What do i need

Ma Noi

Hiya all...

Just wondered if any of you experienced expats could advise me on all the important documents I would need to take with me for my trip to Thailand..

I am an English citizen.. wanting to go for a long holiday perhaps 2 or 3 months maybe more if possible, providing all is good.... 

Ive got a uk license and a uk passport.. I already have got my IDP going to be getting a multi entry visa..

Is there any thing else that would be very important for my trip that I need to take into consideration?????

Thanks in Advance and kind Regards...

13 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Oh, and money. 

Or if you plan to used debit/credit cards, advise your bank or financial institution.

Also, although it might have changed since I was last there. Thai ATMs only accept 4 digit PINs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Or if you plan to used debit/credit cards, advise your bank or financial institution.

Also, although it might have changed since I was last there. Thai ATMs only accept 4 digit PINs.

It has. Or at least, my kasikorn atm card has a 6 digit pin, so I assume foreign cards with 6 figure pins will be accepted.

Has anyone mentioned money?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Credit/debit cards with no overseas transaction fees.  There's a few available.

Hard cash in clean, unmarked notes - as much as you are comfortable travelling with.  Proof of source of funds if over £1,000 GBP.

Tetley (or your own particular preference) tea bags.

What type of visa do you plan on getting and from where?

Do you have accommodation booked, or anything particular in mind?

As a back up on the money front, obtain one of the pay up front money cards.  I have one by Caxtons Bank PLC.  There are lots on the market.

They are not competitive in terms of exchange rate but invaluable as a back up.  If you load it with £300, then you can get 10000 baht at most ATMs in the event of an emergency.

2 hours ago, Painter said:

It has. Or at least, my kasikorn atm card has a 6 digit pin, so I assume foreign cards with 6 figure pins will be accepted.

No think its obvs you need money to travel think hes just been sarcastic hahaha....

55 minutes ago, john luke said:

As a back up on the money front, obtain one of the pay up front money cards.  I have one by Caxtons Bank PLC.  There are lots on the market.

They are not competitive in terms of exchange rate but invaluable as a back up.  If you load it with £300, then you can get 10000 baht at most ATMs in the event of an emergency.

this sounds like a good idea.. where do I buy these card from my friend? 

54 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

an easy way to handle your cash for that amount of time would be to open a Thai Bank account , you can try yourself first but if unsucessful you can use an agency like https://www.facebook.com/Tiktokservices/ then you can transfer cash quickly and cheaply using an app like Transferwise on your phone 

This also sounds like a good idea thank you for the info my friend!!

54 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

an easy way to handle your cash for that amount of time would be to open a Thai Bank account , you can try yourself first but if unsucessful you can use an agency like https://www.facebook.com/Tiktokservices/ then you can transfer cash quickly and cheaply using an app like Transferwise on your phone 

What exactly is required from a thai bank to open a bank account if I ever needed to open one? 

21 minutes ago, Ma Noi said:

What exactly is required from a thai bank to open a bank account if I ever needed to open one? 

A proper visa , the 30 day stamp isn't usually good enough .. unless you use an agency 

26 minutes ago, Ma Noi said:

It changes all the time.  I opened mine while on a 30 day visa exemption with proof of address from an apartment block's business card, and my passport.  Others report much more rigorous requests and a requirement to purchase unwanted insurance.  Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank are anecdotally the easiest banks to open an account with.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KWA said:

It changes all the time.  I opened mine while on a 30 day visa exemption with proof of address from an apartment block's business card, and my passport.  Others report much more rigorous requests and a requirement to purchase unwanted insurance.  Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank are anecdotally the easiest banks to open an account with.

That is very usefull information my friend thank you very much... 

5 hours ago, Painter said:

Yea .. mine also .. it has been like that for over 2 years ( or pretty close ) the old ones took 4 but I am pretty sure most of those ATMs have expired ...

10 hours ago, john luke said:

Type in the words caxton card in google search; alternatively try searching travel cards which should give you a list.  Also just visit a post office.

brilliant info thank you very much my friend....

On 2/17/2020 at 6:05 PM, fygjam said:

thai atms accept 6 digits for the past year at least, mine is a 6 digit,  hope that helps

2 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

thai atms accept 6 digits for the past year at least, mine is a 6 digit,  hope that helps

so if I have a 4 digit card as uk cards do will that card still work in a 6 digit ATM?

Also how would you know the difference between the ATMs has any ones card ever been swallowed up for using the wrong atm etc...

Edited by Ma Noi

1 hour ago, Ma Noi said:

so if I have a 4 digit card as uk cards do will that card still work in a 6 digit ATM?

Also how would you know the difference between the ATMs has any ones card ever been swallowed up for using the wrong atm etc...

It's not the ATM, it's the card and Bank that issued the card.

Which I kinda think you knew anyway ...

• Thumbs Up 1