Visitor Numbers in Pattaya - Up - down - no change?

john luke

Ive found it to be pretty busy overall. 

In our hotel/appartement block, on the streets, in the bars and in the restaurants. 

While im sure some bars are suffering others seem to be thriving so I cant help but wonder whether these claims of no tourists mostly come from bar owners without customers and what they are doing wrong? 

I have hardly spent any time on Beach Road and Walking Street though. 

main hotels are mpty.  the weekend sees a few from bkk but on the whole they are empty.  many cutting staff, all cutting budget and the prefiction is 3 months.  reality is it will take a yea r to recover.

the 4 stars are running on fumes.  suppliers seeing cuts too and stored down on foot traffick.  nows a good time to visit

7 hours ago, tingtong2k said:

Great set of photos JL

@tommy dee - a year to recover from the whole virus matter. I don’t hold a view except that feels like a long time. But is that good for us or not?

if in 3 months time they all suddenly get well again, and we have a med to prevent it, which i dont believe, then the travel would start.  by then the year is a write off at a loss even if hotels and amusement venues are busy after that..  they should be mrketing to the west for sure.. the forgotten tourist, but that too taskes time for the cogs to grinf.   the city , sorry the country, iis in a dire state right  now for the year.  phuke i is dead. pattaya has more fo a chance because of the weekend BKK ians fleeing to get away and we are close.  the drought hasnt hit the city yet  which is good but the hot season has already started, early this year.  lets hope we get heavy monsoons , the chinsk all get better and 2021 is a better year.. else there is going to be caranage business wise

• Like 1

Just returned from my morning walk.0800 to 0900 . So much more pleasant without the Chinese clogging the place up. Only counted 4 parasails. To early for the Indians to be up and about. My friend lives in North Pattaya near a 400 room hotel catering for Chinese tour groups. No buses, no customers, will probably have to close until this is over. Shouldn't really affect the bars as mostly the Chinese don't frequent the bars that many BMs do

• Great Info 1

I received a whatsapp message from a Canadian friend of mine earlier today (Sunday) who spends 4 months each winter in Thailand, rents an apt in Central Patts but travels around the country while there, and he told me that the beach was very light with tourists and the boats that sit in Pattaya Bay that take tourists to the islands, are currently sitting empty without all the Chinese. He said they have virtually disappeared at the moment.

While it must be nice as a western expat or tourist to have the beach to themselves and much less pedestrian traffic to negotiate on the Beach Road, it can't be a very good feeling to all the vendors who earn a living in large part from catering to the Chinese tourists who make up much of their customer base.

But I would hope that the tourist board, or whatever government agency is in charge of promoting Thailand tourism, decides to make an all out effort to bring in the western tourist as they will actually spread around their spending cash into a variety of Thai hands rather than the consentrated number of folks who make their money from the organized tours of Chinese tour groups.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

I received a whatsapp message from a Canadian friend of mine earlier today (Sunday) who spends 4 months each winter in Thailand, rents an apt in Central Patts but travels around the country while there, and he told me that the beach was very light with tourists and the boats that sit in Pattaya Bay that take tourists to the islands, are currently sitting empty without all the Chinese. He said they have virtually disappeared at the moment.

While it must be nice as a western expat or tourist to have the beach to themselves and much less pedestrian traffic to negotiate on the Beach Road, it can't be a very good feeling to all the vendors who earn a living in large part from catering to the Chinese tourists who make up much of their customer base.

But I would hope that the tourist board, or whatever government agency is in charge of promoting Thailand tourism, decides to make an all out effort to bring in the western tourist as they will actually spread around their spending cash into a variety of Thai hands rather than the consentrated number of folks who make their money from the organized tours of Chinese tour groups.

Agree totally with paragraph 1 and 2.  

The road works on Beach Road are causing significant congestion and give an impression that the place is busier than it actually is.

Visited Central Festival  for dinner this evening for the first time this trip; the place was very quiet with few diners and few shoppers.

My mid morning walk along the beach has been much more peaceful without having to barge through the Chinese tour group, or tripping over the plastic plates that someone has stuck a blurred picture on, or having to decline th offer of some fruit from a vendor... although the speedboat chaps are looking eagerly in my direction hoping for a trip to koh larn, until I shake my head...

Interestingly there do seem to be more Indian groups around, although I suppose this could just be that I can now see them and they aren't hidden by the Chinese...

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Oh no .. the crowds are unbearable ... wait .. oh f**k no .. the crowds are way, way , way down ... what am I going to do ?

Never understood the concern with how many people were around. Crowds or no one around. As long as there are girls around and a few good friends or all alone. Always made do and created sanook no matter what. A good time has to be created no matter how many swinging dicks are about. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 2/17/2020 at 11:51 AM, Steelers4Life said:

Never understood the concern with how many people were around. Crowds or no one around. As long as there are girls around and a few good friends or all alone. Always made do and created sanook no matter what. A good time has to be created no matter how many swinging dicks are about. 

Yea Bro .. for sure .. I could care less ... I can get on down the road by myself ... and have a fucking blast .... I don't need anyone around to have a rip roaring time .. just faces .... and let it all be what it is ..

I don't understand why this question even exists ..year after year .. month after month .. WTF?

Who fucking cares .. because I certainly don't .... but, I guess I should be more PC ... than ask WTF?  ... lol .. lol

I guess there is only one way out ..... " I can ease out something slow "

I never feel like this ... never .... to bad for people that do ....

At the end of the day .... this is a great tune ....  everything just "happens day to day " ... a pretty good outlook on everyday life

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Like 1

A couple of areas, which I think merit being addressed:

1 Restuarants
If there are too many customers in a restuarant then one often has to wait for a table and encounter a delay in the food being prepared and served.  
If there are too few customers in the restuarant then there is the posibility of being served food which has been cooked and either re heated or partly cooked and reheated after it has stood for a significant period of time.

2 Bars
If there are no customers then the bar may feel empty or lifeless.  If a bar is too full then one may feel crowded out and suffer a delay in being served.

3 Smoking
The issue of smoking does appear to have been addressed both in restuarants and on the baht buses,but sadly not in bars.  The more crowded a bar is, then the more likely one is to be near someone who is smoking and less opportunity to move to a smoke free area in the bar.

An average of less than 20% of the population smoke.  It follows then that if there are ten other persons in the bar then two are likely to smoke; so not too difficult to avoid them and move to a clean area of the bar.  Increase that number to 20 people and you are likely to find 4 smokers.  Much more difficult to escape from their smoke.

• Thumbs Up 1