U.K. to ban new gas vehicles, diesel cars by 2035

fforest

29 minutes ago, john luke said:

A few persuasive facts would be good on this thread.  How about it gents? 

Do you own a car?  A motocy?  Imagine they are made illegal, not 15 years from now, but tomorrow.

What do you do?  More to the point, what do you want to do, but are now unable?

This.  Is.  Quackery.

31 minutes ago, john luke said:

What. You mean like

• The 10 hottest years in human existence occurred in the past 20 years.
  • Atmospheric CO2 levels are the highest in human existence.

4 minutes ago, alias said:

Do you own a car?  A motocy?  Imagine they are made illegal, not 15 years from now, but tomorrow.

What do you do?  More to the point, what do you want to do, but are now unable?

This.  Is.  Quackery.

When you see the word imagine you know it's not fact, persuasive otherwise.

5 minutes ago, fygjam said:

I guess we know who can't drum up any facts.

I guess we know who knows what forum we're in, and who doesn't.  You're trying to turn this into one of the bickering forums, and I'm not playing.

Toddle off, now...

GUEST_f9a5e4aa-d766-4797-b7ae-053026cd0f

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, john luke said:

27 minutes ago, alias said:

I guess we know who knows what forum we're in, and who doesn't.  You're trying to turn this into one of the bickering forums, and I'm not playing.

Toddle off, now...

GUEST_f9a5e4aa-d766-4797-b7ae-053026cd0f

I've been merely responding to a moderator's request for "persuasive facts" although I'm more than happy to point out your complete lack of them.

I wonder what the penalty for "contempt of moderator" is.

Without doing much research :

- E.V. are at the moment very expensive, not convenient for the majority of people. Not enough autonomy, loss of autonomy in cold weather or when using A/C, etc...

- Many of the people buying them is for the "show", and "being different". Seen it in HKG. And obvious in California, where it is important to be seen as somebody following the latest trends.

- In countries like Norway, which has the highest EV penetration rate, it is mainly because the govt financial incentives to buy elec cars, or disincentives (taxation) to buy I.C. cars. In China there are quotas on IC vehicles in some cities, pushing the people to go for EV.

- Now, when say about 30% or more of the cars bought in a country will be EV, do you think the incentives will stay ? Of course not, EV will become just an ordinary car. It will be taxed as now IC cars are, and all the other benefits like using buslanes, free parking, free access to CBD will disappear. Otherwhile how does the government is going to compensate the loss of the taxes on all those cars ? Do you think charging will remain free or cheap ?

- What about the recycling of batteries, which now for ordinary car batteries is already a serious issue ?

- Plenty debates on it on the internet, and a very regular subject on a financial website I follow when discussing about TESLA. 

- Look at the numbers here under, good luck having all people buying ONLY eclectric cars in 10 years !

Elec cars.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john luke said:

I think the best we can do at present are guesstimates.

Scottish Power came up with this

"Scottish Power estimates that in order to achieve this, the UK needs to have 25 million charging points for electric vehicles - the equivalent of installing 4,000 a day - and 23 million electric heat pumps to replace domestic gas boilers.And all at a cost of nearly £300bn"

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50261278

4,000 a day I doubt that is physically possible

Cost of £300 billion, bear in mind we don't know if the whole HS2 project will go through- the Government's finger in the air is coming up with £100 billion. As we are arguing over whether we have 100 for the trains, where does 300 come from for the charging points.

This of course doesn't speak to the where the additional electricity will come from and how it will be generated.

I've no problem with this as an aspirational target but given the financial and logistic challenges it won't happen😀

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Not contesting that E.V. may have a bit of future in the cities, but nationwide ?

The things are simply too expensive, and inconvenient for long trips. Not even speaking about the important loss of autonomy in cold weather and use of the heater. Plus the wipers.... its not like you never use those things in Brexitannia !

Of course in 10 y the technology will have improved, but still, dreaming of selling ONLY E.V. in 2030 is a mirage.

Looks like we stopped the horse meat scandal just in time, I better start saving up for a horse and cart.

9 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

And obvious in California, where it is important to be seen as somebody following the latest trends.

Elec cars.jpg

California even has new Apartment complexes installing charging stations on their properties. Gotta keep up with the times when you live in the Golden State!

On 2/5/2020 at 11:43 AM, bob lt said:

Or more accurately, new petrol and diesel vehicles  :default_cool:

Hybrids and PHEVS as well I believe, but Hydrogen cars will be ok. 
Can’t see it happening without massive infrastructure investment for the installation of charging points etc. 
The other problem will be producing enough batteries at an affordable price. 

My concern is how everybody would go about their business when it takes around 35 mins to charge a vehicle for a short ride distance of about 100 miles, a full charge can take about 8 hours. Everybody would have to have a charging point at their home location for this to work as charging around the country whilst traveling would see a complete gridlock surely. 

I think the overall aim is to take many cars off the street

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

France will build you a new nuclear power plant.

Just budget large, and allow for 15 years.... Although, now of course you may be entitled a special "friendship" price !

I used to have a Renault Megane and the electrics on that were a nightmare.

• Haha 3