Show ID To Pay Electric Bill

forcebwithu

This is a new one. We've been using either the neighborhood Tesco-Lotus Express or 7-11 store for years to pay our electric and water bills. Today my TGF went to pay the electric bill at Tesco and they asked for her Thai ID card. She didn't have it with her so they wouldn't let her pay the bill. I went later to see if it was just Thai they were asking for ID, but unfortunately a Thai neighbor was there and being a good neighbor she used her ID so I could pay the bill.

Another neighbor reported 7-11 isn't asking for ID, so this silliness is only a Tesco thing.

Anyone else had the same experience?

There's a lengthy thread on it on another forum, so not an isolated case.  Some stores seem to know how to bypass it, but others don't or won't.  Non Thai ID seems to be unacceptable.  I'm not sure if the PEA office requires it, but I ended up paying my electricity last month using the PEA app.  Some bank apps appear to allow paying it too.

19 hours ago, KWA said:

There's a lengthy thread on it on another forum, so not an isolated case.  Some stores seem to know how to bypass it, but others don't or won't.  Non Thai ID seems to be unacceptable.  I'm not sure if the PEA office requires it, but I ended up paying my electricity last month using the PEA app.  Some bank apps appear to allow paying it too.

Our electric bill is due for payment.

We have a PEA office within the local Tesco/Lotus complex so will see what happens when I visit tomorrow.

I set up a direct debit 8 years ago to pay both the leccy and water bills. PEA was easy and done within a few weeks, but the PWA took close on six months to process the paperwork. Well worth it in the end, though, never a problem since. I opened a new savings account with SCB specifically for this purpose, the idea being that if I was to sell the house then I could settle the final bill and clear any remaining money out of the account so the PWA and PEA couldn't "mistakenly" continue charging me for the bills after I've left. Happily I'm quite content with my bungalow and have no intention of selling, but it was a sensible precaution I think.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/16/2020 at 2:39 AM, Toy Boy said:

I set up a direct debit 8 years ago to pay both the leccy and water bills. PEA was easy and done within a few weeks, but the PWA took close on six months to process the paperwork. Well worth it in the end, though, never a problem since. I opened a new savings account with SCB specifically for this purpose, the idea being that if I was to sell the house then I could settle the final bill and clear any remaining money out of the account so the PWA and PEA couldn't "mistakenly" continue charging me for the bills after I've left. Happily I'm quite content with my bungalow and have no intention of selling, but it was a sensible precaution I think.

We did much the same, but in our case it didn't take any time. The next bill after setting it up came out of the account.

One thing I found odd, PWA still charges a 10 baht commission even for direct debit.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tko said:

We did much the same, but in our case it didn't take any time. The next bill after setting it up came out of the account.

One thing I found odd, PWA still charges a 10 baht commission even for direct debit.

Yes, that's right, 10 Baht for the water and nothing for the electricity. I don't really mind as water is so cheap here and, having a fairly large garden, I use a heck of a lot of it.

Then again, SCB charge me 200 Baht/year just for the privilege of having an ATM card. <rolleyes>

• Like 1

we use ground water but my pal in the same village uses tap supply.  turns out he isnt on the mains water but some local blokes setup,   so the village had two water supplies.  seems the local guys supply has dried up and locals are pissed as the real water co wants 5-15K for hook up and meter.

thailand onleee

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2020 at 8:28 AM, Yesitisdakid said:

If you have a K bank or Bangkok bank account can pay online (maybe others as well) I pay electric Internet and topup phone online very easy and trouble free

I wanted to give this a try for my latest bill, but can't find Provincial Electricity Authority on the list of payees. I changed scanning the QR code and barcode using Bangkok Bank's mobile app and that too came up blank. What is the payee code you use to pay online?

I wanted to give this a try for my latest bill, but can't find Provincial Electricity Authority on the list of payees. I changed scanning the QR code and barcode using Bangkok Bank's mobile app and that too came up blank. What is the payee code you use to pay online?
I use K bank and I go in to pay utilities and it comes up as p e a it asked you for one of the numbers on your bill you submit it and it shows you the amount due and offers you the option to pay

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

I gather that some banks are now asking for your passport before they'll let you in, they want to see if you're from a high-risk country or not.

the idea WAS supposed to be that they ask you IF you have been to this that or the other country.  obvious lost in pigeon post.   hosptials doing the same, and they have a card with all the country flags on it for them wot dont speak thai or english

3 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I use K bank and I go in to pay utilities and it comes up as p e a it asked you for one of the numbers on your bill you submit it and it shows you the amount due and offers you the option to pay

I ended up having to install the K Bank mobile app to pay the electric bill as I couldn't find PEA using their desktop online banking, same for Bangkok Bank. And Bangkok Bank's mobile app didn't have a listing for PEA either. Strange that K Bank mobile did, but not their desktop online banking.

I ended up having to install the K Bank mobile app to pay the electric bill as I couldn't find PEA using their desktop online banking, same for Bangkok Bank. And Bangkok Bank's mobile app didn't have a listing for PEA either. Strange that K Bank mobile did, but not their desktop online banking.

Oh I thought you had the mobile app sorry yeah it's very easy to do with that app and what's great is check out cardless withdrawal at the ATM you don't need an ATM card anymore it's fast it's quick and easy

2 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Oh I thought you had the mobile app sorry yeah it's very easy to do with that app and what's great is check out cardless withdrawal at the ATM you don't need an ATM card anymore it's fast it's quick and easy

Just had a look at the instructions for cardless withdrawals and it has 11 steps to withdraw money using the mobile app. Whereas with an ATM card it would take 5 steps. Think I'll stick with using my ATM card.

Just had a look at the instructions for cardless withdrawals and it has 11 steps to withdraw money using the mobile app. Whereas with an ATM card it would take 5 steps. Think I'll stick with using my ATM card.

It's a lot simpler than it seems all you do is hit withdrawal and the amount go down to the ATM machine hit cardless withdrawal hit withdrawal on your phone you put in your PIN number to your phone and then scan the code on the machine and up Pops the money. I like the fact I don't have to carry my card

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2020 at 8:28 AM, Yesitisdakid said:

If you have a K bank or Bangkok bank account can pay online (maybe others as well) I pay electric Internet and topup phone online very easy and trouble free

That is what I do also for all of my bills ( water, electric and my fiber connection ) at my flat in BKK ... and I use the AIS phone app for my phone bill ...

Down South Beach gal pays everything at 7/11 and she has not told me she needs to produce her ID card ....... I don't know why she wastes her time going to 7/11 when she can do it all by phone but I keep my mouth shut ....