COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

World Health Organisation declares global emergency over coronavirus

The World Health Organisation has declared a global emergency over coronavirus after the number of cases spiked 10-fold in a week.

The UN health agency defines an international emergency as an “extraordinary event” that
constitutes a risk to other countries and requires a co-ordinated international response.

“The main reason for this declaration is not because of what is happening in China, but
because of what is happening in other countries,” WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom
Ghebreyesus told reporters on Friday morning.

“Our greatest concern is the potential for the virus to spread to countries with weaker health
systems, and which are ill-prepared to deal with it.”

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/world-health-organisation-declares-global-emergency-over-coronavirus/news-story/753f7e873b30f5e20d7e150dd2a9062e

Deadly coronavirus takes just 15 minutes to spread from person to person

Potentially thousands of Aussies could have been exposed to the coronavirus, which can be passed person to person in just 15 minutes.

It’s been revealed that it only takes 15 minutes for the deadly coronavirus to pass from one
person to another – as a ninth person has been diagnosed in Australia.

According to NSW Health advice, people are now at risk of catching the virus if they spend
a quarter of an hour in close contact, such as a face-to-face conversation, or two hours in the
same confined space with an infected person.

And now Chinese health authorities have confirmed that, contrary to earlier belief, patients
are contagious even before they develop symptoms.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/deadly-coronavirus-takes-just-15-minutes-to-spread-from-person-to-person/news-story/b5714bae568877964b74ac215ff07ff1

Best place to sit on a plane to avoid contracting coronavirus, according to study

University researchers in the US say they’ve determined the best places to sit on plane to reduce the chance of contracting the deadly coronavirus.

CR-Money-InlineHero-Airport-Lounges-Wort

The safest place to sit on an aeroplane while the coronavirus outbreak continues to expand
may be the window seat, according to new university research.

Fox News reports a study by the FlyHealthy Research Team at Emory University in
Atlanta, Georgia, observed behaviours of passengers and airline crew across 10 flights of
between three and five hours in the United States.

It found those who were seated in the window had less contact with potentially infected
people, National Geographic reported.

Respiratory illnesses, like coronavirus, generally spread through a person coming into
contact with an infected person’s saliva or mucus. Droplets from a sneeze or cough can land
on surfaces, such as tray tables or arm rests, and potentially infect a nearby passenger
sharing the enclosed space.

However, those sitting in window seats had less interaction with other passengers – beyond
those sitting within two rows of them – thus limiting their chances of interacting with an
infected person, study leads Vicki Stover Hertzberg of Emory University and Howard Weiss
of Penn State University discovered.

Those seated in aisle seats, however, were more likely to come into contact with passengers
moving about the cabin to use the lavatory or with the airline’s crew members – an average
of 64 contacts versus the window seat’s 12.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/best-place-to-sit-on-a-plane-to-avoid-contracting-coronavirus-according-to-study/news-story/4e6e5372426d8b8942a87e30fb1ce50f

55 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Best place to sit on a plane to avoid contracting coronavirus, according to study

University researchers in the US say they’ve determined the best places to sit on plane to reduce the chance of contracting the deadly coronavirus.

CR-Money-InlineHero-Airport-Lounges-Wort

The safest place to sit on an aeroplane while the coronavirus outbreak continues to expand
may be the window seat, according to new university research.

Fox News reports a study by the FlyHealthy Research Team at Emory University in
Atlanta, Georgia, observed behaviours of passengers and airline crew across 10 flights of
between three and five hours in the United States.

It found those who were seated in the window had less contact with potentially infected
people, National Geographic reported.

Respiratory illnesses, like coronavirus, generally spread through a person coming into
contact with an infected person’s saliva or mucus. Droplets from a sneeze or cough can land
on surfaces, such as tray tables or arm rests, and potentially infect a nearby passenger
sharing the enclosed space.

However, those sitting in window seats had less interaction with other passengers – beyond
those sitting within two rows of them – thus limiting their chances of interacting with an
infected person, study leads Vicki Stover Hertzberg of Emory University and Howard Weiss
of Penn State University discovered.

Those seated in aisle seats, however, were more likely to come into contact with passengers
moving about the cabin to use the lavatory or with the airline’s crew members – an average
of 64 contacts versus the window seat’s 12.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/best-place-to-sit-on-a-plane-to-avoid-contracting-coronavirus-according-to-study/news-story/4e6e5372426d8b8942a87e30fb1ce50f

What a load of fucking nonsense. 

Anything for clicks on news sites these days. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, thumper63 said:

So what is the situation in Thailand. Is the Thai government banning air travel from China into Thailand?

Not in general but flights from Wuhan to Chiang Mai have been. 

I think more serious measures will only be taken once people actually start dying here too. 

So far there's only been hospital admissions and several have been sent home already. 

Still no deaths outside of China, massive over reaction in my opinion,  wondering what the mortality rate is for 9000 cases of flu?   

I think there will be fatalities elsewhere,  but for me its just bloody flu, if you are fit with no pre existing health issues I believe there is no reason to be concerned. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, ukdave51 said:

Still no deaths outside of China, massive over reaction in my opinion,  wondering what the mortality rate is for 9000 cases of flu?   

I think there will be fatalities elsewhere,  but for me its just bloody flu, if you are fit with no pre existing health issues I believe there is no reason to be concerned. 

I agree with this.  I calculate the mortality rate now and then and it works out to a fraction of SARS, which I also ignored while over there.

7 minutes ago, ukdave51 said:

I think the big worry is if it mutates with the human flu virus.

• Thumbs Up 1

200 French nationals (and bi nationals I guess) rapatriated today from China. Plane (military flight) lands at Istres, south of France, those persons will be put in quarantine for 2 weeks in a holiday ressort in the region.

I can imagine all the logistics and mad precautions...😱😱😱

Pic from the plane....

7d87eff4-df5c-47b0-a37d-e088bfe48729.jpg

42 minutes ago, ukdave51 said:

The 1918 flu was fatal in 10-20% of infections (50-100 million deaths).

It was just bloody flu.

Edited by fygjam
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Yeah, but sanitary conditions in 1918 and 2020 are not same....

First, lets be clear the flu virus and corona virus are not the same or even related.

There are at least two theories as to why the 1918 flu pandemic had such a high mortality rate.

• A cytokine storm. Basically the immune system triggers an overly aggressive response. Requires a healthy immune system. Some think this is why bird flu had such a high mortality rate.
  • Overcrowding, malnutrition and poor hygiene resulting in bacterial super infections.

Take your choice.

2 hours ago, fygjam said:

First, lets be clear the flu virus and corona virus are not the same or even related.

There are at least two theories as to why the 1918 flu pandemic had such a high mortality rate.

• A cytokine storm. Basically the immune system triggers an overly aggressive response. Requires a healthy immune system. Some think this is why bird flu had such a high mortality rate.
  • Overcrowding, malnutrition and poor hygiene resulting in bacterial super infections.

Take your choice.

Lack of contact with various childhood diseases, overuse of antibiotics ( I know they don't work on a virus) and overuse of cleaning products have weakened our immune system in the west.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, karon steve said:

The bigger the media storm the worse China looks in the eyes of the world. Is this coincidental?

Good point. It's sure the US (Trump) will at a moment make arguments out of this event in order to try to reduce China's power and image.

But China has survived worse events in its history.