COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

is the great bog paper buying that is going on here in Australia happening anywhere else?

the local woolworths or Aldi supermarkets for the last 4days has had NO tissues,NO kitchen paper NO bog paper.

I like to keep 8-12 rolls in the house,don't have a clue why,maybe that's how me old mum did it.

all I talk to don't have a clue why this mad dash to get 30/50 rolls of bog paper at a time.

shit we can always go back to newspaper or old telephone books,can't we?

I just finish watching aussie David Thompsons "Thai street food"show and I was nearly ready to get all fucking teary,i love Thai street food but it don't love me the same.he has been in BKK for a very longtime.

watch a few Thai youtubes last night,it looks so quiet in both Pattaya and BKK.

reckon it would have to be a buyers market now re-BFs or have the Thais done the usual thing, when things are slow, up the prices

anyone there have up to date prices mainly BFs and Hotels

regards

grayray

It's happening here in the States also. People figure if they are going to have to hunker down because of this virus.... then they will need to stock up on toilet paper. 

Makes sense.... just as with beer. No matter how much you buy, you are always running out.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Lantern said:

I brought a bum gun back to Oz around 10 years ago. No TP needed for me.

I thought of that,but worried about all the work to dry the place up,unlike LOS we don't have the heat,especially in winter.

reggards

grayray

7 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Toilet paper not an issue in Indonesia .......  Not used by locals.  

For instance, impossible to find in the jungle village. I "import" it from Bali ! 😄 😄😄

No problem. I'm sure they all practice the WHO recommended hand washing technique before handling your food.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, grayray said:

I thought of that,but worried about all the work to dry the place up,unlike LOS we don't have the heat,especially in winter.

reggards

grayray

Work to dry the place up?

Not sure where you are going with that grayray. I use whilst still sitting on the bog. No water gets on the floor. In fact I must have one of the few toilets in Oz with carpet on the floor.

Boat carpet that gets taken out and pressure washed whenever it is needed. I live in Northern NSW and manage to still use it over winter.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, fygjam said:

No problem. I'm sure they all practice the WHO recommended hand washing technique before handling your food.

Well, they eat with their hands....so ........

But as anybody who has worked / lived in the M.E. will know, left hand for the ass, right hand for the food....

It's all about organization...😂😂😂😁😁😁😁

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Well, they eat with their hands....so ........

But as anybody who has worked / lived in the M.E. will know, left hand for the ass, right hand for the food....

It's all about organization...😂😂😂😁😁😁😁

Sinistrality, a mostly European condition.

5 hours ago, Lantern said:

I brought a bum gun back to Oz around 10 years ago. No TP needed for me.

Every time I tried to use a bum gun I just sprayed shit all over the place except in the bog.

Larry removed all the bum guns in Secrets traps because people were using them to have a shower. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Every time I tried to use a bum gun I just sprayed shit all over the place except in the bog.

Larry removed all the bum guns in Secrets traps because people were using them to have a shower. 😀

You're meant to use the bum gun after spraying shit all over the place.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, galenkia said:

Always knew those old copies of Performance Bikes magazine would come in handy. 😀

Bit worried about the shine though lol. 

That reminds me of that bog paper of old... Izal. Worst stuff ever and just spread it all over the arse! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Aqualung said:

That reminds me of that bog paper of old... Izal. Worst stuff ever and just spread it all over the arse! 

everyone's grandad had that :)  slippery slidey but an upgrade from the news of the screws i guess

by Horizondave

An updated travel advice arrived today, think this could impact a few people.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/philippines?utm_source=cc84f62b-a962-4ea4-a7ca-79f0da9ecd9f&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

If my reading is correct they have restricted arrivals into the whole of the Philippines for those coming from the UK.  The particular paragraph is this one:

The government also announced a travel ban for all foreign nationals coming from countries reporting local transmissions of COVID-19 (This includes the UK).

Just passing on the info, apologies if this is already within a topic, I have just logged on.

Seems this may have an impact on those wishing to travel there during Songkran 

Edited  by Horizondave
  •  
  • Thumbs Up 1

• tommy dee locked and unlocked this topic

Drive-through testing has begun in a number of places in the U.S.  It's the one chance the country has to rectify its botched testing program and perhaps get on top of  the virus.

Right now, in its early days, drive-in testing is a hodgepodge of private initiatives and state and local programs. The federal government isn't direct;y involved in administering drive-through tests. The RULES for who can take a test vary from place to place.  Some require a note from a doctor or hospital, others require an appointment made by phone, while at still others you can simply drive up.   Local residents are given priority.

Screening is done in all cases.  Only people who show symptoms of COVID-19; have been outside the U.S. in the past 14 days; or have been in contact with an infected person,  will be tested.  The tests are free and it takes between two and five days to get the results.

Drive-through tests are said to be a big part of South Korea's successful testing program.  The U.S. and South Korea reported their first confirmed cases of COVID-19 on the same day in January, but S. Korea has conducted about 250,000 tests since then and the U.S. at max only about 25,000. That's a huge increase from a paltry 2,900 people tested a week ago, but still far, far short of where the U.S. should be.

A private health care provider in Delaware near where I am staying now administered 500 drive-through tests Thursday and another 1,000 Friday.  A different group conducted tests Saturday, but I haven't read how many.  If big players like Walmart and Target allow parts  of their huge parking lots to be used, not to mention shopping malls or now unused sports stadiums, the number of tests could rise exponentially overnight, ASSUMING enough test kits exist and personnel can be found to administer them.

From NBC News:

Cities turn to a new model of coronavirus testing: Drive-thrus
"It’s a new approach because these are all new problems. It keeps people in their car so they don’t walk into an emergency room and infect other people," New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said.

March 13, 2020, 3:17 PM EDT
By Elizabeth Chuck

New York state opened its first drive-thru coronavirus test site Friday in New Rochelle, the city that Gov. Andrew Cuomo has said has the biggest cluster of coronavirus cases in the country.

With 158 cases in Westchester County, many of them in New Rochelle, the city has become a hot spot not just for the outbreak but also for unique ways to track and minimize the spread of the virus. Earlier this week, Cuomo implemented a "containment zone" around a one-mile radius of the city as an emergency measure to limit movement in the area and shut down schools, houses of worship and other gathering places.

The drive-thru test site is capable of testing up to 200 people a day at the moment and will eventually be able to test 500 a day, Cuomo said. Patients must make an appointment first; priority is given to New Rochelle residents but is open to anyone living in Westchester. People with underlying conditions or those who are elderly are considered more vulnerable populations and will get appointments first.

"You want to find the positive cases because you want to be able to isolate those positive cases, and then find out who that person may have been in Touch with so you can get them the assistance they need," Cuomo said at a press conference Friday. "This is a very creative way of testing."

New York is not the first state to do this. Locations in other states, including Colorado, Washington, California, Utah, Minnesota, Delaware and Indiana, have implemented their own drive-thru test sites this week or are in the process of setting them up. The sites aim to increase the availability of tests and are part of a greater effort by hospitals from coast to coast to contain the spread of the coronavirus.

Cuomo called the drive-thru approach "not only faster and easier, it’s also smarter and safer."

"It’s a new approach because these are all new problems," he told MSNBC after his press conference. "It keeps people in their car so they don’t walk into an emergency room and infect other people."

Testing, Cuomo added, needs to become more widespread across the United States. On Thursday, a top public health official acknowledged America has failed to meet the capacity for coronavirus testing that it needs, an argument Cuomo and other lawmakers have made for weeks.

"We have to get our testing numbers way up quickly if we have a shot at slowing the spread, and this is one of the ways we’re trying to do it in the state," Cuomo said of the drive-thru center.

The swab for the test is done by medical professionals in personal protective equipment. Each appointment takes about 15 minutes, Cuomo said.

NG11.jpg.6244ac79908b55c91a7ca90daf6ec772.jpg

Image: US-HEALTH-VIRUSNational Guard troops stand by as people wait to be tested at the state's first drive through COVID-19 mobile testing center at Glen Island Park in New Rochelle, N.Y. on March 13, 2020.Timothy A. Clary / AFP - Getty Images

NH1.JPG.e98061ff72400fe6085d68d63244506a.JPG

The drive-thru model follows what health care workers in South Korea were doing weeks ago, helping that nation become a leader in testing capabilities. South Korea is doing 10,000 tests per day, while the U.S. has struggled to do a fraction of that in total.

The drive-thru tests in South Korea are free and paid for by the government. In America, places like the Mayo Clinic have said they will offer the drive-thru test at no additional charge.

But the rollout has not been without hiccups. A drive-thru center in Denver was closed due to bad weather Friday. And in Wilmington, Delaware, there was such a long line of cars, health care workers were not able to test everyone.

Photo from the Delaware drive-through:

NH2.JPG.75c31d3e0dd35dff1c945a087d218870.JPG

My brother and his wife went to France via the sea ferry from Dover yesterday with a view to have a weeks skiing in the Alps, he did an overnight in Dijon before expecting to travel on. Last night when he got back from a lovely meal in a local restaurant he was advised by his hotel to look at the news; it was then that he found out that the country was going on lock down and that also the ski resorts were closing down for the rest of season.

My brother is now crossing the north sea on route to Dover.  As he says, it is the longest he has driven for an evening's meal.

• Sad 1
  • Surprised 1

Horizondave

An updated travel advice arrived today, think this could impact a few people.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/philippines?utm_source=cc84f62b-a962-4ea4-a7ca-79f0da9ecd9f&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

If my reading is correct they have restricted arrivals into the whole of the Philippines for those coming from the UK.  The particular paragraph is this one:

The government also announced a travel ban for all foreign nationals coming from countries reporting local transmissions of COVID-19 (This includes the UK).

Just passing on the info, apologies if this is already within a topic, I have just logged on.

Seems this may have an impact on those wishing to travel there during Songkran 

• Thanks 1