United Arab Emirates issue Travel ban to Thailand

RR007

Ouch.....

Relevant to their citizens but already Kuwait have suspended flights in the last hour. Assume all the other ME carriers will follow suit

Was due to fly home tomorrow night lol....could be an extended stay !

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1865244/kuwait-suspends-flights-to-and-from-thailand-over-coronavirus-fears

Edited by RR007

3 minutes ago, fforest said:

Seems like one new country is being banned every few days.......If the Indians are ever banned half of Pattaya will shut down overnight...

Mamama...wait till the US ban all travel to / from all countries that have bans....

Domino effect, complete madness.....

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

If the Middle Eastern countries ban travellers from Thailand, will that also apply to people in transit to Europe, or can they still pass through?

The bigger issue is not so obvious at first

If all UAE citizens are banned than that will obviously include Captains First Officers and the rest of the cabin crews as well. I know they use other nationals but could be savage

They continue like that and in 1 month ALL international travel is banned, all cruise ships are banned, all container transport is dead, etc....

And wait till someone declares it can be transmitted by water.... no more drinking, no more shower...

Can we still breath ?

FFS, next step is Africa or India jumping in this madness..... Because, well, its not like there are no Chinese there ?

Meanwhile, a glass of wine and lunch at the beach and f**k all this shit.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

FFS, next step is Africa or India jumping in this madness..... Because, well, its not like there are no Chinese there ?

Yes, it seems implausible that India does not have any cases, given their citizens travel widely around Asia.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Yes, it seems implausible that India does not have any cases, given their citizens travel widely around Asia.

About 98% of the customers at the 100s of Indian restaurants in Pattaya are Indians.....They could not survive with out Indians even for a short period of time..........Farangs have already written off the Indian restaurants and their high prices years ago....

A India ban would be unthinkable....    

Edited by fforest
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

If the Middle Eastern countries ban travellers from Thailand, will that also apply to people in transit to Europe, or can they still pass through?

That's my concern too....

An enforced extended stay has all sorts of implications for me.... Visa expires,  contract on accomodation expires, travel insurance expires... plus I have things to do in the UK! 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, fforest said:

Seems like one new country is being banned every few days.......If the Indians are ever banned half of Pattaya will shut down overnight...

sadly. life wise, I predicted that indoa will be the next big one.  unlike thailand, cleanliness there is at a low level, poor hygeine.  if it hits india, which it has to at some point, then it will spread like wild fire..  india, pakistan etc,  it would be atomic in size

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Painter said:

That's my concern too....

An enforced extended stay has all sorts of implications for me.... Visa expires,  contract on accomodation expires, travel insurance expires... plus I have things to do in the UK! 

Yeah, I'm booked to fly back at the start of Songkran with Oman for an important hospital appointment in the UK. Oman hasn't joined the stampede yet, but it's going to come under increasing pressure to do so.

And let me guess, if your flight is banned/cancelled due to the virus outbreak it will be classed as an act of God so insurance won't cover it, and the airline won't be under any obligation to offer you compensation or an alternative at a later date. 

Sheesh, this IS starting to look serious!

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

And let me guess, if your flight is banned/cancelled due to the virus outbreak it will be classed as an act of God so insurance won't cover it, and the airline won't be under any obligation to offer you compensation or an alternative at a later date. 

No the airline itself will refund if their flights are cancelled. I suspect rerouting via different airlines would come into play though first

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

Sheesh, this IS starting to look serious!

I left the UK 2 weeks ago, and must admit I was pretty dismissive of this then.

However, it is now becoming a bit worrying. It might be problematic getting home, and I could end up being quarantined when I get there, plus I might not be able to get back to LOS in May to renew my retirement "visa" are figuring in my thoughts!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Bazle said:

I left the UK 2 weeks ago, and must admit I was pretty dismissive of this then.

However, it is now becoming a bit worrying. It might be problematic getting home, and I could end up being quarantined when I get there, plus I might not be able to get back to LOS in May to renew my retirement "visa" are figuring in my thoughts!

Well we're on Oman tomorrow and checked in normally online but another fella here on Emirates has gone to check in for Bangkok Dubai and instead of normal procedure its saying "come to airline desk at airport"

The only time I've ever had that message was when I was bumped off a flight

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RR007 said:

Well we're on Oman tomorrow and checked in normally online but another fella here on Emirates has gone to check in for Bangkok Dubai and instead of normal procedure its saying "come to airline desk at airport"

The only time I've ever had that message was when I was bumped off a flight

Interesting, I would like to hear more about this as the situation develops.

I have a relative staying with me in Thailand and she's supposed to fly back to the UK next week with Emirates via Dubai

If Emirates stops flying to Thailand, a lot of European tourist will be left stranded in Thailand, no way the European carriers can take up the slack, not even with the help of THAI and EVA (the only other airlines flying directly between BKK and Europe). And alternate routes have their own problems.

12 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

If Emirates stops flying to Thailand, a lot of European tourist will be left stranded in Thailand, no way the European carriers can take up the slack, not even with the help of THAI and EVA (the only other airlines flying directly between BKK and Europe). And alternate routes have their own problems.

KLM

Air France

Lufthansa

Finnair 

Swiss 

Turkish

To name a few?

24 minutes ago, Esco said:

KLM

Air France

Lufthansa

Finnair 

Swiss 

Turkish

To name a few?

I know, but they just don't have the capacity to take up the slack. KLM, to name just one, is usually booked solid on BKK-AMS and KLM neither has planes nor slots to spare. Similar for most if not all of the others.

12 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Flying to Turkey for 2 weeks in May.

Turkey being next door to Iran, though they have already closed the border. 

Tourism is such a big revenue for Turkey, hmmmmm

Nice country and holiday destination, but I am avoiding it for other (political) reasons. 

10 hours ago, RR007 said:

Ouch.....

Relevant to their citizens but already Kuwait have suspended flights in the last hour. Assume all the other ME carriers will follow suit

Was due to fly home tomorrow night lol....could be an extended stay !

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1865244/kuwait-suspends-flights-to-and-from-thailand-over-coronavirus-fears

Kuwait are a few days late as tens of thousands of people have left Kuwait over the last few days. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are days off due to national day and liberation day. Many locals and expats took Sunday and Monday off so they could have an extended holiday. Those tens of thousands will be coming back from European and Asian countries this coming Friday and Saturday. 

• Great Info 1

10 hours ago, RR007 said:

If all UAE citizens are banned than that will obviously include Captains First Officers and the rest of the cabin crews as well. I know they use other nationals but could be savage

Estimates on line indicate less than 10% of Emirates' aircrew (and I suspect even less cabin crew) are actually from the UAE.  Passenger numbers about the same as they're predominately a transit airline.  It should be easy enough to schedule this 10% away from the current danger areas to allow flights to continue for now.

They're still flying to Peking/Beijing and Hong Kong at the moment so any ban is hopefully still a bit  away.