COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

16 minutes ago, Painter said:

Even in your slightly mao state, you are correct!

Despite it being said by genuine experts and Facebook experts time and time again, I am always amazed by the number of people who don't, or choose not to, understand this.

From The Lancet paper

Safety and efficacy of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine (AZD1222) against SARS-CoV-2: an interim analysis of four randomised controlled trials in Brazil, South Africa, and the UK

published 8th December, 2020.

68 of 5807 people who received the Oxford vaccine (1.2%) returned positive swabs to SARS-CoV-2 post vaccination.

This compares to 153 of 5829 people who were in the control group (2.6%).

So vaccination may reduce the incidence of infection but does not eliminate it.

10 minutes ago, fygjam said:

From The Lancet paper

Safety and efficacy of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine (AZD1222) against SARS-CoV-2: an interim analysis of four randomised controlled trials in Brazil, South Africa, and the UK

published 8th December, 2020.

68 of 5807 people who received the Oxford vaccine (1.2%) returned positive swabs to SARS-CoV-2 post vaccination.

This compares to 153 of 5829 people who were in the control group (2.6%).

So vaccination may reduce the incidence of infection but does not eliminate it.

Maybe PCR tests are not the right way to assess their effectiveness against the virus? Just a thought.. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Esco said:

Maybe PCR tests are not the right way to assess their effectiveness against the virus? Just a thought.. 

The Lancet paper does not specifically mention a PCR test. They use the term nucleic acid amplification test or NAAT.

Whatever the test, they are looking for viral nucleic acid and where they find viral nucleic acid there is viral replication going on. i.e. there is a viral infection.

To determine if infectious virus particles are being produced requires a separate test. A plaque assay.

In a plaque assay, a culture of live cells is inoculated with material suspected of containing infectious virus (nasal swabs, saliva swabs etc) to see if plaques are formed indicating the presence of infectious virus. Conducted in a BSL3 or BSL4 lab because the process is replicating infectious virus.

7 hours ago, Smiler said:

Have I got this wrong?

I understood the vaccine doesn't actually stop you from catching the virus or for that matter passing it on. It helps the body fight the symptoms.

So if the above is correct I still can't see countries, for the foreseeable, opening their borders to travelers even if they have had the jab unless they provide a negative test before travel, or in the case of most SE Asia, doing 15 days quarantine.

I think it's too early to say if you are right or wrong .

UK Project Siren is going to monitor  vaccinated workers in hospitals for a year or so, that would give a more definitive answer. At present don't feel there is enough evidence, to disprove the idea that the vaccine doesn't stop you from catching the disease and passing it on.

Have heard a rumour though that Leo kills COVID stone dead🤔

Edited by Lemondropkid

19 hours ago, Smiler said:

Have I got this wrong?

I understood the vaccine doesn't actually stop you from catching the virus or for that matter passing it on. It helps the body fight the symptoms.

As others have said, that's how it seems to be, however the reduction in symptoms the vaccine brings means you'll be snottering and spraying a lower viral load so less likely to spread it around.

19 hours ago, Esco said:

Countries like Thailand probably won't open their borders until every citizen is vaccinated, and even then they may insist quarantine given the various strains out there, in which case you can write off 2021 already. 

I think everybody already has written off 2021.

Thailand has already stated it is not going to remove the quarantine period even when theThai population has been vaccinated.

No country in the world is going to vaccinate the whole of their respective populations. I have no idea what the average percentage would be and neither does any body else. Thailand's first batch maybe as low as 50% effective so don't hold your breath for them relaxing the rules and restrictions in the forseeable future. 

19 hours ago, Painter said:

Even in your slightly mao state, you are correct!

Despite it being said by genuine experts and Facebook experts time and time again, I am always amazed by the number of people who don't, or choose not to, understand this.

I hold my hand up and fully admit I did not understand that none of the vaccines will stop you catching Covid19 although I do recall reading that one could still pass it on even after vaccination. I thought the latter might be some short period after the vaccination before fully effective .

Are you SURE you are correct?

If so we are never going to see the end of world wide restrictions/lockdowns/quarantine periods. What good is a vaccination certificate if you can fly to another country and still potentially be able to infect members of that countries population?

World leaders are selling vaccination as the magic bullet to return everything back to normal. Is that just pie in the sky?

Edited by Jambo
piss por speling and punchuation

26 minutes ago, Jambo said:

If so we are never going to see the end of world wide restrictions/lockdowns/quarantine periods. What good is a vaccination certificate if you can fly to another country and still potentially be able to infect members of that countries population?

Maybe a vaccination certificate, combined with testing prior to take off and on arrival? Still going to be a pain though.

18 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Maybe a vaccination certificate, combined with testing prior to take off and on arrival? Still going to be a pain though.

Both worthless if you can still potentially still pass it on during your stay.

7 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Both worthless if you can still potentially still pass it on during your stay.

True.

Impossible  though to say how likely a scenario that is.  Unless Government's accept a level of risk, however minimal, the economic cost is easily going to outweigh the risk they'd be trying to mitigate.

So being optimistic, taking Thailand's ultra low cases rate, vaccination and testing will hopefully mean we can all get travelling again.

Vaccinations, a change in the way we interact with people etc will slowly see life come back to normal in the UK and further afield. 

They are still testing these vaccines but, yes, it appears that you could still pass on the disease.

In the UK the whole idea is to vaccinate the majority of the population (especially those who are the likely ones to be more than just asymptomatic) and that should have a marked effect on the strains on the NHS to a point that normal yearly vaccination (possible) will see an end to the pandemic and an NHS getting on with serving all those in need without falling over. 

The UK government is less interested in our desire to travel overseas but more to get life in the UK back to normal on the streets, in our business, education and homes.

I think our ability to travel overseas is more related to how other nations ease the pandemic in their own country to the point they can open their borders. 

Having a vaccination passport means nothing if the nation (such as Thailand) is still susceptible to being infected. Already today Thailand has become concerned that the Chinese vaccine is now only 50% effective when it was thought originally to be higher.

As somebody said it is likely that quarantine will still be around for some time with a possible need to still have a certificate of being covid free even if carrying a travel vaccine passport.

I won't be booking any flights overseas for a while but at some point there are places that will allow overseas travel without quarantine, not believing though that Thailand will be near the top of that list.

From Richard Barrow

URGENT: The Governor of Kanchanaburi has signed the order to close all hotels and resorts in the province. If they have guests at this moment, they are allowed to stay, but as soon as the last person has checked out, the hotel must close. 

I also read there is a call for this to happen elsewhere like in Pattaya. If the government orders hotels to close then employees can get financial aid. 

17 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

So being optimistic, taking Thailand's ultra low cases rate, vaccination and testing will hopefully mean we can all get travelling again.

I am sorry to say that is exactly the reasons Thailand may quite possibly NOT be lifting restrictions such as quarantine on arrival simply to maintain Thailand's relatively low case rate. They are already making noises about the efficacy of their initial supplies of Covid vaccine. Which, incidently, is hardly going to go very far.

Until the Thai government ( and the Thai population as a whole) accept the fact that world wide Covid is NEVER going to go away and that there will always be some positive cases from tourists they are going to maintain restrictions such as quarantine on arrival maybe for ever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

I am sorry to say that is exactly the reasons Thailand may quite possibly NOT be lifting restrictions such as quarantine on arrival simply to maintain Thailand's relatively low case rate. They are already making noises about the efficacy of their initial supplies of Covid vaccine. Which, incidently, is hardly going to go very far.

Until the Thai government ( and the Thai population as a whole) accept the fact that world wide Covid is NEVER going to go away and that there will always be some positive cases from tourists they are going to maintain restrictions such as quarantine on arrival maybe for ever.

OK that's interesting but depressing. 😞 Good to get insight from guys on the ground, even if it's not what I want to hear!

Going to have to re-plan my imaginary holidays🙂

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Jambo said:

I seem to remember you saying you wanted to get back to Scotland to see your kids and grandkids and that they're being messed about with flights here to see you ? Would you consider it worthwhile for you to fly back to see them and then you return here and do the quarantine ?

35 minutes ago, mrcharliemofo said:

I seem to remember you saying you wanted to get back to Scotland to see your kids and grandkids and that they're being messed about with flights here to see you ? Would you consider it worthwhile for you to fly back to see them and then you return here and do the quarantine ?

Absolutely but that is a world of difference from somebody who has two weeks holiday available and does not want to spend them isolated in a hotel he has to pay for and cannot leave.

My two daughters really want to come to Thailand to see me because they love visiting but neither can come if they have to go into quarantine on arrival. They have new dates in August for theoretical flights with KLM and are hoping they can make it this time but that is going to be out of the question unless the current restrictions are relaxed.

Alternatively I would go to visit them in the UK quarantine or not in either or both countries but I have worries I might not be able to get back to Thailand. 

9 hours ago, Stillearly said:

From Richard Barrow

URGENT: The Governor of Kanchanaburi has signed the order to close all hotels and resorts in the province. If they have guests at this moment, they are allowed to stay, but as soon as the last person has checked out, the hotel must close. 

I also read there is a call for this to happen elsewhere like in Pattaya. If the government orders hotels to close then employees can get financial aid. 

Kanchanaburi province has been ordered to immediately close hotels, resorts, and similar establishments from 14 January 2021. The order exempts long-term rental residences and establishments that have long-term lessees. These establishments can stay open until all tenants check out.
However, hotels and resorts that are local quarantine centers and are being used for the Government's COVID-19 prevention measures are an exception.
Hotels and resorts that still have guests must report the number of guests and their names to the district in order to proceed with the screening tests. Establishments must have prevention measures to reduce the spread of the virus.

138484829_3918911674798884_4000874211322915028_n.png

It looks like for the foreseeable future, any of the previous discussions on the best countries for holidays in SE Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Philippines) are going to need to include the local Covid restrictions as part of the equation.

For years I have read hundreds of posts concerning the best place to vacation in SE Asia, with metrics such as cost, crime issues, attractiveness and willingness of the ladies, quality and price of accommodations, food availability, etc.  Now we are definitely going to need to include any hassles, restrictions, and costs associated with Covid to any of these SE Asia destinations, when things start to open up again.

It is definitely going to change the calculations in some very severe ways, and the actions that the various SE Asian governments take will probably have long term effects on their tourist industries.

For me, as things shake out over the next year or two, I might have to start a spreadsheet to track the various costs and restrictions to enter and vacation in each of these countries.  I have always found that Thailand, for me, was the best destination, but in the future, who knows?

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, jersey said:

It looks like for the foreseeable future, any of the previous discussions on the best countries for holidays in SE Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Philippines) are going to need to include the local Covid restrictions as part of the equation.

For years I have read hundreds of posts concerning the best place to vacation in SE Asia, with metrics such as cost, crime issues, attractiveness and willingness of the ladies, quality and price of accommodations, food availability, etc.  Now we are definitely going to need to include any hassles, restrictions, and costs associated with Covid to any of these SE Asia destinations, when things start to open up again.

It is definitely going to change the calculations in some very severe ways, and the actions that the various SE Asian governments take will probably have long term effects on their tourist industries.

For me, as things shake out over the next year or two, I might have to start a spreadsheet to track the various costs and restrictions to enter and vacation in each of these countries.  I have always found that Thailand, for me, was the best destination, but in the future, who knows?

Spot on - as much as I want to go back to Thailand like most others on this board, the big question is going to be, will it be worth it when all of the potential hassles and expenses are figured in? I had already grown weary of waiting so long for the crappy exchange rate to improve before Covid came and was thinking of other destinations, many much closer to home as well - they will continue to attract more attention from me as time goes on... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

more hoops to jump around...

COVID-19 TEST WILL BE MANDATORY FOR ALL VISA EXTENSIONS

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/01/19/covid-19-test-result-will-be-mandatory-for-all-visa-extensions/

BANGKOK — A test for COVID-19 will soon be required for every foreigner who wishes to extend their stay in the kingdom, the immigration police said Monday.

Bureau spokesman Archayon Kraithong said the new measure will make it mandatory for foreigners to obtain a proof of negative coronavirus test before visiting the immigration to extend their visa.

He said the stringent rule will apply to every type of visa, regardless of how long the foreigner has stayed in the country.

“It will become effective after Jan. 24,” Maj. Gen. Archayon said by phone. “This is in accordance with the new ministerial regulation and will apply to all types of visa.”...

...The new rule will likely place further financial burden on expats residing in Thailand. A coronavirus test at the government-run Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute costs about 3,000 baht, but the price can go to 6,000 baht and even 8,000 baht at some hospitals...

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Haha 1

huh...?

Covid-19 tests are not required for visa extensions – Phuket Immigration

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/covid-19-tests-are-not-required-for-visa-extensions-phuket-immigration?fbclid=IwAR2fcuS-L1iJzZ-eVWvQo2cX05BCeThxSHO5EuZr44IAQTi2SxYpY3S4VJM

No… you don’t need a Covid-19 test to extend your visa or apply for a work permit, according to Phuket Immigration. While multiple Covid-19 tests are required for people arriving in Thailand and undergoing quarantine, foreigners who have been in the country do not need to be tested.

The local immigration deputy chief Nareuwat Putthawiro spoke with Phuket News, debunking some rumours that were shared on social media saying Covid-19 tests could soon be required when extending visas or applying for work permits.

“We do not require any medical documents for an application to renew a visa, because there are few foreigners’ movements outside Phuket. Most of them live and work in Phuket, and have done so before the new wave of Covid-19… So they do not have to worry about it. Everything is still the same.”...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, lazarus said:

more hoops to jump around...

COVID-19 TEST WILL BE MANDATORY FOR ALL VISA EXTENSIONS

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/01/19/covid-19-test-result-will-be-mandatory-for-all-visa-extensions/

BANGKOK — A test for COVID-19 will soon be required for every foreigner who wishes to extend their stay in the kingdom, the immigration police said Monday.

Bureau spokesman Archayon Kraithong said the new measure will make it mandatory for foreigners to obtain a proof of negative coronavirus test before visiting the immigration to extend their visa.

He said the stringent rule will apply to every type of visa, regardless of how long the foreigner has stayed in the country.

“It will become effective after Jan. 24,” Maj. Gen. Archayon said by phone. “This is in accordance with the new ministerial regulation and will apply to all types of visa.”...

...The new rule will likely place further financial burden on expats residing in Thailand. A coronavirus test at the government-run Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute costs about 3,000 baht, but the price can go to 6,000 baht and even 8,000 baht at some hospitals...

Fake news started by Sir Richard Barrow, or Lord Barrow of Patpong, or whatever we're supposed to call him now, lol.

Thai Immigration said they have no intention of doing this.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Fake news started by Sir Richard Barrow, or Lord Barrow of Patpong, or whatever we're supposed to call him now, lol.

Yep. Nope. Maybe. Not.

That's why I posted both articles.

TIT.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

IMMIGRATION BACKTRACKS ON PLAN TO REQUIRE COVID-19 TEST FOR VISA EXTENSIONS

BANGKOK — A spokesman for the immigration police on Tuesday walked back on his announcement that a negative COVID-19 test result will be mandatory for every foreigner who wishes to extend their stay in the kingdom.

Immigration bureau spokesman Archayon Kraithong previously said on Monday the new measure will be applied to “every type of visa,” regardless of how long the foreigner has stayed in the country.

But less than an hour after his remark was reported on Khaosod English – sparking an uproar among expats on social media – the spokesman reached back to say he was misinformed about the new policy, and offered an apology.

“I apologize for the misunderstanding,” Maj. Gen. Archayon said. “It will only apply to certain types of visa, most likely the permanent resident visa.”...

• Like 1