COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

12 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

FFS, was at the ATM this morning here

Did you sanitize your hands after touching the keypad or picked your nose and rubbed your eyes just to make sure?

Edited by fygjam
  • Haha 1

Second batch of French repatriated from China yesterday.

Good to see our government has a sense of humour and chartered them a nice A380, coloured like they were returning from some exotic holiday !

MjAyMDAyN2NiMmU4MTAzNGU5MzUzMWQ5NmI2NDJkZjY0ZDA5Yjk.jpeg.jpg

The guys outside the plane at 50 or 100 m distance in full protection gear is a bit exagerating IMO .....

I fully agree with this guy :

The modern history of these world-ending pandemics is that they are much ado about nothing from an investment perspective. If anything, they are good short-term buying opportunities. I added some Disney on weakness last week. From a personal perspective, I can't worry about what I can't control. I can pick up the trash from my street and be diligent about recycling, but I can't stop the Chinese from dumping plastic into the oceans. I can do everything reasonable to keep my family healthy, but if there is a tidal wave of coronavirus that wipes out half the world's population there is nothing I can do about it. I suppose I could build a bunker and stockpile ammunition and tp, but why?

Something not yet mentionned on here is the worlwide economic impact of this event. When SARS broke out, China did not yet had a enormous lever on the world economy. Nowadays it is the world 2nd economy, and through the Belt &Road project is strongly present in many countries. 

Here after 2 stories of the impact that this virus event could have on the region's and the world economy if it drags on and/or gets worse.

Thailand :

https://www.asiatimes.com/2020/02/article/cash-over-caution-in-thailands-viral-response/

Indonesia :

https://www.asiatimes.com/2020/02/article/indonesia-slams-the-door-on-all-things-china/

The 2 countries have completely different approaches, in Indonesia's case it is explained by the rather recent history and difficult relationship between the 2 countries, going back a few decades.

Good article on cnn.com about China's attempts to cover up the initial reports of the virus.

This Chinese doctor tried to save lives, but was silenced. Now he has coronavirus

(CNN)On December 30, Li Wenliang dropped a bombshell in his medical school alumni group on the popular Chinese messaging app WeChat: seven patients from a local seafood market had been diagnosed with a SARS-like illness and quarantined in his hospital.

Li explained that, according to a test he had seen, the illness was a coronavirus -- a large family of viruses that includes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).
Memories of SARS run deep in China, where a pandemic in 2003 killed hundreds following a government cover up. "I only wanted to remind my university classmates to be careful," he said.
I only wanted to remind my university classmates to be careful

Li, a 34-year-old doctor working in Wuhan, the central Chinese city at the epicenter of the deadly coronavirus outbreak, told his friends to warn their loved ones privately. But within hours screenshots of his messages had gone viral -- without his name being blurred. "When I saw them circulating online, I realized that it was out of my control and I would probably be punished," Li said.
He was right.
Soon after he posted the message, Li was accused of rumor-mongering by the Wuhan police. He was one of several medics targeted by police for trying to blow the whistle on the deadly virus in the early weeks of the outbreak. The virus has since claimed at least 425 lives and sickened more than 20,000 people globally -- including Li.

Coronavirus...... so far only 2 things have been found that stop people contracting this deadly virus...... the first is a full biohazard suit with built in respirator and face guard....... and the second........ seems to be a bus drivers license..... 

cvr.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Surprised 1

It's looking like the number of new infections has leveled off, so hopefully the mass hysteria over the virus will now subside.

Edited to add: The final data point is for the 5th which has a ways to go before EOD stats are in, so it's premature to say new infections have leveled off.

I also cringe when I see headlines like this, Coronavirus global death toll soars to nearly 500, that feed the mass hysteria. The use of the word "soar" implies an accelerating death rate when that's not the case.

Screen Shot 02-05-20 at 08.07 AM.JPG

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Like 1

Madness....

But knowing the HKG herd mentality and tendancy to exagerate things, I am not surprised....

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3049082/coronavirus-10000-queue-masks-hong-kong

"Thousands of Hongkongers camped out overnight in the cold after a company said it would release 6,000 boxes of surgical masks for sale during citywide shortages caused by the coronavirus outbreak.

Luck Well International Holdings in Kowloon Bay urged people to stop joining the queue at 1.30am on Wednesday but within hours the desperate crowd had swollen to 10,000."

3 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Madness....

But knowing the HKG herd mentality and tendancy to exagerate things, I am not surprised....

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3049082/coronavirus-10000-queue-masks-hong-kong

"Thousands of Hongkongers camped out overnight in the cold after a company said it would release 6,000 boxes of surgical masks for sale during citywide shortages caused by the coronavirus outbreak.

Luck Well International Holdings in Kowloon Bay urged people to stop joining the queue at 1.30am on Wednesday but within hours the desperate crowd had swollen to 10,000."

Improvise!

mask.jpg

• Haha 3

A good mate of mine lives near Nanjing with his Chinese missus.The UK FO has advised Brits to get out of China ASAP but his missus doesn't have a UK pp.I rang the FO in the UK today & they said for him to ring the consular office in China to register with them.Trouble is they(the Chinese) won't let Chinese nationals onto the aircraft without a visa for the destination country.The agency where he usually gets her visa from is closed until the 16th and also the consulate has sent a load of people home so it'll probably take ages to get a visa.The FO told me they are lobbying the Chinese government to allow their citizens to leave without a visa for their destination but I'm not holding my breath.

As an aside before I eventually got through to someone who spoke sense at the FO I was sent around the houses & listened to lots of taped messages.One for the `UK visa department said it cost £1.37 per minute to speak to them on top of normal call charges and a credit/debit card was required before you're put through.

"Thousands of Hongkongers camped out overnight in the cold after a company said it would release 6,000 boxes of surgical masks for sale during citywide shortages caused by the coronavirus outbreak."

I wonder how many of those freebies ended up for sale?

10 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

The Honkies are now in proper panic mode.....  figthing over toilet paper  FFS !

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3049410/coronavirus-hongkongers-panic-buying-rice-toilet

i think you would find the same happening in paris  and london if the virus was that close...and the SARS memmories

52 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

i think you would find the same happening in paris  and london if the virus was that close...and the SARS memmories

Cant see the relation with toilet paper ?

A rush on shampoo or soap, yes.

I think the panic originates in the border with the mainland partial closure, which will hamper the import of goods from China. Container ships have been rerouted also. Remember EVERYTHING in HKG is imported. 

No doubt the SARS epidemie has traumatised them.

Is suffices that somebody launches a "warning" on social media for everybody to rush to stores to stock up.

And then of course comes in the famous Chinese entrepreneur spirit, meaning you buy 10 boxes, hoard them, and later resell them with a nice profit.

Edited by Thai Spice
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Cant see the relation with toilet paper ?

A rush on shampoo or soap, yes.

I think the panic originates in the border with the mainland partial closure, which will hamper the import of goods from China. Container ships have been rerouted also. Remember EVERYTHING in HKG is imported. 

No doubt the SARS epidemie has traumatised them.

Is suffices that somebody launches a "warning" on social media for everybody to rush to stores to stock up.

And then of course comes in the famous Chinese entrepreneur spirit, meaning you buy 10 boxes, hoard them, and later resell them with a nice profit.

I agree China shutdown with trade grinding to a halt

Be the same with Prosecco in the UK if it were  isolated !!  priorities

• Haha 2