U.K. to ban new gas vehicles, diesel cars by 2035

fforest

I don't believe it can be done so soon....

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/uk-to-ban-new-gas-vehicles-diesel-cars-by-2035-2020-02-04

LONDON (AP) — Britain announced Tuesday that it plans to ban the sale of new gas and diesel cars by 2035 — five years earlier than its previous target — in a bid to speed up efforts to tackle climate change.

The announcement was timed to coincide with the launch of Britain’s plans for the United Nations’ climate summit, known as COP26, which is scheduled to be held in Glasgow in November.

Edited by fforest

They are planning to stop installing gas central heating in all new homes too and we'll all heat with electric. The numpties that come up with this nonsense don't bother to think up viable alternatives for the average man on the street which is where most will be because all these ecologically friendly initiatives have made the UK so noncompetitive that most blue collar workers will be unemployed in the next 20 years. All the things we used to make are being made by the likes of China using fossil fuelled electricity hence making the matter worse not better.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, bexwell said:

They are planning to stop installing gas central heating in all new homes too and we'll all heat with electric. The numpties that come up with this nonsense don't bother to think up viable alternatives for the average man on the street which is where most will be because all these ecologically friendly initiatives have made the UK so noncompetitive that most blue collar workers will be unemployed in the next 20 years. All the things we used to make are being made by the likes of China using fossil fuelled electricity hence making the matter worse not better.

And even if the UK became entirely carbon neutral it will be like a pimple on an elephants arse.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

FFS, where is the charging network, just to start with ?

It's being implemented in London, now.  Three charging stations have recently appeared within a tem minute walk of my place in SW19. and I  saw one near Tower Bridge a couple of years ago.

23 minutes ago, cosceguinhas said:

It's being implemented in London, now.  Three charging stations have recently appeared within a tem minute walk of my place in SW19. and I  saw one near Tower Bridge a couple of years ago.

Not contesting that E.V. may have a bit of future in the cities, but nationwide ?

The things are simply too expensive, and inconvenient for long trips. Not even speaking about the important loss of autonomy in cold weather and use of the heater. Plus the wipers.... its not like you never use those things in Brexitannia !

Of course in 10 y the technology will have improved, but still, dreaming of selling ONLY E.V. in 2030 is a mirage.

58 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Not contesting that E.V. may have a bit of future in the cities, but nationwide ?

The things are simply too expensive, and inconvenient for long trips. Not even speaking about the important loss of autonomy in cold weather and use of the heater. Plus the wipers.... its not like you never use those things in Brexitannia !

Of course in 10 y the technology will have improved, but still, dreaming of selling ONLY E.V. in 2030 is a mirage.

You may well be right, but I can see a future for hybrids outside the cities, and it's city driving with its constant stop/start that uses up much more fuel than on motorways or quiet country roars.

As for a complete ban, that does seem ambitious.

2 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Once all these charging points are all installed & used what happens to the national grid & my ability to make a cup of tea?

France will build you a new nuclear power plant.

Just budget large, and allow for 15 years.... Although, now of course you may be entitled a special "friendship" price !

11 hours ago, galenkia said:

Watch new sales go through the roof the last few years before the ban. 

i was wondering about that.  as an ex car dealer, I can see car values plummeting.  in the Uk most seem to buy on a lease type deal,   thats cheap because its based on a residual value, "guess"timated by a book.  if they residual values are set lower, the payments will rise and no one will buy

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Why do you think they are building high speed rail in countries every where?....The elite sure as heck wont be riding rail...That will only be for the middle class and poor people.....Their plan is to make driving so expensive only the rich will be able to afford it......This will take another 30-40 years to fully kick in so I dont think many here will be around to see its full implementation...

They are getting a bit cocky after the success they are having with banning plastic so they are trying to speed the car agenda up....But I don't think the car banning is going to be quite so easy... 

Edited by fforest
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, fforest said:

Why do you think they are building high speed rail in countries every where?....The elite sure as heck wont be riding rail...That will only be for the middle class and poor people.....Their plan is to make driving so expensive only the rich will be able to afford it......This will take another 30-40 years to fully kick in so I dont think many here will be around to see its full implementation...

They are getting a bit cocky after the success they are having with banning plastic so they are trying to speed the car agenda up....But I don't think the car banning is going to be quite so easy... 

You really believe this stuff ? Please.....  this is not credible. 

25 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

You really believe this stuff ? Please.....  this is not credible. 

Look no further than central London......Poor people don't drive there because they cant afford to pay the toll to drive there every day....For the well-off the toll is chump change so they can drive there every day..........This is not the future this is now....Ok now just apply this pricing model to cars themselves....And its not so far fetched...

1 hour ago, fforest said:

Who is they and their. Got any names (and proof)?

8 minutes ago, fygjam said:

We've certainly been able to fuk it up!

No, we haven't, but feel free to live by your own beliefs.  Rip out your air conditioning.  Sell your car.  Stop showering.

Ok, you're probably already doing some of that....

40 minutes ago, fygjam said:

We've certainly been able to fuk it up!

29 minutes ago, alias said:

No, we haven't, but feel free to live by your own beliefs.  Rip out your air conditioning.  Sell your car.  Stop showering.

Is that just your belief or do you have hard scientific evidence.