Incident in Korat (Threads Merged)

Smiler

Interesting other side of the story (if confirmed ?).
Doesn't justify his act, but good to know.

Indeed it doesn,t justify his act.
Its the explanation why an otherwise good army lad in a responsible position suddenly went haywire. Can,t blame the heat, its cool season.

Sent from my SM-J610F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A few questions I have :

- why does an army sergent has a gun with live ammo, in a army base in country, in peacetime ?  

- considering a sergeant weapon will be only a side arm (pistol) how did he get so easily access to M16 (?) and ammo 

- how after having shot his superior did he managed (besides getting weapon and ammo), to get a Humvee and leave the base without being stopped ?

Some serious problems in procedures and safety here IMO !

An article from Asia Times on this event :

https://www.asiatimes.com/2020/02/article/thai-mass-shooting-shows-lack-of-military-discipline/

My oldest son hangs out in there every weekend with his classmates. School is just around the corner. Knew my Mrs was collecting a phone from there yesterday morning.

Had a really horrible few hours yesterday evening trying to call and nobody answering but eventually got through.

Everyone fast asleep in bed didn't hear me call. !!!!

Wrote before how much I can't stand the place ...... shooter is dead now and 26 lives gone with him.

Tragic how life can change in a second R.I.P the innocent. 

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

4 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

A few questions I have :

- why does an army sergent has a gun with live ammo, in a army base in country, in peacetime ?  

- considering a sergeant weapon will be only a side arm (pistol) how did he get so easily access to M16 (?) and ammo 

- how after having shot his superior did he managed (besides getting weapon and ammo), to get a Humvee and leave the base without being stopped ?

https://www.asiatimes.com/2020/02/article/thai-mass-shooting-shows-lack-of-military-discipline/

Even in peacetime an army has to train for war,which requires the use of firearms.This guy was by all reports a high ranking NCO,a Sergeant Major,who probably would've had access to these weapons.With his rank comes responsibility which was obviously misplaced.

• Great Info 1

12 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Even in peacetime an army has to train for war,which requires the use of firearms.This guy was by all reports a high ranking NCO,a Sergeant Major,who probably would've had access to these weapons.With his rank comes responsibility which was obviously misplaced.

Sergent major (doesn't exist in France) would be after sergent chef. Not soo high .

I remember from my days that live ammo drills were something serious. Weapons held in the armory , need to be signed for, returned, ammo counted etc...

And I know from my son, that nowadays it is even more procedurial.  We're speaking peace time in a standard military base in your own country. 

No idea about Thai army, but still it surprises me. 

On the other hands cops have their (loaded) gun in the drawer of their desk.... so who knows ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Sergent major (doesn't exist in France) would be after sergent chef. Not soo high .

I remember from my days that live ammo drills were something serious. Weapons held in the armory , need to be signed for, returned, ammo counted etc...

And I know from my son, that nowadays it is even more procedurial.  We're speaking peace time in a standard military base in your own country. 

On the other hands cops have their (loaded) gun in the drawer of their desk.... so who knows ?

In the Brit army SM is second only to Warrant Officer I think.

Thailand has one of the highest gun ownerships per capita in the world from what I've read....

12 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Sergeant major is about the highest non-commissioned officer rank and comes de facto with a lot more responsibility than the lowest commissioned officer ranks.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

41 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

In the Australian army, sergeant major is a position, warrant officer is a rank.

E.g. Within an infantry battalion, the company sergeant majors are WO2, the regimental (battalion) sergeant major is a WO1. There maybe other warrant officers within the battalion but they are not sergeant majors.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, fygjam said:

In the Australian army, sergeant major is a position, warrant officer is a rank.

E.g. Within an infantry battalion, the company sergeant majors are WO2, the regimental (battalion) sergeant major is a WO1. There maybe other warrant officers within the battalion but they are not sergeant majors.

Quite possibly in the Brit army as well.

https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/our-people/ranks/

Edited by coxyhog

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

A Sergeant Major is in the Non Commission Ranks and that rank is near the top of the NCO ranks.

Those ranks do not have Commissioned Officers... that is the Officer's Corp.

His rank would have given him access to areas where other low ranking NCOs would not have.

A Sergeant Major would also be authorized to have access to most areas and also have the right to draw keys to access those areas and also some vehicles.

cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lanzalad said:

There's some awful stuff flying around on social media ie videos and photo's.

People should have more respect and not just care about posting awful stuff like that.

I honestly can't understand why someone would photograph or video a dead person and then post it on social media. 

3 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

A few questions I have :

It wasn't just an M16, but he also had a belt fed machine gun, an M-60.

I was wondering the same thing, how the hell did he get access to such heavy weaponry. But then I read a news report, which I can't find now, that said one of the first people he killed was the a person in charge of guarding the base armory. Whoever that guy was, he deserves a medal for giving his life to stop the carnage that followed. If only...

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Thailand has one of the highest gun ownerships per capita in the world from what I've read....

Yes, super easy to get a gun here ... getting it registered is another story ... 

There are a shit load of guns here in Thailand .... a shit load

2 hours ago, Murchie said:

I honestly can't understand why someone would photograph or video a dead person and then post it on social media. 

Pretty easy to understand .. fucking sicko's

Beach Gal watched this shit on TV and the internet all day ( she was consumed ) ... she kept telling me to watch this and that ... dead people ...

I took Ziggy outside the door and strolled about 75 yards to the sea and hung out there most of the day ...

I think the building where this happened are "doomed" after this catastrophe .. you know Thais and their ghosts .... 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Beach Gal watched this shit on TV and the internet all day ( she was consumed ) ... she kept telling me to watch this and that ... dead people ...

I took Ziggy outside the door and strolled about 75 yards to the sea and hung out there most of the day ...

I think the building where this happened are "doomed" after this catastrophe .. you know Thais and their ghosts .... 

What a carry on.... scared of ghosts but happy to take photos or film dead people... what a joke.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, nampla69 said:

My oldest son hangs out in there every weekend with his classmates. School is just around the corner. Knew my Mrs was collecting a phone from there yesterday morning.

Had a really horrible few hours yesterday evening trying to call and nobody answering but eventually got through.

Everyone fast asleep in bed didn't hear me call. !!!!

Wrote before how much I can't stand the place ...... shooter is dead now and 26 lives gone with him.

Tragic how life can change in a second R.I.P the innocent. 

Namps,

Khun S so glad the family are all safe,must have been a few hours of worry mate?

regards

grayray

• Thumbs Up 1

All will be well with the Shopping Centre. The owners and powers to be will bring in the head Monk along with a few hundred more and have a big cleansing ceremony to rid the complex of any ghost and declare it ghost free. All this will be televised live..... and all will be happy … and business will continue as usual. I would not be surprised if after that..... some will travel from other provinces to shop there and get the standard selfie. The place will survive for sure.

cheers 

• Thumbs Up 3

11 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

good on ya mate,taking Ziggy to the beach,

let her keep her innocence for as long as she can.

regards

grayray

Edited by grayray

13 minutes ago, grayray said:

good on ya mate,taking Ziggy to the beach,

let her keep her innocence for as long as she can.

regards

grayray

Yea Bro ... I guess in a certain way I don't blame Beach Gal for being "consumed" .. she really is a pretty innocent gal ... it still amazes me how we ended up together ... the "bad" guy and the "good girl " -- lol .....  but, I am serious when I say that .....

Ziggy .. for sure .. doesn't need to start asking me questions about shit like that ( because I cannot give her any reasonable answer ) and she is a curious little soul ... man ... the questions I get now .. lol .. lol .. lol

Better this way for me and Ziggy .. anyway ...  that is the standard part of our day to hit the beach and get out on the sea .... I am going to miss that time we spend together when she starts school ....

• Like 1