COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

This article in the Bangkok Post had the following picture and caption that caught my eye.
Strict anti-virus controls to remain for now

Commuters duck as disinfectant is sprayed inside a public van at Mor Chit bus depot in the capital on Tuesday. The spraying of the disinfectant, developed by Maejo University International College, is provided free of charge in public transport vehicles. NUTTHAWAT WICHEANBUT

Commuters duck as disinfectant is sprayed inside a public van at Mor Chit bus depot in the capital on Tuesday. The spraying of the disinfectant, developed by Maejo University International College, is provided free of charge in public transport vehicles. NUTTHAWAT WICHEANBUT

I've always wondered what they were spraying, so a keyword search on "disinfectant, developed by Maejo University International College" led me to this FB post.
On January 14, 2021, Assoc. Prof. Dr.Rapeephun Dangtungee, Dean of the International College Together with the management of Navatech (Thailand) Co., Ltd., gave out Maejo Silver Nano innovative disinfectant technology products to Suan Prung Hospital. Sriphat Medical Center Chiang Mai University, Mc Cormick Hospital Chiang Mai and Lampang Kindergarten

So it's silver nanoparticles in the spray. Did some searching on toxicity to humans, and while there isn't much out there did find this study.
Are silver nanoparticles harmful?

The summary of the study was enough to make me run fast, and hard away from wherever I see them spraying.
Summary:
Silver nanoparticles cause more damage to testicular cells than titanium dioxide nanoparticles, according to a recent study. However, the use of both types may affect testicular cells with possible consequences for fertility.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

This article in the Bangkok Post had the following picture and caption that caught my eye.
Strict anti-virus controls to remain for now

I've always wondered what they were spraying, so a keyword search on "disinfectant, developed by Maejo University International College" led me to this FB post.
On January 14, 2021, Assoc. Prof. Dr.Rapeephun Dangtungee, Dean of the International College Together with the management of Navatech (Thailand) Co., Ltd., gave out Maejo Silver Nano innovative disinfectant technology products to Suan Prung Hospital. Sriphat Medical Center Chiang Mai University, Mc Cormick Hospital Chiang Mai and Lampang Kindergarten

So it's silver nanoparticles in the spray. Did some searching on toxicity to humans, and while there isn't much out there did find this study.
Are silver nanoparticles harmful?

The summary of the study was enough to make me run fast, and hard away from wherever I see them spraying.
Summary:
Silver nanoparticles cause more damage to testicular cells than titanium dioxide nanoparticles, according to a recent study. However, the use of both types may affect testicular cells with possible consequences for fertility.

How ridiculous, indiscriminate spraying inside a vehicle when passengers are present. Now i know flight attendants used to spray into overhead lockers when passengers were seated but it was controlled and the locker was shut immediatley after a small spray.

This beggars belief imo. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

How ridiculous, indiscriminate spraying inside a vehicle when passengers are present. Now i know flight attendants used to spray into overhead lockers when passengers were seated but it was controlled and the locker was shut immediatley after a small spray.

This beggars belief imo. 

I have been on flights when passengers were instructed to close their eyes if wearing contact lenses as  as spraying was about to commence and to keep them closed for 30 seconds (?) after the spraying had been completed. I think that was on flights from Thailand only. 

• Like 3

Thai govt saying they won't lift any of the current restrictions until at least the end of this month. Financial support has been extended through to Match, and Centara Krabi are cancelling reservations for April. Sadly, it doesn't look like the tourism scene is improving anytime soon.

11 hours ago, Jambo said:

I have been on flights when passengers were instructed to close their eyes if wearing contact lenses as  as spraying was about to commence and to keep them closed for 30 seconds (?) after the spraying had been completed. I think that was on flights from Thailand only. 

Eva Air ?

3 hours ago, Smiler said:

Protection measures have been ramped up higher here in Isan. Just got back from a local, once a week market.

At the 4 entrances you have the temperature thingy, hand cleaner, bloke who makes sure it's all done properly and he will give you a mask if you don't have one.

IMG_20210121_182220.jpg

Everyone wears a mask, everyone. 

Also new this week is plastic or polythene screens in front of the food stalls.

IMG_20210121_182450.jpgIMG_20210121_182321.jpg

Even the flower and baccy places😏

IMG_20210121_163329.jpgIMG_20210121_182534.jpg

Can’t wait to see where all of the plastics and masks end up.

The ocean is downhill from everywhere.

On 1/19/2021 at 6:28 PM, Pumpuynarak said:

This beggars belief imo. 

Used to spray the whole plane on arrival in Australia.Stewardesses,a can in each hand,down the isle.

• Surprised 1

8 hours ago, maipenrai said:

I remember that too from my first few trips to Oz - being welcomed to the country with a can of Raid, lol....

I flew from YVR to SYD through Honolulu ...maybe 20 times return.

Every time  we landed .....fssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.Maybe that’s why I twitch at night while I’m sleeping.

Or it could be the pot chocolate I just bought.lol

There may be a glimmer of hope Pattaya will be reopening soon. Pattaya News FB posted this about an hour ago.

Breaking- The Chonburi Provincial Administrative Organization President has just posted on his social media account, Wittaya Khunplume, that the Chonburi Provincial Communicable Disease Committee is planning to present to the government changing Chonburi to an orange zone and not a deep red zone due to improvement in Covid19 cases. This would mean relief of many measures.

He said please wait for further announcements from the Communicable Disease Committee. It is unclear if this would be sooner than the end of the month but may be possible.

6 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

There may be a glimmer of hope Pattaya will be reopening soon. Pattaya News FB posted this about an hour ago.

Breaking- The Chonburi Provincial Administrative Organization President has just posted on his social media account, Wittaya Khunplume, that the Chonburi Provincial Communicable Disease Committee is planning to present to the government changing Chonburi to an orange zone and not a deep red zone due to improvement in Covid19 cases. This would mean relief of many measures.

He said please wait for further announcements from the Communicable Disease Committee. It is unclear if this would be sooner than the end of the month but may be possible.

Probably won't happen until January 31st, but that is fortunately only a week from now. 

https://www.ft.com/content/d4a4dec0-57b5-41a4-8a42-f898c4089df3

Thai Hoteliers want the govt to scrap the quarantine requirements for vaccinated travellers. I wish them every success, I hope for their sake the Thai govt doesn't persist with the utterly ludicrous policy of closing the borders until the local population has been vaccinated.

2 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

https://www.ft.com/content/d4a4dec0-57b5-41a4-8a42-f898c4089df3

Thai Hoteliers want the govt to scrap the quarantine requirements for vaccinated travellers. I wish them every success, I hope for their sake the Thai govt doesn't persist with the utterly ludicrous policy of closing the borders until the local population has been vaccinated.

Give those that have been vaccinated can still carry and infect others with the virus, I don't think it's ludicrous for a country to want to protect its citizens until a far number are themselves vaccinated.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Give those that have been vaccinated can still carry and infect others with the virus, I don't think it's ludicrous for a country to want to protect its citizens until a far number are themselves vaccinated.

Nobody knows for certain if transmission occurs after vaccination. Regardless, a vaccine does not need to prevent transmission to be effective. As soon as those that are clinically vulnerable have been vaccinated, then it's the best interests of the rest of the nation to start returning to normality.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/vaccines-need-not-completely-stop-covid-transmission-to-curb-the-pandemic1/

Sterilizing immunity may have been a lofty goal for COVID-19 vaccine manufacturers, though not necessary to curb disease. According to Crowcroft, the very concept of such immunity is nuanced. “In reality, the spectrum of protection might best be framed as the extent to which vaccination prevents transmission of the wild-type virus or bacteria,” she says.

The case of rotavirus—which causes severe vomiting and watery diarrhea and is especially dangerous to infants and young children—is fairly straightforward. Vaccination limits, but does not stop, the pathogen from replicating. As such, it does not protect against mild disease. By reducing an infected person’s viral load, however, it decreases transmission, providing substantial indirect protection. According to the Centers for Disease Control, four to 10 years after the 2006 introduction of a rotavirus vaccine in the U.S., the number of positive tests for the disease fell by as much as 74 to 90 percent .

The pathway to vaccine-mediated control of an infectious disease is not always so direct. Ultimately, whether, and to what degree, inoculation prevents transmission depends on the pathogen itself, the host or hosts it infects and the interaction between the two, Bowdish says.

@tommy dee said on the radio this morning that the Thai PM has approved the plan to allow private hospitals to buy vaccines, as long as they have been approved for use in Thailand. Given that there should be some serious profits in this little caper, flogging vaccines costing a few dollars to farang ATM's for 10,000 Baht++, I hope they can source some of the AstraZeneca vaccine reasonably quickly, maybe even from the batch supposedly arriving next week if they hand over a few brown envelopes, lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

No you are right but maybe they could offer entry to those with a vaccination passport and include a Covid test within 72 hours of departure as extra precaution that they are not asymptomatic.

Maybe another way is to reduce the quarantine period to a week for those holding a vaccination passport, still insist on testing on arrival at hotel and before exit out of quarantine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

@tommy dee said on the radio this morning that the Thai PM has approved the plan to allow private hospitals to buy vaccines, as long as they have been approved for use in Thailand. Given that there should be some serious profits in this little caper, flogging vaccines costing a few dollars to farang ATM's for 10,000 Baht++, I hope they can source some of the AstraZeneca vaccine reasonably quickly, maybe even from the batch supposedly arriving next week if they hand over a few brown envelopes, lol.

The governments emphasis should be on vaccinating its population as quickly as possible. All this will do will allow anybody with money to jump the queue and probably slow down the process of vaccinating those most in need and the rest of the population not in a position to purchase the vaccine unless it is priced really low.

I can just see a situation where my wife's family will be struggling to get access to the vaccine and as happens every time the government passes on the responsibility for any type of hand out, food, TV box, rice etc the headsman of those villages will be making a profit somehow while those poorest lose out or have to hand some amount of money to ensure they get what they are freely entitled to.

I hope I am wrong.

2 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Apparently, Oxford/AZ are selling their vaccine at cost price during the period of the pandemic. I guess they wouldn't be too pleased to find their vaccine being sold on at a high level of profit.