COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

Thai Embassy update

https://www.thaiembassy.com/weekly-updates/thailand-travel-restrictions-for-january-2023

Confirms the above, from 9th January 2023. 

However, unless I missed something, it does not say what is required if proof of vaccination, Covid recovery or doctors letter cannot be provided. As before, proof of a negative PCR test 2 days before flying was required. 

It doesn't affect me personally but it may effect others who are booked to fly without the documents they will be asking for at Check In 

Nothing changed for me, fully vaccinated and would always have insurance which has included Covid cover.

Mental not to have travel insurance and I suppose. for some now, sucks not to be vaccinated if your travel plans have been thrown into jeopardy.

The Foreign Travel Advice for UK citizens does not yet advise the need to show vaccination certificate or have Covid insurance but may be updated from next week if mandatory advice received from Thailand government sources.

The UK government does, though, suggest all tourists contact their airline, as they will be the ones checking any required documentation before boarding and therefore allowing us to travel. I would think that if you got on a flight then immigration will be just checking your passport.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 2

On 1/7/2023 at 5:25 AM, Nightcrawler said:

I was under the impression that UK and most other  visitors will only be asked for proof of at least 2 vaccinations but advised to have adequate insurance. No date has been given yet as to when the change will be implemented. 

As,I understand it, proof of insurance is only required if travelling on to another country. Not sure that makes sense though. I think it's only if required by the country of destination 

https://www.traveloffpath.com/thailand-proposes-bringing-back-travel-restrictions-for-all-visitors/

Could be a bugger for those who have not been vaccinated  

Equal treatment for all foreign visitors ??

Oh, so when I was working in Africa all travelers including Chinese had to go to the Health Desk to get documents checked for SARS/Yellow Fever/Ebola. f**k me - I didn't know that !!!

1 minute ago, Zeb said:

Didn't Thailand use a fair bit of Covid Chinese vaccinations as well ?

Early on, but then AZ became their mass vaccine of choice. Think they stopped using Sinopharm because they saw first hand with their medical staff how ineffective the vaccine was.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

My visa expires 23/1/23 and I planned a month travelling before returning. I am unvaccinated by choice not for any medical reason so how do I get around this?
"Unvaccinated travellers must have proof of why they cannot receive a vaccine."

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2477394/covid-jab-rules-for-travellers-confirmed. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Bangkok Post PCL. All rights reserved.

So now it is looking like I will have to find a compliant doctor to provide a letter that I have recovered from a disease that I have never had.

My flight home isn't until late April so plenty of time for things to change but it seems that the Thai government do not consider all of the implications of their decisions.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's just crazy they have the vaccine requirement in place at all.

The 2nd of my two jabs took place in Nov 2021 and by now whatever protection it offered has waned, not to mention it wouldn't be effective against any of the latest variants.

So what are they hoping to accomplish other than the usual govt nonsense of do something just for the sake of looking like they're doing something whether it makes sense or not. I expect any day now to see them washing the streets again to get rid of the virus.

Sheer lunacy I tell ya.

• Thumbs Up 2

When I was back in Britain in September/October, I got a dose of Covid (the sodding place is pestilential). The NHS isn't interested any more as it's not killing any significant numbers. That's if it was possible to actually see a doctor for those sort of symptoms, which it isn't where my gaff is in South Wales. So how would one get this 'proof of recovery from Covid' if the medics aren't interested and you didn't want an actual vaccine? 

Not that it affects me, I'm back here now until late next year, unless we get another pandemic and I'm stranded here again for years, lol. I had my last Pfizer booster (my second booster and fourth jab in total) in July 2022 and was going to get another one early on this year, but having a dose of Covid is more effective than any vaccine so I'll leave it until later on in the year. Although I don't much want to get Covid again, I'm actually glad I caught it as I know now that it won't kill me. Due to my medical history I was on the highly endangered list, so I'm a firm believer in vaccination.

4 hours ago, karon steve said:

My visa expires 23/1/23 and I planned a month travelling before returning. I am unvaccinated by choice not for any medical reason so how do I get around this?
"Unvaccinated travellers must have proof of why they cannot receive a vaccine."

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2477394/covid-jab-rules-for-travellers-confirmed. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Bangkok Post PCL. All rights reserved.

So now it is looking like I will have to find a compliant doctor to provide a letter that I have recovered from a disease that I have never had.

My flight home isn't until late April so plenty of time for things to change but it seems that the Thai government do not consider all of the implications of their decisions.

Well it's your choice mate.

You say the Thai government haven't considered the implications of their decisions, but it's your own personal decision that's at the root of this.

Could think of worse things than being stuck in LOS till April.

If you can't stick  it out, then what value do you put on your own choice not to be vaccinated? Fair enough if it's a strong principle with you, then you change your flight, and cut and run.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

It's just crazy they have the vaccine requirement in place at all.

The 2nd of my two jabs took place in Nov 2021 and by now whatever protection it offered has waned, not to mention it wouldn't be effective against any of the latest variants.

So what are they hoping to accomplish other than the usual govt nonsense of do something just for the sake of looking like they're doing something whether it makes sense or not. I expect any day now to see them washing the streets again to get rid of the virus.

Sheer lunacy I tell ya.

Yes, the vaccination requirements are not time bound, and a question that I have been seeing a lot on various Social Media sites. 

I am sure that there are many people who qualify for entry with 2 vaccinations which date back over a year  

I just took a look at my 4 vaccine certificates (for a better word) which I printed out a couple of weeks ago. obviously each next ro the QR code says that it expires end of June 2023. However, each time you visit the NHS to look at the records, the expiry date changes. 

Personally, my last vaccination took place on 7th October 2022 after I returned home from my last Thai trip and is not an issue. 

I have no idea, how long the vaccinations are good for in real terms. The last two have been boosters which suggest that they have been to prolong the previous vaccinations, but I don't know enough about it,  I am assuming that I am "fully" vaccinated. But what does really mean?. It certainly doesn't mean that I cannot contract or spread the Covid virus, but that my immune system is strengthened against the symptoms of Covid 19. 

I think the first to shots were to combat the initial Delta strain. 

So here's the rub. ... .  

The most important issue is whether a person is entering Thailand is carrying the C19 virus on entry. 

Logistically, those travelling from China either directly or indirectly should have to show proof of a negative test within 48 hrs of departure.  The reason being clear that China has the highest levels of the Covid virus in the World at present,  and a swathe of visitors could easily raise the levels of infection in parts of Thailand.  The longer term effect is NOT known. 

As I have written before, the idea of all foreign visitors being treated equally is ridiculous and done merely to appease China. But they know that if the required all countries to adopt PCR tests prior to entry, then it would be chaotic for tourism which they so desperately need. 

At the end of the day, it is all about getting back the 40% of visitors previously lost regardless of the longer risks to public health.

When most other countries had high levels of Covid, they introduced the Thai Pass and quarantine hotels 

But they will not reintroduce that for the Chinese and if they did, then they would make it mandatory for ALL visitors regardless of the R number in those countries.

I am not by any means saying that vaccination is or has not been effective, but as FBWY pointed out, there is a question mark over how long vaccinations are valid for? 

I would have thought, that at least, they might require at least 2 vaccinations within the last 12 months, if at all. 

Oh well........the rules is the rules and bugger we can do about it. Its going to slow up Check In for many Carriers arround the world bound for Thailand.  Last time I flew in September when proof of vaccination was still required, I waited over 45 minutes in the Check In queue.  I overheard conversations from several passengers/ airline staff, when they were unable to show proof of vaccination. They still got on the flight though. 

It will be interesting to see how it pans out next week.when I fly direct from UK. 

NB

Since they do not physically scan the QR code of NHS Vaccination certificates at Check In, I would  not be surprised if some, without valid certs from any country, including China, , submit dodgy papers using PDF editing software and someone else's Vaccination record  

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, lazarus said:

"Thus, it would be kind of you, Chinese tourists, to make sure that you are not infected before traveling to Thailand so as not to burden yourself and the host country. Also, please wear sanitary masks while traveling on public transport in Thailand. (No need for Hazmat suit unless you want people to stare at you.) Most of us are not racist and we are happy to have you back as long as you take necessary sanity and health precautions."

It would be nice to think so, but you can bet your life that consideration for others will not be top of the agenda for those desperate to travel to Thailand  

It's too much to ask,IMO. 

A negative PCR test at departure would be the most practical solution rather than leaving it to choice  

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

It would be nice to think so, but you can bet your life that consideration for others will not be top of the agenda for those desperate to travel to Thailand

You could say that about a person of any nationality that's not traveled in awhile...

Time to just live with it (Covid) as it's not going away ever.

. . .

I’m Sorry, but This COVID Policy Is Ridiculous
The recent attempt to limit the spread of disease from China makes no sense at all.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2023/01/china-covid-19-travel-policy-restrictions/672668/?utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

You could say that about a person of any nationality that's not traveled in awhile...

Time to just live with it (Covid) as it's not going away ever.

. . .

I’m Sorry, but This COVID Policy Is Ridiculous
The recent attempt to limit the spread of disease from China makes no sense at all.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2023/01/china-covid-19-travel-policy-restrictions/672668/?utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

Yes, I could say that about about any Nationality but the different being that we a talking about millions of possible infected people.

China has a massive population with an estimated 600 million Covid infections. A recent report stated that up to a million Chinese people could die of Covid related illness over the next year. 

It is the shear scale that concerns me, not the fact that they happen to be Chinese by ethnicity. My thoughts are based on that logic. 

Yes, we are all adapting to live with Covid, but China is still ap in the Middle of a Pandemic. 

I sincerely hope that I am wrong 

But hey,ets turn this around the other way

CHINA

COVID-19 Entry Requirements (from 8 January 2023)

From 8 January 2023, China is changing its COVID-19 entry requirements for all travellers entering the country. If you are due to arrive in China on or after 8 January 2023, China time, you will need a negative PCR test. You must submit your negative PCR test result by filling in the Health Declaration Form via the China Customs website, or through the China Customs App or WeChat account. Anyone reporting a positive test result will not be permitted to board a flight to China.

‐-----------

And the Chinese Government  are complaining that they think that many other countries are being unreasonable with their immigration policies regarding China   

But I guess we shouldn't mention it in case we are unfairly discriminating against the Chinese 

So,for instance, if a Thai wants to visit China, they have to show a negative PCR test. But not the other way around . Or am I missing a trick here  

It's ridiculous 

Time for me to take a lie down in the dark and ponder about the crazy f*cked up world we live in 😗

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

Yes, I could say that about about any Nationality but the different being that we a talking about millions of possible infected people.

Sure. But how many Chinese will come to Thailand in the next month or two? How many will be infected with Covid? Nobody knows.

I bet a lot of 'em once in the LOS -- infected or not -- will pursue the Covid vaxx not available in the PRC. And, there's way better hospitals eager for paying customers. Cha'ching...

It is the shear scale that concerns me, not the fact that they happen to be Chinese by ethnicity. My thoughts are based on that logic. 

Logically 'speaking' you can easily avoid hanging out with Chinese people in Pattaya. When you are near a crowd of 'em, e.g., at Tiffany's 😁 ... or Swampy for example -- you can wear a mask. Same as anywhere else where there are people you do not know who might be infected.

Correct me if I'm wrong hasn't the Covid infection rate in England been high in the most recent past? What do you do at home to avoid infection? Is there any one 'group' that's had it more than another?

But hey, (l)ets turn this around the other way

I don't have a problem with their policy regarding Covid. I plan to go visit my friend in China as soon as I have free time, flight prices come down, and they allow regular 'tourists' in. They are not fully 'open' yet and the flight prices are astronomical (even from SEA). I'll happily take a PCR test and have my vaxx card in hand when I leave Amerika. Just hope my 10-year tourist visa is still valid...

Just last week I sent in my Covid vaxx card (online) to attend a meeting at a school I'm considering for my daughter (here in San Francisco).  Easy to follow the various requirements when requested. Anti-vaxx'ers have issues, tho...

I do think that PCR tests make sense for Chinese (and many others) to travel anywhere and it's fair they are reciprocated (as it is in the US now). Yet, they are considered a cash cow in the LOS and we know how that goes. Of course though people who take personal responsibility seriously will should refrain from traveling if infected. There's the rub, right?

Hopefully they all will just find some good ganja, chill out and look at the sea...

. . .

Capturecow.JPG

Edited by lazarus
moo

25 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Sure. But how many Chinese will come to Thailand in the next month or two? How many will be infected with Covid? Nobody knows.

I bet a lot of 'em once in the LOS -- infected or not -- will pursue the Covid vaxx not available in the PRC. And, there's mush better hospitals eager for paying customers. Cha'ching...

Logically 'speaking' you can easily avoid hanging out with Chinese people in Pattaya. When you are near a crowd of 'em, e.g., at Swampy for example -- you can wear a mask. Same as anywhere else where there are people you do not know who might be infected.

Correct me if I'm wrong hasn't the Covid infection rate in England been high in the most recent past? What do you do at home to avoid infection? Is there any one 'group' that's had it more than another?

I don't have a problem with their policy regarding Covid. I plan to go visit my friend in China as soon as I have free time, flight prices come down, and they allow regular 'tourists' in. They are not fully 'open' yet and the flight prices are astronomical (even from SEA). I'll happily take a PCR test and have my vaxx card in hand. Just hope my 10-year tourist visa is still valid...

Just last week I sent in my Covid vaxx card (online) to attend a meeting at a school (here in San Francisco) I'm considering for my daughter.  Easy to follow the various requirements when requested.

I do think that PCR tests make sense for Chinese to travel anywhere and it's fair they are reciprocated (as it is in the US now). Yet, they are considered a cash cow in the LOS and we know how that goes.

Hopefully they all will just pick up some good ganja, chill out and look at the sea...

. . .

Capturecow.JPG

Understand what you are saying, but my post isn't about me. I am not personally worried about mixing with Chinese tourists, as you say, they don't tend to hang around the bars and places I visit

I am referring to the general principles or lack of them and double standards  

There won't be that many Chinese visitors during the next month. Some will need to renew passports and tour operators and airlines will be gearing for the big push  for tbe following months  

.Different standards are being applied and its all about the money and politics disguised as being about Covid  .

Yes, Chinese tourists are the cash cow and the main reason why these new rules have been  put into place. Then justified by extending those same rules to visitors from other countries where before, they wee not seen as a Covid risk  

I think it's a farce

• Thumbs Up 2

As China Lifts Pandemic Border Controls, Mixed Feelings at Home and Abroad

Friends and families are planning reunions; tourists are booking flights. But amid the anticipation, there’s a whiff of anxiety.

Free access article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/08/world/asia/china-borders-covid.html?unlocked_article_code=zKQiY-5V72aV_t7P7UOQzeIMj48D_hEDv0L4CqN2UcUoFudBCmeebEaUCsEHnJZ6cZ372YNeuobIGmNj0EHeB3hGFLUa-b1CNrkD-fsjWX2_E6GWQJ2elpTeieaDMKDw8wtlnl7VP7u_ibJ-8Fc5e7wI4gDMQQRqDR9cNmInABc7H_KJmfD4n74CubsEcWPbI-Gt5MkvGDpHITbLIaijZy85XWFjnJLnjrF9yf2NWf9BwuG12EWsVboUQy9Q8_ssvpRF3p6m5AQFVz6O-w4SMiEHoU2jd921Icu4tNAxZq3YJiokHKV_eVsMPB6X7UzmnS50b47dnaxmWlDmilWS7A&smid=share-url

... Thailand is anticipating around 300,000 Chinese visitors in the first three months of 2023, said Yuthasak Supasorn, governor of the country’s Tourism Authority. “There are only 15 flights per week compared to before Covid, where there are around 400 flights per week,” he said. Before the pandemic, nearly a million Chinese tourists visited every month.

At the Maetaeng Elephant Park in the northern Thai province of Chiang Mai, employees said they were excited to see Chinese tourists return. For now, though, they are busy with South Koreans, who have largely replaced the Chinese as their biggest clientele.

“It is all still wait and see,” said Thipsuda Poungmalee, a sales and marketing manager at the park...

10 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

That didn't take long. Officials are already backtracking from a poorly thought out vaccine requirement.

Update: Thailand’s Civil Aviation Authority Tells Airlines Unvaccinated/Travelers Without Vaccine Documentation Can Fly But Must Test on Arrival

I was wondering exactly the same thing easier this evening as to how airline staff would handle the transfer of passengers who cannot supply vaccination documents and require a PCR test on arrival  

I doubt if that has even been  figured out yet. 

So it's good news and potential bad news for unvaccinated travelers 

The good news it that they will be able to fly but the bad news is that they may have to hang around the airport on airside until a test can be arranged, and almost certainly have to pay a fee  I doubt if any quarantine arrangements have been put into place but if so, that would be at a cost, not to mention a large chunk of time time out of their trip. .

Come Tuesday, I reckon it will be a Mayhem at Swampy arrivals and I don't see how they can lay all the procedures to deal with hundreds of passengers needing tests  in the time needed. 

The whole thing has been poorly though out and a waste of time and resources both for airline staff at Check Ins and for immigration at Swampy    

Of course the most logical Solution would be for the Chinese to administer checking PCR tests at the point of departure in China and let them take on the administration for fit to fly, and keep everything the same as it was for visitors from.other countries instead of creating a mountain out of a me hill  

• Like 2