COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

Thailand confirms fifth case of China Coronavirus

images-181.jpg

BANGKOK (Reuters) – Thailand on Friday confirmed its fifth case of the new coronavirus, a senior public health official said, in the second instance in which a patient was not detected at the airport before entering the country.

“The patient is a 33-year-old woman from Wuhan on vacation,” Deputy Public Health Minister Sathit Patucha told Reuters, adding that she was under quarantine at Rajavithi hospital and her condition was improving.

The woman arrived in Bangkok on Jan. 21 with her daughter and visited a private hospital complaining of a fever, coughing and muscle aches before being transferred to a government hospital on Jan. 23, Sathit said.

Her daughter tested negative for the virus.

A Thai woman who contracted the virus after spending the New Year in Wuhan was admitted to Nakhon Pathom hospital, 60 km (40 miles) west of Bangkok, on Jan. 15 and discharged on Friday after lab tests cleared her of the virus, the Public Health Ministry said in a statement.

Thailand currently has two patients under quarantine for the virus.

China has stepped up measures to contain the virus, which has killed 25 people and infected more than 800, with public transport suspensions in 10 cities, temples shutting, and the rapid construction of a new hospital to treat those infected.

The Wuhan airport was closed on Jan. 23.

Now it hits the UK:-

14 tested for Wuhan coronavirus virus in UK as death toll hits 25

Public Health England says 14 people have been tested for the Wuhan coronavirus in the UK - with five cleared and nine awaiting test results.

Six Chinese nationals remained in isolation in the UK yesterday while treatment and tests are carried out - two in Glasgow, one in Edinburgh, one in Belfast and others in undisclosed locations.

At least one is thought to have flown in via London.

It is also being reported that a desperate hunt is now under way for 2,000 recent arrivals in the UK from China. They all arrived in Britain within the last two weeks.

Four NHS trusts in the capital have been put on standby to receive patients.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has insisted Britain can cope with any outbreak.

While in China now:-

Footage Shows People Dropping To The Ground In China Amid Coronavirus Outbreak

thumbnail.jpeg

Shocking footage showing people in China falling down in the streets and in hospital has been shared online, as authorities attempt to control the coronavirus outbreak outbreak.

Wuhan, which has been identified as the city where the deadly coronavirus started, has been placed into lockdown. 

Now footage, reportedly filmed in the city, has emerged showing people dropping to the ground while emergency workers walk around in hazmat suits. 

Yesterday images were shared online showing panicked residents stocking up on food and other essentials while the city remains in lockdown. 

One clip shows a man lying on the ground while medics attempt to help him. 

Other clips show packed hospitals - as hundreds of people turn up to be tested. 

Officials have said a brand-new 1,000-bed hospital will be built in just six days in an attempt to keep up with demand. 

The hospital is being built around a holiday complex on the outskirts of the city, Changjiang Daily reports. 

The news outlet claims the hospital is designed to 'solve the shortage of existing medical resources', adding that the buildings will be prefabricated, potentially reducing construction time and costs.

3 hours ago, Lanzalad said:

Now it hits the UK:-

14 tested for Wuhan coronavirus virus in UK as death toll hits 25

Public Health England says 14 people have been tested for the Wuhan coronavirus in the UK - with five cleared and nine awaiting test results.

Just another nine negative results and nothing happened in the UK.

• Like 1

Although this thing of course need to be taken seriously, I think there is a bit of over panicking here...

For example, pneumonia killed over 8,000 people in HKG in 2017. That's 22 per day. In complete silence. 

https://www.healthyhk.gov.hk/phisweb/en/healthy_facts/disease_burden/major_causes_death/pneumonia/

"Pneumonia was the second leading cause of death in 2017. In 2017, the number of deaths were 8,032, accounting for 17.5% of all registered deaths. The crude death rates for male and female were 128.5 and 91.8 per 100,000 population of respective sex."

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Although this thing of course need to be taken seriously, I think there is a bit of over panicking here...

For example, pneumonia killed over 8,000 people in HKG in 2017. That's 22 per day. In complete silence. 

https://www.healthyhk.gov.hk/phisweb/en/healthy_facts/disease_burden/major_causes_death/pneumonia/

"Pneumonia was the second leading cause of death in 2017. In 2017, the number of deaths were 8,032, accounting for 17.5% of all registered deaths. The crude death rates for male and female were 128.5 and 91.8 per 100,000 population of respective sex."

Yep, it's called the China Syndrome 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

Been through the SARS, Avian Flu, Swine Flu, Ebola, etc. etc. hyped disease scares over the years where everyone was doomed. This too shall pass. 

Medical opinion seems to point to the fact that all those so far that have died had pre existing health problems. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 10:28 PM, Steelers4Life said:

Been through the SARS, Avian Flu, Swine Flu, Ebola, etc. etc. hyped disease scares over the years where everyone was doomed. This too shall pass. 

Post of distinction.

First time I ever went to Thailand 2003 middle of Sars scare ........... as Steels says this too shall pass.

What is wrong with people nowadays ??? Social media I guess ...... pathetic .... 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Post of distinction.

First time I ever went to Thailand 2003 middle of Sars scare ........... as Steels says this too shall pass.

What is wrong with people nowadays ??? Social media I guess ...... pathetic .... 

Sorry but I disagree.  If something is in the public eye, the authorities are less likely to ignore it.

That said I dont want paranoia but qute happy for it to be kept in the spotlight.

• Like 4

I went to see my doctor today and told him I was suffering from Corona Virus, he said the only thing I was suffering from was hypochondria

and I said "f**k me, not that as well"😉

Edited by bexwell
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Is it advisable to wear a face mask when arriving at Bangkok International where thousands of Chinese are arriving  >

I always thought those things were intended to keep germs IN rather than OUT.  Either way, I doubt they're suitable for use over long periods.  They need to be put on properly and have to make a good seal to keep germs from passing the barrier in either direction.  So, no beards, for example.

• Great Info 1

10 minutes ago, Rompho Ray said:

I always thought those things were intended to keep germs IN rather than OUT.  Either way, I doubt they're suitable for use over long periods.  They need to be put on properly and have to make a good seal to keep germs from passing the barrier in either direction.  So, no beards, for example.

Correct!

Current NHS guidelines stipulate FFP3 face masks for virus and bacterial infection control when the contagion is spread through aerosol (coughs, sneezes etc)

FFP stands for "Filtering Face Piece" and the number denotes the level of protection.

During the SARS outbreak the N95 was the go to mask. The N95 is equivalent to a P2 mask.

Scientists have confirmed exactly where the epicentre of the deadly coronavirus outbreak
which has infected more than 2700 people and killed at least 81, began in Wuhan, China.

Experts from the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said tests
confirmed the virus first jumped from animals to humans inside the Huanan Seafood
Wholesale Market in the heart of city, according to China’s state-owned Xinhua news
agency.

The “wet” market which includes live animals for sale had been reported as the source of
the outbreak, however samples now confirm that is the case after testing was carried out.

“Thirty-one of the 33 positive samples were collected from the western zone of the market,
where booths of wildlife trading concentrated,” the CDC said.

“The result suggests that the novel coronavirus outbreak is highly relevant to the trading of
the wild animals,” experts said.

Wildlife sold at the market for human consumption included wolf cubs, civet cats, bats,
dogs, pigs, snakes, chickens, donkeys, badgers, bamboo rats, hedgehogs and deer. Wet
markets place people and live and dead animals in close contact, making it easy for a virus
to jump species.

Now did that put you off your wolf cub burger.