WTF -- Burning Books

code_slayer_bkk

Jeez .. it seems the Gestapo all over again ... 

Burning books is totally "out of bounds" if you ask me .. every book has value .... even if you don't like it 

It figures .. and another left wing college ...

This really sucks .... can't people live together regardless of their differences ... I guess not

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/02/14/georgetown-u-library-bans-books-that-offend-students/

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Jeez .. it seems the Gestapo all over again ... 

Burning books is totally "out of bounds" if you ask me .. every book has value .... even if you don't like it 

It figures .. and another left wing college ...

This really sucks .... can't people live together regardless of their differences ... I guess not

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/02/14/georgetown-u-library-bans-books-that-offend-students/

I'd say Neil is a pretty big leftie. 

Book burning - some fucking attention seeker. WTF Code ?

3 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

They seem to banning rather burning??

Burning would put Georgetown Uni alongside Adolf.

Whether the books should be banned is a different debate. 

Have these books really been burned or is this clickbait.

Looks like you were the first to actually read the article before commenting 555 👍

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

Looks like you were the first to actually read the article before commenting 555 👍

Damn and I thought everyone did😲

For me the thought of burning a book is a really shocking thing. I read loads of the Flashman novels as a late teen. Picked one up about 3 years ago to re-read, found it crass and mildly racist. Guess I'd grown up.

Gave it and a few others to charity shop. Have no objection to anyone else enjoying, just wasn't my taste anymore. These books should be preserved as they document society at a point a time, whether I agree with it or not, right now  is irrelevant 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Damn and I thought everyone did😲

For me the thought of burning a book is a really shocking thing. I read loads of the Flashman novels as a late teen. Picked one up about 3 years ago to re-read, found it crass and mildly racist. Guess I'd grown up.

Gave it and a few others to charity shop. Have no objection to anyone else enjoying, just wasn't my taste anymore. These books should be preserved as they document society at a point a time, whether I agree with it or not, right now  is irrelevant 

I agree , the books mentioned seem to be pulp fiction from the 1950's , I doubt many people would have been reading them , If they hadn't have been removed / banned they would have just continued to gather dust on the shelves ... silly move by the Library 

3 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

One of the great things about the British Library , they keep a copy of every book published in the U.K. and Ireland .. not sure if all National libraries do the same 

British Library is a treasure.

Regardless of whether books are not to our individuals tastes keeping them and making them available marks as down as civilised society.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

They seem to banning rather burning??

Burning would put Georgetown Uni alongside Adolf.

Whether the books should be banned is a different debate. 

Have these books really been burned or is this clickbait.

Clickbait -- could be ..... you never know with the news these days until you research it ...

Just seems on the surface to me a "really" bad thing ...

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Clickbait -- could be ..... you never know with the news these days until you research it ...

Just seems on the surface to me a "really" bad thing ...

That's what these websites want you to think ... the link you provided and these three https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/georgetown-university-bans-books-offensive-to-students/ , https://amgreatness.com/2020/02/18/georgetown-library-bans-offensive-books/ , https://63red.com/article/view/255237/georgetown-u-library-bans-books-that-offend-students all have chosen a picture of a burning book to illustrate their story , even though no books were actually burned - people see the headline and the picture and that's what they take away .. these type of websites are pretty skilled at manipulation 

18 hours ago, Stillearly said:

One of the great things about the British Library , they keep a copy of every book published in the U.K. and Ireland .. not sure if all National libraries do the same 

I spent a ton of hours in the NYC Public Library when I was growing up ... that was my Moms punishment for me ... I was always in trouble when I was young and most of my time was spent on a basketball court or the library ... I started to really love the library ...

That is really cool - great -- the British Library does that .... I can' compare the NYC Public Library - but the number and topics of books in this place is vast and huge .. really huge .... 

I hope that some crazed governmental official DOES NOT start attacking libraries .. that would put me in fighting mode ....

7 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

That's what these websites want you to think ... the link you provided and these three https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/georgetown-university-bans-books-offensive-to-students/ , https://amgreatness.com/2020/02/18/georgetown-library-bans-offensive-books/ , https://63red.com/article/view/255237/georgetown-u-library-bans-books-that-offend-students all have chosen a picture of a burning book to illustrate their story , even though no books were actually burned - people see the headline and the picture and that's what they take away .. these type of websites are pretty skilled at manipulation 

Yea they are masters at this  ( skilled in manipulation )  -- but, I read the article very carefully and banning is burning to me .... sorry I mislead in the topic ...

WTF -- aren't there bigger problems in the world ?

Lets not even discuss SF .. LOL

2 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

I spent a ton of hours in the NYC Public Library when I was growing up ... that was my Moms punishment for me ... I was always in trouble when I was young and most of my time was spent on a basketball court or the library ... I started to really love the library ...

That is really cool - great -- the British Library does that .... I can' compare the NYC Public Library - but the number and topics of books in this place is vast and huge .. really huge .... 

I hope that some crazed governmental official DOES NOT start attacking libraries .. that would put me in fighting mode ....

Unfortunately it's not an full on attack in the UK , but underfunding that is destroying a lot of local libraries ...

32 minutes ago, fygjam said:

You mean propagating fake news.

propagating -- yea I agree

But manipulation and propagating ( seems the same to me -- even though I understand the difference ) -- you gotta admit -- they are masters .........

I still don't believe that people take the news seriously any more these days - especially the print news  ( I am only speaking about the USA - because that is all I know ) -- WTF ?

Most of it is all political attacks ... which I get severely tired of ... and all of these "agendas" .. Hollywood ( who gives a f**k about these people -- their whole life is pretending ) ,, the left ,, the "woke up" ,, all of this bullshit