COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

12 hours ago, Esco said:

This hasn't been widely communicated I believe, but the guests that were meant to stay in my apartment for 5!! weeks informed they are no longer allowed entry into the Netherlands via Schiphol after 6 PM today. 

https://www.netherlandsandyou.nl/latest-news/news/2020/03/18/q-and-a-for-entry-into-the-netherlands-travel-ban

There goes another 2 grand due to this fcukin virus. 

house here up for rent, not one viewing in 3 wks.  not worth calling the agents.  either

From the Bangkok Post:

Thais abroad protest new check-in rule

Health clearance a 'double burden'

Thais abroad who have booked flights back home risk being turned away at check-in if they cannot show a health certificate, which is difficult to get in many countries.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) on Wednesday announced that travellers from 11 more countries are required to present health certificates before boarding flights to Thailand as of Friday. The agency issued another annoucement on Thursday night to cover foreigners from all countries from Sunday.

(More)

41 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

From the Bangkok Post:

Thais abroad protest new check-in rule

Health clearance a 'double burden'

Thais abroad who have booked flights back home risk being turned away at check-in if they cannot show a health certificate, which is difficult to get in many countries.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) on Wednesday announced that travellers from 11 more countries are required to present health certificates before boarding flights to Thailand as of Friday. The agency issued another annoucement on Thursday night to cover foreigners from all countries from Sunday.

(More)

thais, with thai passports are supposed to be allowe din but if they dont have the certificate, not the insurance, then due to be quarantioned.

39 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

thais, with thai passports are supposed to be allowe din but if they dont have the certificate, not the insurance, then due to be quarantioned.

Big queues outside the Thai Embassy in London as Thai subjects wait to get "Fit to Fly" letters.  Pics from the Net.

Untitled-1THAI.jpg

Forcing people to stand for hours in long queues to get a "Fit to Fly" letter  definitely casts a Catch-22 moment- and possibly Catch-COVID-19- over the whole thing.  It appears Thais in London can also apply via email for the "Fit to Fly" letter and have it issued at a temporary facility at Heathrow.

Captureff.thumb.jpg.15feb0e41e0ab3fc1973c7686c7f925b.jpg

Edited by Evil Penevil

great fan of fox news generally in the past BUT on this issue they are minimising the  catastrophic risk and imo ,are culpable in fostering false reductionism...its much more serious than they report ...which is scandalous imo ...we are still entering the exponential phase both in UK and Australia//the latter later ...buckle down ..please please observe restrictions 

This will likely kill several members of this board .......this is the reality..in 6 months we will lose several members to this...think and reflect boardies ..... 

paul murray on sky tonight provoked me close to vomit .,.a more ridiculous and warped  take on the state of play would be hard to conjure from a rabbits hat..dangerous minimalisation..fatal minimisation......

please adhere to advise guys...see you on the other side...if im lucky

Edited by Ivan the terrible
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

brendan o'neil and paul murray will never  work again  in high viz media ...this will destroy them

murray is a smuck but brendan is an intellect..he is gone,,toast...a sad loss to the discourse

What did O'Neill say?

25 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

6 months may seem a life time to younger people but when you get older, 6 months can be a real life time and expectancy. 

Batton down the hatches now for a better future later. 

Everyone is presuming there will be a vaccine. AFAIK there's still now vaccine for either SARS or MERS which are both strains of Coronavirus. 

State Department suspending visa services at all embassies and consulates

From CNN's Jennifer Hansler

The State Department is suspending routine visa services at all embassies and consulates worldwide due to the coronavirus pandemic.
“In response to significant worldwide challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Department of State is temporarily suspending routine visa services at all U.S. Embassies and Consulates,” the department said in an advisory posted on Friday. “Embassies and consulates will cancel all routine immigrant and non-immigrant visa appointments as of March 20, 2020."
The move comes following the State Department’s issuance of a global Level 4 Travel Advisory urging Americans not to travel abroad.

The department also announced Thursday that it was suspending regular passport services and only offering services for those with “life-or-death” emergencies.

“As resources allow, embassies and consulates will continue to provide urgent and emergency visa services. Our overseas missions will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time," the department said in the advisory on Friday.

Updates from Capturek.JPG.0b28400daf14653e897903ae2cdc8d2e.JPG

Northern Italy sends patients to other regions of the country as hospital ICUs reach capacity
From Sharon Braithwaite in Rome and Pierre Bairin in Paris

A northern Italian city has been hit so hard by coronavirus that it is now sending patients who need intensive care to other parts of the country, a doctor in the city of Bergamo told CNN Friday.

“Bergamo is sending ICU patients to other regions because we ran out (of space),” Dr. Stefano Magnone, a hospital doctor in Bergamo, said. 
Magnone said that also the ICU in the hospitals in the province of Brescia are full.

“Around 50 patients were sent out of Lombardy to other regions, mainly in the south,” Magnone said. 

German global travel warning in place until end of April
From Nadine Schmidt in Berlin

Germany's worldwide travel warning, which was announced last week due to the coronavirus pandemic, will apply until the end of April, the country's Foreign Minister Heiko Maas announced Friday.

“Our warning against tourist travel abroad is valid until the end of April for the time being. It therefore includes the Easter holidays,” Maas wrote on Twitter.

New York City expected to run out of medical supplies in 2 to 3 weeks
From CNN’s Athena Jones

New York City needs 45 million surgical gowns, coveralls, gloves and face masks – known as personal protective equipment (PPE) – in April to ensure its healthcare system can deal with coronavirus-related issues, Avery Cohen, a spokesperson for Mayor Bill de Blasio, told CNN Friday morning.

This up from 25 million, as announced by de Blasio in a press conference late Thursday afternoon.

“We increased our ask,” Cohen said. “Things are constantly shifting and changing!”

UK asks 65,000 retired nurses and doctors to come back to work
From CNN’s Sharon Braithwaite in London

The United Kingdom's National Health Service (NHS) has asked 65,000 nurses and doctors who retired in the last three years to return and help tackle the “greatest global health threat” in a century.

Medical personnel with up-to-date skills and experience, including retirees, will be surveyed on what type of role they could do. Those who join the “NHS army” will be given a full induction and online training to help them to hit the ground running, said the NHS in a statement released Thursday.

“As the health service gears up to deal with the greatest global health threat in its history, my message to former colleagues is ‘Your NHS Needs You,’” said Ruth May, chief nursing officer for England.
Final-year medical students and student nurses are also being offered the chance to take temporary roles on full pay to boost frontline capacity even further, the agency said.

Similar measures are being implemented in other European countries as thousands of medical students are being fast-tracked into early service in an attempt to boost health systems across the continent that are struggling to cope with the coronavirus outbreak.

1 minute ago, fforest said:

Folks this is the end of tourist in Thailand for now......THERE WILL BE NO MORE TOURIST AT ALL except for maybe a tiny few........Is this sinking in?

CAAT_Announcement-19-Mar-20-infographic.

Further to this the Thai govt are apparently considering closing all ports of entry to tourists for 14 days.

• Like 1

Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 

Capturel.JPG.5f5c3e9dbcb09cef6e2f8ff598708d15.JPG

Summary
What is already known about this topic?

Early data from China suggest that a majority of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) deaths have occurred among adults aged ≥60 years and among persons with serious underlying health conditions.

What is added by this report?

This first preliminary description of outcomes among patients with COVID-19 in the United States indicates that fatality was highest in persons aged ≥85, ranging from 10% to 27%, followed by 3% to 11% among persons aged 65–84 years, 1% to 3% among persons aged 55-64 years, <1% among persons aged 20–54 years, and no fatalities among persons aged ≤19 years.

What are the implications for public health practice?

COVID-19 can result in severe disease, including hospitalization, admission to an intensive care unit, and death, especially among older adults. Everyone can take actions, such as social distancing, to help slow the spread of COVID-19 and protect older adults from severe illness.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ivan the terrible said:

great fan of fox news generally in the past BUT on this issue they are minimising the  catastrophic risk and imo ,are culpable in fostering false reductionism...its much more serious than they report ...which is scandalous imo ...we are still entering the exponential phase both in UK and Australia//the latter later ...buckle down ..please please observe restrictions 

This will likely kill several members of this board .......this is the reality..in 6 months we will lose several members to this...think and reflect boardies ..... 

paul murray on sky tonight provoked me close to vomit .,.a more ridiculous and warped  take on the state of play would be hard to conjure from a rabbits hat..dangerous minimalisation..fatal minimisation......

please adhere to advise guys...see you on the other side...if im lucky

There's a critical incident been declared at one London hospital already, where they can't cope with those needing intensive care due to Covid 19. 

Already!  And we're only at the start of the outbreak here.

Lots will die from Covid, but lots of others will also die from all sorts as the ICU's are full and can't take anyone else.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

In these uncertain times we can always rely on yessongs to entertain us with some eye candy. He's up there with Trump, David Attenborough and Ricky Gervais as the greatest living humans.

You're much too kind, trying to stay focused like all of us....being sheltered in place after 3 days is not so fun really. Yeah I know, we all have to do it. My other pal "Pham" texted me last night, wants to know if I can come over to her house and we can do some "pilates" together LOL! 

Like all of you, I am on complete over load with all the media 24/7...I know it's necessary, but so many conflicting stories.

Ok so now even the younger people are coming downed testing positive in record numbers and half the patients in ER in France are under 50 for this when a few weeks ago it was just us old folks at most risk? 

Ibuprofen is now not good when you have this particular fever? It may make it worse? 

Got my first "scam" call last night at 7:00pm on the landline here at the house....could tell the Nigerian accent asking me to donate to this charity that is now going to help the people in Italy. I listened to his BS, told me if I gave him my credit card #, he would just charge $25 to this charity. I politely told him not a chance. Unbelievable. 

PHAM.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, Krapow said:

Hope Trump destroys the little Chinky bastards when we get through this.

Not just trump and the US. The entire civilised world needs to turn its guns on the chinks. These fucks are gonna destroy the world one way or another.