U.K. to ban new gas vehicles, diesel cars by 2035

fforest

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

My concern is how everybody would go about their business when it takes around 35 mins to charge a vehicle for a short ride distance of about 100 miles, a full charge can take about 8 hours. Everybody would have to have a charging point at their home location for this to work as charging around the country whilst traveling would see a complete gridlock surely. 

I think the overall aim is to take many cars off the street

We are changing one of our cars early next year as it’s 3 years old by then. We have already chosen which model PHEV it will be and where our charge point will go. This will replace a petrol car, which the wife mainly uses to run our son around on local journeys.

I’ve even chosen the model of charger (7kw) so a full charge would take around 1.5 hours and give a battery range of 30+ miles, (then the petrol motor kicks in) so around a third of her daily usage. The approximate cost of the charger is £900, but a government grant (£600) reduces the cost to around  £300+ for us to pay.

The problem will be for those houses that don’t have off street parking or driveways, or who live in hi rise apartments, usually with insufficient parking, where the hell do they charge their vehicles?

Even with super fast chargers which are extremely expensive, you will still have people scrabbling around to find a charger every day, rather than filling up at a fuel pump a couple of times a week. 

The other elephant in the room, is what will the government replace their lost fuel tax receipts with, it will have to be raised by either higher VAT on electricity, or a pay per mile tax, or possibly a mix of the two.

Let’s face it, here in the UK at least, governments have been crap at pricing/planning past or present infrastructure projects, (HS2) so the chances of them rolling out the required charging systems on time and on budget, are pretty remote, but that’s just my opinion.

Edited by KhunDon
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

11 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

The other elephant in the room, is what will the government replace their fuel tax receipts with, it will have to be raised by either higher VAT on electricity, or a pay per mile tax, or possibly a mix of the two

That's a brilliant point, circa £28 billion hole to fill

16 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

That's a brilliant point, circa £28 billion hole to fill

There are approximately 25 million homes in the UK, most of which will be screaming to have Off Peak electric meters fitted, not to mention the business that will want off peak power for their vehicles. 🤔

9 hours ago, KhunDon said:

There are approximately 25 million homes in the UK, most of which will be screaming to have Off Peak electric meters fitted, not to mention the business that will want off peak power for their vehicles. 🤔

Time to buy shares in the manufacturers 😀

Guess one certainty is the government will keep ramping up the petrol fuel duty, probably punitively on the remaining second-hand cars.

Edited by Lemondropkid

6 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Nobody spoke yet about the O&G industry lobby ?

I suppose they will do everything they can for this not to happen or at least to delay it forever ?

Don't think the O&G industry has the same leverage in the UK- take the UK government banning fracking (well pausing anyway)

13 hours ago, bexwell said:

I used to have a Renault Megane and the electrics on that were a nightmare.

But it was brilliant on diesel. 166 mile drive from a cold start, I reset it before I set off. A remapped 1.9dci 

WP_20150901_001.jpg

• Like 1