaya on Tuesday confirmed that a Chonburi provincial order banning all large public gatherings in the eastern province had forced the cancelation of the three-day Pattaya New Year Countdown Music Festival along with all other countdown events.

Gov. Pakarathorn Thienchai’s order bans crowded gathering at temples, mosques, churches, and places previously set up for festive events. In addition to the Pattaya Countdown, the Koh Larn countdown and Huai Sukri Floating Market concert in Sriracha also now has been shelved.

• Great Info 1