COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

1 minute ago, john luke said:

I flew out overnight 1st and 2nd April 2020.  Things were noticably tightening up during the last few days I was there.  Kiss Foods on Naklua Road where we normally had lunch was closed.

That said the supermarkets and 7/11/Family Mart were open 0500 1900 approx and showed no shortages of food or indeed toilet rolls.  Finnair re booked me onto Qatar Air.  I was impressed with Qatar Air.  Walked through my front door at 0800 hours this morning.

Glad you got out in time, the fact that you had to fly home on an alternative airline just shows you how late you left it.

Getting stranded in Thailand right now ain't on my fun list, that's for sure!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, john luke said:

I flew out overnight 1st and 2nd April 2020.  Things were noticably tightening up during the last few days I was there.  Kiss Foods on Naklua Road where we normally had lunch was closed.

That said the supermarkets and 7/11/Family Mart were open 0500 1900 approx and showed no shortages of food or indeed toilet rolls.  Finnair re booked me onto Qatar Air.  I was impressed with Qatar Air.  Walked through my front door at 0800 hours this morning.

Did the plane have the Q suites ? I was hoping to experience them this trip .. 😞 

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

Did the plane have the Q suites ? I was hoping to experience them this trip .. 😞 

Yes the flight from BKK to Doha was a Boeing 777 300, which had the Q suites.  One also gets a free pair of Qatar pyjamas for the flight.  

On a serious note, the whole experience was great.  Food was good, the lounges were good and staff on the flights were very attentive.  

Second leg from Doha to MAN was a Boeing 787 Dreamliner.  Whilst I prefered the Q suite on the 777, there was plenty of room on the 787.

On both flights the Cabin Director (Head Purser) visited everyone to ask if they had enjoyed the flight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, john luke said:

Yes the flight from BKK to Doha was a Boeing 777 300, which had the Q suites.  One also gets a free pair of Qatar pyjamas for the flight.  

On a serious note, the whole experience was great.  Food was good, the lounges were good and staff on the flights were very attentive.  

Second leg from Doha to MAN was a Boeing 787 Dreamliner.  Whilst I prefered the Q suite on the 777, there was plenty of room on the 787.

On both flights the Cabin Director (Head Purser) visited everyone to ask if they had enjoyed the flight.

I got some PJs on my Eva flight too, along with slippers and a travel bag full of goodies. I didn't bother with any of that apart from using the PJs as an extra pillow and the blanket to cover me whilst I slept.

Getting a free upgrade to business was a bit of a treat for me. :default_fun:

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

One of the big problems with the Q suites is that many of them face backwards, if I travel backwards I am sick. Getting an upgrade could proove to be a nightmare for me!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I got some PJs on my Eva flight too, along with slippers and a travel bag full of goodies. I didn't bother with any of that apart from using the PJs as an extra pillow and the blanket to cover me whilst I slept.

Getting a free upgrade to business was a bit of a treat for me. :default_fun:

Do you normally stick with EVA  to build up your points or just lucky ? I've only ever been upgraded twice KLM and BA both times to Brazil 

43 minutes ago, boydeste said:

One of the big problems with the Q suites is that many of them face backwards, if I travel backwards I am sick. Getting an upgrade could proove to be a nightmare for me!

Think the ones facing backwards are more private as well ... I wasn't 100% sure I would enjoy facing backwards , but was going to give it a go ... 

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

Think the ones facing backwards are more private as well ... I wasn't 100% sure I would enjoy facing backwards , but was going to give it a go ... 

In reality the only time you are physically "affected" by facing backwards is during take off and landing. But........psychologically it doesn't seem right.   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Do you normally stick with EVA  to build up your points or just lucky ? I've only ever been upgraded twice KLM and BA both times to Brazil 

I pretty much always fly direct if I can, massive advantage over non direct for me. Eva is my first choice having tried Thai. Recently I triggered Silver card status and that gives me access to the business class lounge. Given that the plane was over booked with people such as myself trying to get home I got the upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, jcolorado said:

In reality the only time you are physically "affected" by facing backwards is during take off and landing. But........psychologically it doesn't seem right.   

The Eva seating is at an angle and that felt very uncomfortable to me during taxi and takeoff.

Even sitting in a horse drawn carridge I have been sick travelling backwards. I have no idea why but it has always been the case since being a child.

4 hours ago, boydeste said:

The Eva seating is at an angle and that felt very uncomfortable to me during taxi and takeoff.

Even sitting in a horse drawn carridge I have been sick travelling backwards. I have no idea why but it has always been the case since being a child.

I get the same on the trains,they say if you keep the blinds on the train down it helps a lot.

regards

grayray

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, boydeste said:

When you say reverse,what does that mean.

I’ve  flown with EVA twice ,one in Biz and the other PE.We we’re facing forward.

7 hours ago, boydeste said:

Getting stranded in Thailand right now ain't on my fun list, that's for sure!

Much rather be here than the UK.  No food, drink or toilet roll shortages.  If someone's hotel closed down there's an abundance of places available, and the weather is decent (won't even reach double  figures at home today).  I can go for a walk almost anywhere while still avoiding people.  Better choice of takeway food than near my home and Bow still cooking up good food daily.  Still easy enough to get home if I really wanted to, and I don't have any need to visit immigration.  Downside is no swimming pool.

Worries are a potential 24 hour curfew and water shortages but neither happened yet.  Given the same choice now as I had two weeks ago, I'd still be here.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

great fuckin advert for farang this mob...  hope their mums are proud

They were stupid to be so noisy that the neighbours called the police.

If you do stuff like that, at least be discreet....

Also I cant understand why nowadays all those guys need to take shit to have fun....

Pattaya Shutdown! Severe restrictions on movement and closure of hotels among new measures as Covid-19 cases rise rapidly

A top level meeting yesterday of the governor of Chonburi, district chiefs, mayors and health personnel decided on a ten point plan that is set to be signed and implemented today. 

The measures will leave any tourists remaining in Pattaya at the whim of hotel owners as to whether they will stay open, notes Thaivisa.

It includes curfew measures, the closure of hotels, restriction on employees leaving the province and the shutdown of Pattaya.

No one will be able to go in and out of the resort unless it is absolutely necessary. 

The meeting heard that infections in Chonburi had rocketed to 61. 

The new measures are:

1. Each district sets up their own taskforce to ensure compliance with the regulations

2. Hotels and places that resemble hotels are to close down and employees are to stay at the hotels and not leave Chonburi to go home. Hotels that still have guests were given three days to decide whether to close down or stay open. 

3. Pattaya will be sealed off. No one will be allowed to go in or out. Checkpoints will decide on special cases. 

4. All beaches in Chonburi are to close to any social gathering but swimming is still allowed. 

5. Gas stations are to close between 10 pm and 5 am.

6. All markets are to shut. 

7. People are asked to observe an 11pm to 5 am curfew (if the government announces separate regulations to be followed people must follow the government orders).

8. Certain commercial businesses are to be ordered shut (This vague reference was not explained, notes Thaivisa)

9. There is to be no assemblies at reservoirs. 

10. Male and female hairdressers can remain open for haircutting only. All tattooists and nail salons are to shut. 

All these regulations will apply when signed by the governor. 

That is expected to happen today, notes Thaivisa. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1157476-pattaya-shutdown-severe-restrictions-on-movement-and-closure-of-hotels-among-new-measures-as-covid-19-cases-rise-rapidly/#comments

Source: 77kaoded

• Surprised 1

5 hours ago, KWA said:

Much rather be here than the UK.  No food, drink or toilet roll shortages.  If someone's hotel closed down there's an abundance of places available, and the weather is decent (won't even reach double  figures at home today).  I can go for a walk almost anywhere while still avoiding people.  Better choice of takeway food than near my home and Bow still cooking up good food daily.  Still easy enough to get home if I really wanted to, and I don't have any need to visit immigration.  Downside is no swimming pool.

Worries are a potential 24 hour curfew and water shortages but neither happened yet.  Given the same choice now as I had two weeks ago, I'd still be here.

Agreed.

Though a nationwide 24hr curfew is still under consideration if the situation there still doesn't improve.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2020/04/03/prayut-say-24-hour-curfew-may-follow-as-4-new-virus-deaths-reported/

Edited by dcfc2007

A couple of points:-

1. I think the fact that the gent had already overstayed by two days may have been a factor in the Immigration Officer's decison to only grant the shorter extension rather than 30 days.  He has demonstrated that he is prepared to break the law.
  2. As far as a fine for overstaying; again no suprise to me.  What would you expect in the UK if a motorist went into the police station to produce driving documents and handed over an insurance certificate that had expired two days ago or a driver who was just 2 over the prescribed alcohol limit whilst driving a car.  Unless there was a convincing reason for the person not attending at Immigration two days earlier I think the fine is proportional to what he has done.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sigi said:

Pattaya Shutdown! Severe restrictions on movement and closure of hotels among new measures as Covid-19 cases rise rapidly

A top level meeting yesterday of the governor of Chonburi, district chiefs, mayors and health personnel decided on a ten point plan that is set to be signed and implemented today. 

The measures will leave any tourists remaining in Pattaya at the whim of hotel owners as to whether they will stay open, notes Thaivisa.

It includes curfew measures, the closure of hotels, restriction on employees leaving the province and the shutdown of Pattaya.

No one will be able to go in and out of the resort unless it is absolutely necessary. 

The meeting heard that infections in Chonburi had rocketed to 61. 

The new measures are:

1. Each district sets up their own taskforce to ensure compliance with the regulations

2. Hotels and places that resemble hotels are to close down and employees are to stay at the hotels and not leave Chonburi to go home. Hotels that still have guests were given three days to decide whether to close down or stay open. 

3. Pattaya will be sealed off. No one will be allowed to go in or out. Checkpoints will decide on special cases. 

4. All beaches in Chonburi are to close to any social gathering but swimming is still allowed. 

5. Gas stations are to close between 10 pm and 5 am.

6. All markets are to shut. 

7. People are asked to observe an 11pm to 5 am curfew (if the government announces separate regulations to be followed people must follow the government orders).

8. Certain commercial businesses are to be ordered shut (This vague reference was not explained, notes Thaivisa)

9. There is to be no assemblies at reservoirs. 

10. Male and female hairdressers can remain open for haircutting only. All tattooists and nail salons are to shut. 

All these regulations will apply when signed by the governor. 

That is expected to happen today, notes Thaivisa. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1157476-pattaya-shutdown-severe-restrictions-on-movement-and-closure-of-hotels-among-new-measures-as-covid-19-cases-rise-rapidly/#comments

Source: 77kaoded

They are really doing everything to make the place tourist friendly..........

7 hours ago, KWA said:

I have spent 5 months of the winter in Thailand and was comming to the end of my Visa entitlement. My house insurance at home is set up for me to be away from home for a limited time and also my travel insurance too. These alone required me to return, I am much happier in my own home with all my facilities here and Spring is my favourite time of year with the weather starting to break. We have high teens at the weekend. I don't know who you fly with but many guys have struggled to get home due to cancelled flights and it is getting worse.

From the above, I think the Visa situation is key and given the recent attitude towards us over visas, I think I would have been royally screwed if I had been stranded.

We all have different circumstances mate. You have just flown out and have a decent set up there for sure!

Stay safe and best wishes.

Edited by boydeste
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Stillearly said:

14 hours ago, boydeste said:

13 hours ago, Stillearly said:

9 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

When you say reverse,what does that mean.

I’ve  flown with EVA twice ,one in Biz and the other PE.We we’re facing forward.

You needed to read the thread, we were discussing the new Q suites on the Qatar flight just taken by JL.

They have a seating arangement in Business class where many are facing backwards.

1 hour ago, john luke said:

A couple of points:-

1.   Unless there was a convincing reason for the person not attending at Immigration two days earlier I think the fine is proportional to what he has done.

Like, I don't know, a global pandemic causing chaos and confusion worldwide. Not everybody who is queueing up at immigration is being served because of the sheer numbers of people attending.

Trat immigration now requiring farang attend with their hotelier or landlord for an 'interrogation'. They must be the only country on earth behaving in this manner. It's absurd.