Songkran canceled in Pattaya

fforest

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/03/06/pattaya-city-cancels-all-non-religious-official-songkran-activities-and-wan-lai-festival-due-to-covid19-concerns/

This afternoon Pattaya Mayor Sonthaya Khunpluem confirmed that Pattaya has cancelled most official Songkran activities for this year due to concerns of the outbreak of the Covid19 novel Coronavirus.

This includes the Wan Lai Festival on the 19, which is the single biggest event on the cities yearly calendar, attracting up to a half million tourists domestic and foreign in what is likely Thailand’s wildest Songkran party.

37 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

While I personally hate the nine days of madness around Songkran each year, I feel for the businesses and the impact this is going to have on their bottom line.

That's if they make it to Songkran. 

Edited by Murchie
  • Thumbs Up 2

this was our news same same, but not pissed off..

SONGKRAN IN PATTAYA GOES BACK IN TIME
In a statement made by Pattaya's Mayor, Sonthaya Khunpluem, today, he told the press that with the exception of the religious ceremonies connected with songkran, all other events including the elongated water festivals, that attract huge crowds in the city, are banned.
Despite objections from those businesses that gain from the annual events, he and his team had taken advice on the matter and saw the dangers of bringing so may people together in a close contact environment while COVID 19 is still an issue. the impending drought on Thailand too was a consideration and the decision was and is in the best interest of all concerned.
It had long been thought that this is the way it would be but a few hung onto the hope that despite all other events in the city being postponed, Songkran would continue as usual. that was never going to happen.
In addition to the edict, the mayor has requested ALLl businesses to support the decision, (from local small enterprises thru to shopping malls) and its likely that anyone flouting the ban will face consequences.
In the past, with other bans, some bars have taken it upon themselves to ignore them, often at their own peril as licencing is based on a commitment to keeping within the requirements of the government.
For families and local villages, water chucking aside, the festivals will go ahead, with the traditional Thai style that has almost disappeared over the past years as the tourist soak syndrome over rode it in the cities.
a chance then for tourists and visitors alike to find out what real Songkran is all about and to respect the difficult decision made by city hall today
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I enjoyed Songkran in Ayutthaya, more traditional.

Did it once in Pattaya, never again. Drunken farang wankers fucking water at you when on the bike, near crashed a few times. Should've crashed into the cunts. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

There's a big difference between the city saying that it's been cancelled and getting the locals to observe that fact. Hard to see how you can stop a bunch of Thais standing outside their homes or businesses from chucking water at other people. Get the PWA to switch off the water supply maybe, but most places will have a water tank, or they'll just dial up uncle Somchai to bring his water truck along. I'll be interested to see how this is enforced.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, andycoll said:

Considering Pattaya is in danger of running out of water by the end of April, read the excellent Shrinking Pattaya Reservoirs thread, this is a great decision, virus or not.

Thanks for the reminder, I was just thinking about coming in the summer (when the kids are free from school) as I expect tickets and hotels to be cheap  thanks to COVID-19, but if there is no water it won't be a good idea.

10 hours ago, Freee!! said:

Thanks for the reminder, I was just thinking about coming in the summer (when the kids are free from school) as I expect tickets and hotels to be cheap  thanks to COVID-19, but if there is no water it won't be a good idea.

We should be fine again for water by summer since there's a big uptick in avg rainfall in May.

Recorded_accum_rain_2019.thumb.jpg.9fe8abcc100b833c979590295fd3c38d.jpg

Until then we'll be scraping the bottom of the reservoirs for water by mid-April, if not sooner.

• Thanks 1

I can foresee that it will be even more chaos than usual.
I can’t seriously see anyone stopping the fun seeking Thais and moronic holiday makers throwing water anyway.
So now your average ex-pat who hates it all will get soaked and he will justifiably start remonstrating with whoever did it that Songkran is canceled.
Fist fight ensues.
There will be public disorder everywhere and “farangs” will feel they have some justification in starting arguments.
Avoid.

30 minutes ago, misteregg said:

I can foresee that it will be even more chaos than usual.
I can’t seriously see anyone stopping the fun seeking Thais and moronic holiday makers throwing water anyway.
So now your average ex-pat who hates it all will get soaked and he will justifiably start remonstrating with whoever did it that Songkran is canceled.
Fist fight ensues.
There will be public disorder everywhere and “farangs” will feel they have some justification in starting arguments.
Avoid.

i think u will find that bars which accomodate the gumbies despite the request, will be duly noted and either warned to stop or see an unexpected surprise.  never clever to go up against the city hall as u know

• Thumbs Up 1