Air Asia - U-Tapao International Airport

john luke

I am thinking of a short trip to Chaing Mai from Pattaya.

One option is as above.  Another option for around same price is fly from BKK on Bangkok Airways, an airline that I like.

A saving in time and cost travelling to U-Tapao rather than BKK.

i have never used Air Asia.

Any observations from members?

Used them from Phuket , Don Muang , Buriram (in fact have booked the cases in straight through to Phuket from Buriram ) and Pattaya never any problems or delays (obviously there will be sometimes) 

Clean and modern airline and the app is streets ahead of BKK Air too. 

Flew air Asia utp to udon thani a couple of years ago, so info might be out of date.

Taxi from pattaya 700b, and about 45 minutes (0500hrs). Return taxi I had to ring when I landed, as he wouldnt/couldn't/didnt-want-to park up and meet me inside. Return journey, 1 hour, as afternoon rush hour.

Cheap flight, no food, no lounge, nothing to do at utp (it's been rebuilt/enlarged since I was there) at 0600hrs. Not even a coffee.

I vaguely remember being able to book a flight from Pattaya... they picked you up by minivan from central festival, and returned you there. No idea of extra cost or timings.

Flights were punctual and uneventful.

^ the Airport has completely changed , loads of shops and eating places now .. still an issue with taxi pickups , but I just call my driver as soon as my bags appears and she drives from the car park to pick me up outside 

I haven't flown with AA , but might be tempted with a direct flight to CM 

• Thumbs Up 1

Either airline is fine and I quite like Bangkok Airways' lounge in BKK.  If you have Priority Pass or similar you can get into the Blue Ribbon Lounge next door which is even nicer.  If your flight time suits, the Bell's Bus to BKK is cheaper than a taxi unless there's 3 or more travellers.

Transport to UTP remains contentious as there are numerous reports on line of the 250 baht shared minibuses forcing you to use them as a private hire, and private taxis including Uber being chased off the airport grounds.  If you want the Air Asia bus, make sure you book from Pattaya - Downtown Central Festival (3AK) as opposed to Utapao (UTP) and it'll cost 220 baht  per person per leg.  Mr T refused  to take me a few weeks ago but I have somewhere the name of a company who picked up a mate on his recent return if you want it.

I have used Air Asia many times on domestic routes, I have flown quite a few Udon Thani to Pattaya round trip flights as well as from their Don Muang hub to/from Phuket, Khon Kaen, Nakhon Si Thamarat etc.  I think they are a very good airline, occasionally have a few delays but probably no more than the other main airlines.  I would prefer to travel Bangkok Airways I suppose but there is nothing wrong with Air Asia as an option within Thailand.

33 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

utpao is brilliant, air asia are jets, BKK air are props.  theyt are borth basic but short tirps

Think the Bangkok Chiang Mai option on Bangkok Airways will be a jet although they do use props on many routes, great fun, like a big dipper.

58 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

Also no problem with Air Asia outside of Thailand, at least my flight to Noi Bai (Ha Noi) was without problem.

Yes same here .. flying to China no problems at all only the flight is full of Chinese who seam to have no manners what's so ever..

3 hours ago, Freee!! said:

Also no problem with Air Asia outside of Thailand, at least my flight to Noi Bai (Ha Noi) was without problem.

And I agree, I was just highlighting that Thai Air Asia were good for his choice route. 

I have flown Air Asia to Kota Kinabalu, Kuala Lumpur, Seoul, Clark, Hong Kong and Singapore, every flight was excellent.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1